• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2000 MHz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
etomac said:
and if you are talking about intel, i only support P3!!

and if you are talking about AMD.... I guess all!! (including 80286)

n i will use Intel or SUN microsystem if i m gonna to hav a SERVER!

n Mr. INTEL GUY! none of u here likes AMD?
I have nothing against AMD, I just personally prefer Intel because they run cooler, and in my opinion, more stable. planning on building an AMD system to play with later this year. But after having been around here for a few months, I have no real favorite brand. I'm just into which will run stable, and I don't have to worry about. Brands mean almost nothing anymore. What ever can can get the most bang for the buck, run stable, without going to extremes for cooling is the CPU for me.

my next chip will be an intel, why? because i overclock, and i have a p4 compliant psu heading my way, and its only 300watts, and i wont shell out 40bucks to properly cool my cpu, and i dont like watercooling, and i have used intel all my life, however if i had the money right now, i would go out and get an amd, but since ill probly wait till i get to college to upgrade(im a junior)....ill ptobly be able to afford a northwood if prices keep going down like this......i like things that will last, ive heard too many stories of people breaking their athlons with 2pound heatsinks to even go near them....just my opinion......id rather spend 160 dollars on something that will last me 10years, than 90 on something that will last me 2 years........the way i look at it, i wont be able to tell the difference.....i cant tell the difference between sony and bose, i cant tell the difference between Rage128 3D quality and geforce 3D quality(i can between geforce and rage128 2D however...crappy geforce2s:().....and a couple megaflops or 5fps wont make a difference to me..........

r_wesleyjr said:
I just read a post from a member who has a 1.7/ 478 processor on an MSI board. Are you telling us that is not a northwood?

That's exactly right. The 478 pin cpu's that are available now are still .18 micron willys. The Northwood core is based on .13 micron construction and has 512K L2 cache versus willy's 256K.

Ebola said:

eddie i think you should do some research before you post.

1. Yea a 1.4 athlon at 2ghz would constitute a rarity. you have to freeze the chip. I think the vapochill case might be able to do this. but then again it cost $700. with the same cooling a p4 would overclock very high as well.

2. p4's use rambus memory which is much faster than ddr. rambus runs at 800 mhz compared to ddr at 266mhz.

now if you want a athlon running at 2ghz fine. but you will have to buy all new parts every other month because you will certainlly kill alot of chips.

Well, even though Rambus is clocked at 800MHz, it transfers the same as DDR, which is 1600MB/s. It is also said that Rambus has higher latency, but I can't back that up and would concider that a moot point for now. The reason that DDR on the P4 sux so much is that Rambus is implemented in dual channel, so it is effectively 3200MB/s. The I845 is only a single channel solution, so if it was dual channel, it could achieve 4200MB/s with PC2100DDR.

Now, I'm not AMD biased, as the P4 at 2GHz does beat AMD's finest at a majority of the tests. The AthlonMP (Palamino) O/C'd to 1.4GHz is able to keep up, but not beat the P4 2GHz (according to [H]ard|OCP's test). So, I'll imagine a Palamino 1.53 will match a P4 2GHz and maybe win a few benchmarks. AMD really should act fast as Northwood is right around the corner. Right now, Intel can't really scale the P4 higher on 0.18 micron, but once Northwood comes out, there's no stopping them until around 3.5 - 4GHz.

Max Payneguin said:

Well, even though Rambus is clocked at 800MHz, it transfers the same as DDR, which is 1600MB/s. It is also said that Rambus has higher latency, but I can't back that up and would concider that a moot point for now. The reason that DDR on the P4 sux so much is that Rambus is implemented in dual channel, so it is effectively 3200MB/s. The I845 is only a single channel solution, so if it was dual channel, it could achieve 4200MB/s with PC2100DDR.

Now, I'm not AMD biased, as the P4 at 2GHz does beat AMD's finest at a majority of the tests. The AthlonMP (Palamino) O/C'd to 1.4GHz is able to keep up, but not beat the P4 2GHz (according to [H]ard|OCP's test). So, I'll imagine a Palamino 1.53 will match a P4 2GHz and maybe win a few benchmarks. AMD really should act fast as Northwood is right around the corner. Right now, Intel can't really scale the P4 higher on 0.18 micron, but once Northwood comes out, there's no stopping them until around 3.5 - 4GHz.

I'd like to see AMD tool up for .13 micron as quickly as possible. If Intel gets as good a yield on the Northwood as they are with Tualatins, they have a good chance to run off and leave AMD hanging. If AMD can get their .13 micron fab going quickly enough then we have a more competitive market in the coming year.

I have to say up till a few months ago i never liked AMD mostly for the high temps. But I began reading tons of reviews and benchmarks and i had to back down and face the fact they were faster. I am still an Intel fan and believe they have a master plan involved with this new P4 design. Well now the 2.0 came out i started to see benchmarks were finally being able to pass the AMD scores. To some of you above who are still stuck on one brand or another i tend to watch what TC says about the 2 companies for the reason of owning many systems of both types.

A final note from an Intel fan.
I have accepted the fact AMD has been faster for the past year or so BUT now that Intel has there 2.0 out and more to come lets see what happens now.

Back