• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 770 Just Arrived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL, sorry man... keep on keeping on! Those results are just a bit odd to me. I'm trying to look at other reviews of the cards to check myself on what I THINK should be right, LOL!

LOL, sorry man... keep on keeping on! Those results are just a bit odd to me. I'm trying to look at other reviews of the cards to check myself on what I THINK should be right, LOL!

Dude, I'm just kidding. Your help is very valuable for me because I haven't got much xp benching and of course, I want to make sure the $100 were a good investment.

Here you have the 3Dmark vantage results, and hwinfo clocks, temps, mem usage, etc.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    79.3 KB · Views: 101
Yes, and 7970's. They will both be in the ballpark. :thup:

Still wondering why people buy GTX 680's and 770's in the first place. Might as well buy GTX 760's and 670's for far less and OC them mildly for the same performance. :bang head

When GTX 670 benchmarks came out, I sold my GTX 680 immediately (for what I paid for it) and got the same performance out of my GTX 670.

In term the 770 is truly twice that strong such as a 7970 it would be a instant buy and AMD would be totaly demolished, but in reality stuff doesnt work as easy as that and truth is a different story.

Apart from raw score, the most critical matter is minimum FPS, because thats the stuff making a game unplayable. But its of rather few use to go above 60 FPS, so i would run the test using a 60 FPS limiter for way more accurate results.

Still wondering why people buy GTX 680's and 770's in the first place. Might as well buy GTX 760's and 670's for far less and OC them mildly for the same performance. :bang head

When GTX 670 benchmarks came out, I sold my GTX 680 immediately (for what I paid for it) and got the same performance out of my GTX 670.

It may be true for 1080 but I don't agree. In my case at 1440p I can see how cards struggle. 770 can still be oced a bit more.

n term the 770 is truly twice that strong such as a 7970 it would be a instant buy and AMD would be totaly demolished, but in reality stuff doesnt work as easy as that and truth is a different story.

That can be true, as Ed said, it could be a bad version of uniengine. Anyways in number I see approximately 20% improvement vs 7970s. The difference could be smaller if my ex cards would let me oc a bit but that wasn't the case.

On the other hand, the games I play the most run a lot better and smoother. The way frames change on the screen is a lot better, smoother.

And last, I can't believe how much I was missing the nvidia control panel!!!

It may be true for 1080 but I don't agree. In my case at 1440p I can see how cards struggle. 770 can still be oced a bit more.

So getting another 50-100 mhz on the core is worth $100-150 more for a 770? LOL.

I play all my games at 1440p or beyond, sometimes even at 4K resolution for some games. OC'd GTX 670's in SLI work fine, and perform just as well as OC'd 680's or 770's. Paying another $100-150 for 5% more performance is where you've hit the point of diminishing returns. Might as well put that extra 2nd card for SLI.

Which would you rather have: SLI 760's for $500 or a single GTX 770 for $400? Seems like a clear choice to me.

The ONLY time it makes sense to buy one more expensive card over the two cheaper ones is something like my situation: SLI 670's or one single GTX 780? Well, it's close to the same cost for both, but my OC'd SLI 670's are faster than a single OC'd GTX 780. However, a single GTX 780 can also be OC'd and despite falling short, doesn't have the limitations of SLI.

Well Unigine was always in advantage on a Nvidia card so the 20% performance from 770 vs. 7970 could be correct. However, on other games/software it probably takes a GTX 780 in order to keep the 20% (in average).

So getting another 50-100 mhz on the core is worth $100-150 more for a 770? LOL.

I play all my games at 1440p or beyond, sometimes even at 4K resolution for some games. OC'd GTX 670's in SLI work fine, and perform just as well as OC'd 680's or 770's. Paying another $100-150 for 5% more performance is where you've hit the point of diminishing returns. Might as well put that extra 2nd card for SLI.

Which would you rather have: SLI 760's for $500 or a single GTX 770 for $400? Seems like a clear choice to me.

That doesn't make sense, the 770 compares to a 680. I was talking of $100 because is the difference I paid returning the 2 7970 and getting 2 770.

If you think it's the same just post some results so we can all compare. If your statement remains valid, I'll return these cards and get the ones you are recommending .

The 770 is actually about 10% ahead of a 7970/680 in average, the TDP itself is a bit higher or equal to a 7970, the effective GFLOP/W more or less 10% better than the 2 older cards. Vs. 680 a 770 is actually about 15% ahead in average but the GTX 680 is running with a slightly lower TDP (lower than 7970 and 770).

If i would retourn a 7970 in order to get a 770? In term its 50$ additional payment each card i dont think so because at current time i dont really need the 10% additional performance, its somewhat a waste of bucks. But for those who value every single FPS and can afford to pay even more, why not, there is never a general answer when so much different needs and different views.

My view is, usualy its worth it to upgrade a GPU in term i get 20+% performance gain, else i usualy wont bother and enjoy the old proven card i played with for countless hours (knowing it in and out and know how it will behave...).

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense, the 770 compares to a 680. I was talking of $100 because is the difference I paid returning the 2 7970 and getting 2 770.

If you think it's the same just post some results so we can all compare. If your statement remains valid, I'll return these cards and get the ones you are recommending .

It's pretty simple math, but I'll humor you and put up charts nonetheless. From http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review/17

55973.png
55975.png

So an OC'd GTX 760 (not even maxed out OC... these hit 1.2-1.3 Ghz on the core easily) comes close to the same performance as a stock 770. It's maybe 5-10% less.

GTX 760 = $250
GTX 770 = $400

So you're paying roughly $150 more (or 60% more) for a card that stock is only 5-10% faster than a GTX 760. Of course, you can OC the GTX 770 for another 10% performance, but it's still 60% more. So at best, you'd be paying $150 more for 15-20% more performance, OC vs OC.

But remember that you saved $150 with the GTX 760. You could buy another one for only $100 more and in SLI, they'd be 60-90% faster than a single GTX 770. And SLI 770's will still not be much faster than SLI 760's, unfortunately.

For the money, the GTX 760 is very hard to beat. It overclocks extremely well, it has a 256-bit memory bus just like the GTX 670/680/770, it has fast GDDR5 RAM that OC's well, it can be had in 2 GB or 4GB versions...

"Bigger" isn't always better. Remember, this IS Overclockers.com, not "spendmoregetless.com."

I would suggest returning the 770's ($800) and buying the GTX 760's for $500 total. Boom, just saved yourself $300. You can either save the money or get 4 GB GTX 760's for future proofing.

When GTX 670 benchmarks came out, I sold my GTX 680 immediately (for what I paid for it) and got the same performance pout of my GTX 670.
1250-1300 are about highest one can reasonably expect I think. We had 2 of 4 samples able to hit 1300+ while two others fell short of 1300. Who knows if those clocks were game stable, but they were 3 benchmark one pass stable.

Also edited an earlier post. Forgot that yup beats 680. :)

Last edited:
I was expecting 770 SLI to be roughly 'just slightly' better than 7970 CF
Seems like in this case, the difference is quite significant!!
nice results!! and congrats. :)

Yeah his 7970s weren't performing right based on that heaven run. Its no wonder he wasn't satisfied with them.
come to think of it, I think I hit 19.4k in 3d11 with 7970s. But that was with tesselation off cpu at 5ghz, and cards around 1200/1700+. Not sure what his settings were with his.

Back