• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temp Problems... 55C Idle?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pauper

**EDIT:

Using APU stock fan cooler for AMD 980 BE CPU, also tried a heatsink for AM3/AM3+/FM1 CPU.

With ALL power features disabled tempatures idling around 55C
With ALL power features enabled and lowered CPU voltage -.25V idling around 40C (with ANY load the tempatures would jump to 50C+)
Happening during the night with all power features disabled -- and during the day time with power features disabled

AMD 980 BE
Gigabyta 990XA-UD5
Gigabyte 7850 OC Edition
Phantom 410 (Stock Fans)
G Skillz 2133MHz 9-11-10-28 (Set to 1600 until I get a better cooler/stable system)

**Main question, if reapplying the thermal paste correctly, which I read up how to do online, does not correct the problem should I RMA the CPU? and if I am to replace the CPU should I go with the FX-series, I have been trying to aviod them at all cost.

Please get back to me ASAP before I am unable to RMA the CPU!

**OLD:

Okay.. so I just got done building my new system. I purchased the AMD Phenom II 980 paired with the Gigabye 990XA-UD5 motherboard with 2133 RAM (SET TO 1600MHZ FOR THE TIME) with a SSD and WD 7200 hard drive.

I am using the stock cooler from my APU, the temps where 55 - 60 idle.. so I reapplied some Artic Silver 5 and the temps stayed the same. I set windows power to power saver, turned on cool & quiet and CE1.. the temps did drop to 40C but with any load at all they would instanlty jump back to 55-60C.. UGH! I tried changing to a lower end CPU cooler which is working the same with Artic Silver 5......... also I have the volts down -.25 on the CPU and NB volts.

Do I have a bad chip? My room is above room tempature.. but my case is the Phantom 410 with 4 fans... great cable management. I have never had this problem with any stock cooler. EVER. I do plan on getting a H100 when I can afford it.. but is there an issue with the chip? Stock VID was 1.4V..

Thanks..
Joel Howard

Last edited:
You could change the thermal paste and before applying the stock cooler check if it fits and have contact with the APU, you may not installed it correctly and the heatsink is in the air

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that air isn't flowing properly to the cooler, an issue I had for awhile that caused my idle to stick around 45C even with a high-end cooler. Is there anything that could possibly be blocking cool air from getting to the cooler? Are your fans set up in a proper intake and exhaust layout?

Sorry I can't offer anything more substantial but hopefully it helps :/

The cooler is for the AMD APU. The secondary cooler is designed for AM3/FM1 sockets. They are both low end heatsinks but I have never had this problem before. Also, last night when I was installing the operating system and setting up the computer with High Performance power setting, AMD C&Q disabled, CE1 disabled, the temps where still 55C.. I will check when I get home to make sure that the heatsink is making full contact with the chip but I am almost 100% sure that it is since the paste was spread across the whole chip.

Could the chip be defective? I do not mind RMAing it with newegg if I have too. If I do have to, should I go with the new FX series, I was trying to avoid them at all cost.

Thanks!

RMAing the CPU. After multiple heatsinks, reapplying the thermal paste, bios options, under volting, the CPU was idling to hot. 50C in BIOS with power features on? Sigh.. going to go with the 8150.. BD.. here I come../:

what is your case-- fan setup your using? The quads/hexa/8's run HOT... stock is anywhere up to 55-ish on idle. You definitely want to look into a aftermarket cpu cooler-- on 100% w a tuniq120 and my old antec900 case-- my 1100T was 38-42 idle/ 60 load, and my rana tri-core was 35/55.

I dont know your fan configuration on your build, but check and make sure the flow is correct. (a small piece of paper should attach if sucking/ blow away for exhaust)... and make sure you try a couple of die techniques for thermal. Personally i do the goop it on and spread with a card method as i use ceramic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100018

I am using the Phantom 410 NZXT mid-tower case. Stock comes with 3 fans 2 blowing out, 1 blowing in with plenty of ventilation. During the CPU testing I added a forth fan to blow into the case. I plan on getting a H100 when I can afford or when I sell my older build. But I will be overclocking as much as I can which is why I decided to go with the 8150. I was using Arctic Silver 5.

what is your case-- fan setup your using? The quads/hexa/8's run HOT... stock is anywhere up to 55-ish on idle. You definitely want to look into a aftermarket cpu cooler-- on 100% w a tuniq120 and my old antec900 case-- my 1100T was 38-42 idle/ 60 load, and my rana tri-core was 35/55.

I dont know your fan configuration on your build, but check and make sure the flow is correct. (a small piece of paper should attach if sucking/ blow away for exhaust)... and make sure you try a couple of die techniques for thermal. Personally i do the goop it on and spread with a card method as i use ceramic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100018

na, good on the RMA for that chip-- probably a mis-dye or something, your case shouldnt be at those temps you posted, pauper. h100 will be great vs stock... or even an h80 if your budget is tight.

na, good on the RMA for that chip-- probably a mis-dye or something, your case shouldnt be at those temps you posted, pauper. h100 will be great vs stock... or even an h80 if your budget is tight.

I got the new CPU and now I am having problems with the RAM. I have G. Skillz Ares 2133MHz. I set the timings correctly, voltage, and put them in the right slots.

For some reason the BIOS is only recognizing 4GB of RAM and the OS is recognizing 6GB of RAM only 4GB usable.

I checked the rams sticks alone and they both work giving me 4GB but when they are in Dual Channel that is when they do not work. In single channel I get 8GB of RAM.. why is this not working?

Please help!

Back