• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scrambled Eggs said:

What is D21 or D22?

I'm not running SATA...
My vcore is 1.6
I dont have a floppy drive installed. That is what makes this error weird.

In you BIOS disable the floppy as a boot device and turn off floppy seek. Also set your boot to 'halt on no errors' in the BIOS.

Please post your results one way or the other so we can know if we're on the right track.

I haven't had my AMD rig up in six months or so, and after reading this thread the last week, I picked up whatever pre-335 chips I could find (I'm in Japan). Due to the plethora of OEM chips, I can check the dates. I found a 0330 2500+ (TB?) last week and a 0312 3200 Barton today. But that's it, everything else I've seen is 0339 or later now.

I still have 7-8 of the ole DLT3C 1700/1800+s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these overclock better than the present Barton/Thornton or whatever chips? I've tried 3 back then and all hit 2400 or so at 220-228 fsb on my 8RDA+ Rev. 1.1 and NF7-S Rev. 2.0 boards, unmodded, with XMS3500. What's the big deal with the later chips? Lower VCORE or something? Most of mine need 1.75-1.9 volts, but I'm on air. I just picked up a HydroCool. I also got two JIXHBs 1800+s which I have not tested; these are the latest at 0329s.

Things also seem to be going backwards with the boards too, with overvoltage reg on the Epoxs and I hear the later Abit boards don't do as well as the earlier ones.

Clevor said:
I haven't had my AMD rig up in six months or so, and after reading this thread the last week, I picked up whatever pre-335 chips I could find (I'm in Japan). Due to the plethora of OEM chips, I can check the dates. I found a 0330 2500+ (TB?) last week and a 0312 3200 Barton today. But that's it, everything else I've seen is 0339 or later now.

I still have 7-8 of the ole DLT3C 1700/1800+s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these overclock better than the present Barton/Thornton or whatever chips? I've tried 3 back then and all hit 2400 or so at 220-228 fsb on my 8RDA+ Rev. 1.1 and NF7-S Rev. 2.0 boards, unmodded, with XMS3500. What's the big deal with the later chips? Lower VCORE or something? Most of mine need 1.75-1.9 volts, but I'm on air. I just picked up a HydroCool. I also got two JIXHBs 1800+s which I have not tested; these are the latest at 0329s.

Things also seem to be going backwards with the boards too, with overvoltage reg on the Epoxs and I hear the later Abit boards don't do as well as the earlier ones.

The mobiles are doing 2500mhz+. Im doing 2400mhz at 1.7Vcore. overvoltage? my a7n8x does by quite a bit usually.

bulk88 said:

Alpha/DEC/Compaq any1?
ARM?
National Semiconductor (fab for Cyrix/Geode/IDT/whatever)?
Texas Instruments?
I was trying to list companies that still exist. DEC was bought out by Compaq, and I think most of the IP for the Alpha processor wound up being owned by intel. Then, HP ended up with compaq.

TexasInstruments is a good one, however. Although I think my TI-83+ has a Zilog Z-80 CPU.

Clevor said:
I still have 7-8 of the ole DLT3C 1700/1800+s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these overclock better than the present Barton/Thornton or whatever chips?

What's the big deal with the later chips? Lower VCORE or something?

You have access to newest/latest technology in Japan before we do, don´t you? What are the prices like in Japan?

Anyway:
1700+ or 1800+ DLT3C B (not A) are known to overclock further than other T-Bred B´s and at lower voltages.

However, Bartons have twice the cache of T-Breds (512 instead of 256 KB) so that's worth 100 MHz or more.

The deal with later chips is that even if they are locked they overclock further and at lower voltages.

So, even if your multiplier is locked, if you have quality PC3000 or PC3200 RAM you can overclock further than with old chips (on average).

2500+ is multiplier locked at 11.

11 x [FSB] = MHz speed.

There are cases where you can have an old Barton that is multiplier unlocked but only does 2.3 GHz

which is less than a new multiplier locked Barton that easily hits 2.4 GHz with adequate cooling (on average).

All you need is RAM (and mobo) that can hit high FSBs.

So you can have a new locked Barton that can hit
11 x [220] = 2420 MHz

Old unlocked Bartons are on average useful if you do not have RAM that can hit FSB way into 200s.

So again, on average, brand new multiplier locked Bartons overclock further than old multiplier unlocked ones, BUT you need quality PC3200 or PC3000 for new locked Bartons.

1. MHz speed = Multiplier x [FSB]

2. Average overclocks with adeqaute cooling is 2.3, maybe 2.4 GHz for all T-Bred B´s and Bartons.

3. List of Multipliers is in the right column of this table:
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

so do the math for (locked) Multipliers x [FSB]

Good luck.

You have access to newest/latest technology in Japan before we do, don´t you? What are the prices like in Japan?

Yes, but haven't been keeping up to date with AMDs lately. So had no clue: Bartons, Thorntons??? Last I knew of was TBs. But I saw a chart of specs and did see the Barton has more cache. Prices here are comparable to the U.S. but lots of OEMs so I can check the steppings before I buy :).

The old TBs I tried all did around 2420 on air, some as low as 1.75 volts, but these may not be my best ones. I have gotten a watercooling rig since but have been procrastinating getting my AMD rig up. Will do so soon.

Thanks for the update.

hi all, first post here

after buying my new setup (barton 2500+) and realizing i coulnt oc it, my friend turned me to this thread... i am on page 11 of 39, so i am consistently reading through all the replies, but i figured i would post this...

i bought a one jan 12, AQZFA 0347 VPEW and, as i said, its locked (i figured it was as soon as i saw this thread and i looked at the code on the processor).

i boosted the FSB up to 200, and it is running at ~ 2200 mhz... but the only problem is it sits at ~52-53C idle : / my friend told me to get a new heatsink, and i am ganna do that, but for the time being, i have to deal with it, and prolly turn down the FSB. i just wanted to say the inevitable, the processor i got is locked...

Fallen_62 said:
hi all, first post here

after buying my new setup (barton 2500+) and realizing i coulnt oc it, my friend turned me to this thread... i am on page 11 of 39, so i am consistently reading through all the replies, but i figured i would post this...

i bought a one jan 12, AQZFA 0347 VPEW and, as i said, its locked (i figured it was as soon as i saw this thread and i looked at the code on the processor).

i boosted the FSB up to 200, and it is running at ~ 2200 mhz... but the only problem is it sits at ~52-53C idle : / my friend told me to get a new heatsink, and i am ganna do that, but for the time being, i have to deal with it, and prolly turn down the FSB. i just wanted to say the inevitable, the processor i got is locked...

WELCOME Fallen_62!!

Yup, it's pretty well known that the post-week 40 bartons are all locked. Not a biggee for you though since you can get that FSB up there.

Definitely get a new heatsink for the 53C issue. That's way too high for idle. If you've got the budget, grab a Thermalright... either the SLK-800, SLK-900 or SLK-947 model will work. Then either an 80mm case fan for the 800 or a 90mm fan for the 900 series. That'll drop your temps like a rock. (or it should anyway, if properly applied) ... Also grab some good thermal compound, like Artic Silver 5 or Ceramique.

DmdStar said:

WELCOME Fallen_62!!

Yup, it's pretty well known that the post-week 40 bartons are all locked. Not a biggee for you though since you can get that FSB up there.

Definitely get a new heatsink for the 53C issue. That's way too high for idle. If you've got the budget, grab a Thermalright... either the SLK-800, SLK-900 or SLK-947 model will work. Then either an 80mm case fan for the 800 or a 90mm fan for the 900 series. That'll drop your temps like a rock. (or it should anyway, if properly applied) ... Also grab some good thermal compound, like Artic Silver 5 or Ceramique.

yea, u can check out the rig in my sig (or should be able to, if not i will post it)... the heatsink is retail, got it with the processor...

my case has 3 80 mm fans in it... its only the processor that runs hot... my case runs at around 33-35C... i just need to cool down the processor...

Fallen_62 said:

yea, u can check out the rig in my sig (or should be able to, if not i will post it)... the heatsink is retail, got it with the processor...

my case has 3 80 mm fans in it... its only the processor that runs hot... my case runs at around 33-35C... i just need to cool down the processor...

Definitely go with one of those Thermalright heatsinks & Arctic Silver. The retail sinks are horrible for OC'ing.

blackjackel said:
Hehe, i always wanted to do this...

Something that was never done for me (i dont think)....

WELCOME TO THE OC FORUMS! Fallen_62

hehe, thanks...

i ran my comp for about 2 hours last night, and it ran about a standard 53-54C with 1 prog running (irc), but a few running in the background... the case stays a constant 33-34C, with little variation...

my question is where should i look for those heatsinks? i would assume newegg, but maybe there is another place i can look on the net? (we dont have many computer shops around here... i can look tonight at the few we have though)

Fallen_62 said:

hehe, thanks...

i ran my comp for about 2 hours last night, and it ran about a standard 53-54C with 1 prog running (irc), but a few running in the background... the case stays a constant 33-34C, with little variation...

my question is where should i look for those heatsinks? i would assume newegg, but maybe there is another place i can look on the net? (we dont have many computer shops around here... i can look tonight at the few we have though)

Here ya go:

Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-109-011&catalog=62&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

ExcaliberPC:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=thermalright+slk

The letter codes are as follows: A = clip version, U = Mobo-mountable screw-on version necessary for P4's

don't forget your arctic silver too:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-008&depa=1

OH yeah, and either an 80mm (SLK-800) or 90mm (SLK-900) fan to throw on top is necessary as well.

DmdStar said:

Here ya go:

Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-109-011&catalog=62&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

ExcaliberPC:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=thermalright+slk

The letter codes are as follows: A = clip version, U = Mobo-mountable screw-on version necessary for P4's

don't forget your arctic silver too:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-008&depa=1

OH yeah, and either an 80mm (SLK-800) or 90mm (SLK-900) fan to throw on top is necessary as well.

the 900A says for barton 2800+ and up... will it still work on a 2500+? and the same with the 800, cept it says 2000+ pali and up... will those both work with a 2500+ or not? just wondering

Fallen_62 said:

the 900A says for barton 2800+ and up... will it still work on a 2500+? and the same with the 800, cept it says 2000+ pali and up... will those both work with a 2500+ or not? just wondering

Oh yeah... they will work great. I have an SLK800 on a 2600+. Basically when it says that, it's telling you the maximum, and anything under that is fine.

But, these are so great, I think they could withstand a 4000+ if it existed. :)

mirc u play CS..welcome to the forums i have a barton that i got in a little later december i fried my old one so i think that AMD (since old one was unlocked)gave me another,but it came in the retail pack with HS&F and i only sent in CPU.ill check the numbers when i get my water cooling later this week

DmdStar said:

Oh yeah... they will work great. I have an SLK800 on a 2600+. Basically when it says that, it's telling you the maximum, and anything under that is fine.

But, these are so great, I think they could withstand a 4000+ if it existed. :)
A 4000+ would be around 2900mhz using a 2500+ as scale of reference. Quite possible with a prometia and 2.3v.

Back