• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DmdStar said:

Hmmm... now that sounds tempting. :p

:D and i just noticed that u live in madison dmd... in live in wausau. u ganna go to the state wrestling tournament? pm me so we can continue this discussion there...

oh, and btw, thanks for all ur help guys! i will order the new heatsink soon... as for now, i had to turn the fsb back down cuz it got on the upwards of 56C last night... oops : /

I read that link thedryker, and it is very helpful for someone who's been away for AMD for a while. However the bit about the laser marks on locked CPUs is not correct for the later ones, correct? I thought there is no way of visually detecting an unlocked chip on the later Bartons and Thorntons, say after 0335 or so?

Correct, there is no way to visually detect the new so called 'super locked' chips.

Whoever says there is a way to visually tell the difference is mistaken.

r4fo said:
Barton 2800+
AQYHA 0405

is this a unlocked or locked CPU??

im allmost 100% sure its locked, but as I hear its not hard to unlock it.. just 2 pins to connect with thin wire IF I REMEMBER corectly..

The whole point of this entire thread is that you cannot unlock them.

No motherboard can unlock these CPUs and there is nothing that can be done to bridges or pins that can change the locked multiplier because they are not connected to the circuitry.

What INFERNO2 is referring to is a pin mod for multiplier unlocked CPUs because some motherboards cannot post all multipliers on those multiplier unlocked CPUs.

INFERNO2 said:

im allmost 100% sure its locked, but as I hear its not hard to unlock it.. just 2 pins to connect with thin wire IF I REMEMBER corectly..

I hope i don't get stuck with the 12.5 multi. i'll try the wire trick.

The wire trick only works with multiplier >> unlocked << CPUs if your motherboard can't post high range (13 and up) multipliers on those multiplier unlocked CPUs.

The wire trick does not work with new factory multiplier >> locked << CPUs.

Its Locked for sure.

Why is it that people cant understand: The BARTONs are LOCKED and you can't do zip about it.... gees.. Its pretty simple. Why do we always get people stating things they have no clue about..

PS. The only recent (post week 35 2003) Bartons that are unlocked are MOBILE Bartons

I hear going by stepping, only those before 0330 are certain to be unlocked.

On the Mobiles, I see Mobile XP1700+s just came out here in Japan. They are -3 cache so I guess 256? Would these be unlocked? Or are only the Bartons unlocked? They are pretty cheap, around $34 each.

Just go with a desktop 2100+ B if you're looking for an inexpensive guranteed unlocked chip instead of the mobile 1700+s. You're right, all T-Breds have 256 KB cache while all Bartons have 512KB cache.

Front Side Bus - speed of communication between the microprocessor and the chipset.

L2 Cache - memory used by processor to store frequently used instructions.

People figure Barton's double cache is worth about extra 100 MHz when comparing Bartons and T-Breds.

But to answer your question: yes, right now all mobiles are guaranteed multiplier unlocked.

c627627 said:

People figure Barton's double cache is worth about extra 100 MHz when comparing Bartons and T-Breds.

The Barton's larger 512 KB L2 is worth "about an extra 100 MHz", on the average at 2.5 GHz level (to be exact), compared to most Tbred B DLT3C w/ 256 KB L2. More exactly, it is worth about 5%, on the average, compared to most Tbred B DLT3C. The larger L2 cache gives 0 to 10%+ performance boost, the actual % varies, depending on specific programs.

What happens to programs running in CPU with smaller and bigger L2 cache (page 17)

A regular, desktop Barton mostly would do 2.3 - 2.4 GHz stable on air, and a Tbred B DLT3C would do 2.4 - 2.5 GHz stable on air. So the two have usually been considered as a tie, for average program performance.

Recently, due to the availability of the mobile Barton, which mostly can be overclocked to 2.4 - 2.7 GHz stable on air, and towards 3 GHz using high end water and exterme cooling, such CPU frequency improvement of 4%+ (2.55 GHz for Barton-M cf to 2.45 GHz for Tbred B) put mobile Barton at 4% + 5% = 9%, better than most Tbred B DLT3C and desktop Barton overclocked on average program performance.

Last edited:
Back