• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 drives, 1 sata 1 ide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbobc

hi,

i just tried to install my old ide hard drive on my new pc so i could have 1 HDD with xp and 1 with vista but it wouldnt work?!

my new mobo and HDD is sata2 but i have the connections for ide aswell so i made my ide drive a slave plugged in and switched on, then i went into bios the drive was recognised but in boot up config it wouldnt give me the 2 names of the drives only the master. i could only select 1 of them underneath in the hard drives menu so i went into that and the 2 were there but if i selected 1 the other wouldnt appear in boot up! i therefore selected the new drive and rebooted but when it came to load windows it wouldnt load up and went into the safe mode or start up normal screen! i tried both but it kept bringing me back to the same screen so i went into bios again and selected my sata drive and that loaded up but a little slowly and then it installed my other drive onto it! but this isnt what i wanted but i rebooted anyway but i have no option to boot into my other drive and when i select it in bios it wont load up like last time! any help??

IF I understand you correctly:

You install a copy of Vista and a copy of XP on two different hard drives.

If this is correct when ever you boot up what ever is the FIRST boot drive is what get loaded (Vista or XP).

You need a "boot manager" to have the option of choosing what OS you want to load.

Look in the Windows section for "Dual-booting".

Hope this helps.

Back