• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 770 Just Arrived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
while CPU has things to do with the tests...
many sites tested the 770 to be a few percentage better than 7970 Ghz

example:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_770/26.html

of course, these are stock comparison.
ED might want to add that 7970 Ghz OC better, which is true.
but even so, the results shows 7970 Ghz just 'bout the same' as 770. Wins some, loses some. It is a very obvious attempt from Nvidia to snuff out the 7970 Ghz market using 770.

My roommate is about to switch to 770 SLI too, he's currently on 7970 Ghz CF, and just can't wait for AMD to fix microstutter.. he plans to do so this coming weekend. I will tell him to bench as well, so we can compare notes.

example:

but even so, the results shows 7970 Ghz just 'bout the same' as 770. Wins some, loses some. It is a very obvious attempt from Nvidia to snuff out the 7970 Ghz market using 770.

My roommate is about to switch to 770 SLI too, he's currently on 7970 Ghz CF, and just can't wait for AMD to fix microstutter.. he plans to do so this coming weekend. I will tell him to bench as well, so we can compare notes.

Yes, yes please have him bench as much as possible. :thup:

example:

Hey bud, just to make things clear, I wasn't trying to make an upgrade, it was mainly a "side-grade" and getting rid of the major micro-stuttering and screen tearing issues I was having with the crossfire solution. I posted several posts with my issues and trying to fix them was an ordeal. I was lucky that I could return my cards for a total of $800 and get these 2 for $900.

So this was only a one case scenario, I'd love to get a 780 SLI but that was way ahead of my budget.

No, for sure, the nvidia test was running with both cards. I didn't make any other benches with the 7970's. But please feel free to ask me any other tests for these cards. So far I tried
- COD BOPS, no biggie.
- Tomb Raider, looks fantastic.
- Ghost Recon Future Soldier, I made a post about this game, it was looking terrible bad with mid high settings, I turned everything to high now, it stays at 60 all the time, looks awesome!!
- Skyrim, I thought there was something wrong with the game, now I know there was something wrong with the cards/drivers. It looks smooth as butter.
- Hitman Absolution, BAD! I've already knew from the 3dguru tests that this game has some drivers issues with SLI, same situation here, 30FPS with the NVIDIA Geforce Experience configuration.
- Battlefield 3, it's like a counter strike for these cards, smooth and beautifull, all ultra.

Wow you got me sold Crossfire bad and SLI great.:D

Wing, not trying to sell anybody, just sharing my xp, I use this forum a lot and took a lot of advices for my build.

I tried really hard to make the CF work but it was a no go for me. Keep reading anyways, a lot of happy cf users in the forum

Was it all your games that were micro stuttering? Or maybe some don't and that is why people are not complaining with the crossfire.

Last edited:
Thanks for the informatiion I guess crossfire is ok if you have the right games. keep us posted, I have read reviews at hardocp were they say SLI has the advantage of being smoother at lower frame rates.

The only games that I play where I get noticable microstutter are crysis3 and skyrim. And in both cases I can't see it unless my average fps drops into the 30s. If I keep them at 60+ I can't see it. And since I like my games at 60 anyway, it ends up being meaningless to me. Still, it will be nice to see if amd comes through with the July 31st date on those frame pacing drivers, I woulfnt mind a free performance gain in crysis 3.

Well, you cards OCd as a beast, so that might be the reason, maybe at 1000 it wasn't enough to keep up the 1440.

Skyrim in nvidia is a totally different game!

Well, for skyrim I have to run some crazy ini tweaks or mods to not get 60fps. But it was very pronounced with my 6950 crossfire too. Skyrim was the whole reason I went from xfire 6950 to a 7950 to begin with. Then the game bundle convinced me to buy a second one :D

And if they weren't working well for me I'd have done exactly what you did and switched to the green team. If im spending that kind of money on my video cards I expect them to work.

Hmmm, a GTX 670 should not be ahead of the 7970, however its probably the non GHz 7970 and the games my scale pretty good with Nvidia cards (didnt check it out).

Not sure about Skyrim and if it truly looks worse on Radeon cards? As far as i know, the graphic quality is exactly the same, but its easyer with Nvidia to enable stuff such as "ambient occlusion" as a adaptive option (means, its not a ingame Option, its forced). Nvidia cards usualy tend to be good at using forced graphic option. But i guess there is some comparable stuff on AMD (Radeon PRO) i guess. But im not using such stuff, to less of a enhancement freak, i enjoy graphic but gameplay and smooth FPS even more.

When it comes to raw FPS at comparable settings According to that review, the 770 is barely able to "outpace" the 7970 on Skyrim, so performance wise i dont really have a clue what people talking about (running like a different game or something).

My roommate is about to switch to 770 SLI too, he's currently on 7970 Ghz CF, and just can't wait for AMD to fix microstutter.. .
Microstutter happens on all cards, but mainly on CF and SLI setups. I think Nvidia is suffering lesser than AMD from that issue but all do suffer according to my infos. Just not to spread inaccurate infos, its good to know reality.

Last edited:
Besides im not even sure if Skyrim would give lot of gain on a SLI/CF configuration, because the double GPU cards (690/7990) are having problems getting real performance gains. Theyr gain is rather minor and far away from "twice the performance".

Not really ivy. I get close to double performance in most of my games. Including flawless performance in a couple of the games OP listed as problem games which leads me to believe even more that he had an unidentified problem.

Well i see, anyway, its probably unfair to put it down on "Radeon" cards because i checked several reviews and they do run those games well, especially Skyrim. As long as FPS is above 40 i dont think micro studders are becoming a problem. So far in single GPU configurations i was never plagued with, not even when my FPS was around 30, at least it never was able to bother me but im probably not the most demanding consumer...

On PC im currently playing:
-Witcher 2
-WoW (but will stop soon)
-EvE Online
-Divinity 2 (the directors cut).
-Civ 5
-PSO2
-TW2

Skyrim probably as soon as price dropped on Steam even more (and all content included). But so far i can run all those games at absolutly fine FPS (usualy 40+, some at 60 even) using my OC 7870, so i still dont feel a true demand for a new GPU. But 40+ (at close to max setting) is usualy good enough for me, im not a 60+ freak, i can live with a few FPS lower (because i usualy play RPGs or tactics, and they arnt that FPS hungry, still nice to have 40+).

Last edited:
Not really ivy. I get close to double performance in most of my games. Including flawless performance in a couple of the games OP listed as problem games which leads me to believe even more that he had an unidentified problem.

What were the 2 games that were fine for you.

Well i see, anyway, its probably unfair to put it down on "Radeon" cards because i checked several reviews and they do run those games well, especially Skyrim.
However most reviews don't play the games they just test the FPS and that does not tell the real world story like i'm getting here. Only Hardocp does seat of the pants testing and they say the same things that he is saying with crossfire.

I'm wondering if you both have experienced good FPS and micro stuttering or hitching at all with any cards.

Last edited:
Back