• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.53 cooling probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gohan Z

Registered
ok here is my prob ..

i have a 2.53 ghz p4 northwood .. on an abit it7max2 motherboard .. when i first installed it i was idling at 47C and load at 55C .. now i put on artic silver 3 and swifty with 80mm delta .. i tightened it down good .. and mbm is still saying im idling at 45C and loading at 53C .. is this right ?? or maybe the it7max2 has a messed up probe ?? any advice would be appreciated

I think the motherboard could be just messed up, if your not having any crashes or I think p4 slow down when they are too hot thin I wouldnt worry about it.

well i overclocked just now to about 2.75 .. and no crashes .. but i worried that i might be idling around 60C :mad:

You're right, that data doesn't sound right.

Your probe could be the problem, but what is the airflow management like for the rest of your case? If you haven't done so already, take off the side cover and see what happens with your temps. If your temps drop with the cover off, then you know the temp probe is working (if its accurate is another matter) and the problem is that your case isn't getting enough fresh air.

And where are my manners? Welcome to the forums!

BHD

hey thanks .. ive been readings these forums for awhile ..

see i've heard about the temp probes being off .. but i wish there was a way for sure .. cuz im getting nervous when i open up mbm and hardware monitor and the bios and its like borderline 50C ..

im gonna call abit and see what they have to say about this ..

well as for my air flow thru the case .. lian li pc71 ..
all fans replaced with panaflo high flow ..

2 front intakes
1 side 120mm intake
1 top 120mm blow hole
and 4 rear 80 exhaust fans ..

maybe ill not getting enough flow into the case ?

I have a P4 1.8A Northwood and was looking to overclock it when I'm all done building my PC.
But after getting it up and going I checked in the BIOS and says Im at about 48C idling and set the CPU up to running about 2.0 and it jumped a couple degrees to over 50C.
I got nervous and shut it down afterwards.
Im using a MSI 845Gmax and a stock heatsink and fan.
I took the thermal pad off and placed a very thin layer of thermal greese.
After seeing my temps I took the heatsink back off and reapplied a slightly thicker layer of Artic Alumina.
I know it isn't as good as the Artic Silver but Im new at this and felt more comortable using a non metalic stuff :)
Anyhow my question is what is a normal temp for a P4 Northwood anyhow ?

Gohan Z said:

well as for my air flow thru the case .. lian li pc71 ..
all fans replaced with panaflo high flow ..

2 front intakes
1 side 120mm intake
1 top 120mm blow hole
and 4 rear 80 exhaust fans ..

maybe ill not getting enough flow into the case ?

your case is set up perfect
has to be the prob bro
nice air set up by the way

thanks ..
but my case temp is still 31C .. how are these people getting case temps of like 29 C

well im just measuring that from hardware monitor and mbm ??
if i do get an external temp probe .. where should i mount it in the case to get the best reading ??

Back