• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 routers on 1 connection??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

Hey,
Just to give you a bit of info about the scenario and why I want to do it.. We just recently switched from DSL to cable so in order to get that to work, because there is no accesible cable jack in my room, the wireless router needed to go downstairs. Now, since before we had wireless my parents spent a lot of money to get the house wired so I plug my computer which is upstairs, into the wireless router downstairs (has its perks) Anyway, since I moved the wireless downstairs, my parents have noticed a huge decrease in their wireless network. When the wireless was in my room, it worked much better for them all over the house for some reason. Now to the question. Since I have two routers anyway, the non-wired and the wired, I was wondering if I could put the wired router downstairs, connected directly to the modem, and plug a cable from that router into the wireless router in my room to get a better wireless signal in the house. I tried this before and it did not work. Maybe I plugged something in wrong? Both routers are linksys so that should not be a problem. Any suggestions please let me know so we dont have to go get the signal booster for an extra 100 for no reason.. Thanks.

just turn off all the router functions of one router and plug them together through the LAN port on the 2nd router dont use the WAN on the 2nd one and it should act as a switch

You could have your parents pass through both routers, being "routed", but they'd have to use a different address range than you and would suffer a little more latency to the internet. If you're wanting things on your parents network to be visible to yours, then you'll want to do what xtrmeocr suggested and just make the thing a plain old access point.

What wireless router? The new 802.11G linksys routers do not have the option to turn off DHCP. This is bad for what you want to do which is hook the wired router downstairs and run the woireless router as a plain access point. you will have problems if both are dishing out DHCP. I am not sure if it would work if you turned off DHCP from the wired router and used the wireless for DHCP. One of the network pros will certainly inform the both of us. I am about to get an access point for my network which is how I found out about the linksys 802.11G's inability to turn off DHCP:( They sell the access point at the same price and it looks like that is what I am going to get:D Good Luck!!!

we have the setup you are trying for working fine in our house. we have a linksys befsr41 router connected to the cable modem, and it's connected to a linksys wrt45g accesspoint/router. We disabled DHCP on the wireless one, and connected a crossover cable to the BEFSR. works like a charm.

you can do it that way but then you have double NAT which is not very fun, also if you want to transfer files between each lan segment it will be slow becase the CPU in the routers are very weak.

Back