• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have the Desktop Barton 2500+ AQXFA 0406 XPMW
I presume this is locked?

If so what will I get out of it with an ABIT AT7 Max2 mobo while locked?

The 3 last bridges from the right side of L5 are gapped...

I'm a n00b at this needless to say

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier

Your multiplier is locked at 11 so that means you can only overclock FSB.

If you have PC2700, that means 166 x 11 and up
If you have PC3200, that means 200 x 11 and up

PC2700 average inexpensive sticks only go to high 180s, maybe low 190s FSB...

my ram is 512 BM DDR (1 stick non-ECC PC2700)

so I will end up around 2800+ mebbe? with those settings....

just wondering if it's worth bothering with

Last edited:
Yes, with an average PC2700 stick, you're looking at overclocking it from 2500+ to 2800+.

With PC3200 RAM, the same chip can be overclocked to over 3200+ speeds if you have adequate cooling and power supply brand.

To test the stability of overclocked CPU, download the latest bug fixed version of Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It's then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

After finding your stable point you may want to then retest by going to the Advanced section, setting the password to 9876 and then setting Priority to 10. (You won't be able to use your computer while Priority 10 Prime95 Torture Test is running, but it'll confirm your system stability.)

Use 3DMark to test video card stability.

Re: Super Lock

7seconds said:
Still nothing about bypassing super lock?

No and there never will be.

What's been called a Super unlock is not really an unlock: Basically, the method involves modding of the locked chips, remembering that MHz Speed = [FSB] x multiplier

FSB can be changed only before you boot into Windows but
multiplier can only be changed after you boot into Windows.

...with limited success so far.

'PowerNow' feature allows voltage and multiplier changes in order to preserve battery life.

So if you have motherboard/chipset/BIOS support for PowerNow which not all boards do, nForce2 does not, you can use this feature on locked desktop CPUs.

You also need to boot into Windows with your locked multiplier and the FSB with which you can boot into Windows but you cannot change the FSB inside Windows, only the multiplier. Ironically, you can change the FSB too inside Windows with nForce2s but they have no PowerNow feature so it's of no use with super locked chips.

It's not a real unlock at all.

All Athlon 64s, mobiles and desktops have default multipliers and below unlocked.
You can't boot with higher than default multipliers with them.

Arg!! Why would they do that?

I don't know what week my AMD XP+2600 was made, but I know I got some heavy problems overclocking it. But this Multiplier thing, I just don't get. Can I overclock the CPU only by changing the Multipliers? I've only tried to set the cpu fsb from standard 166 to 170. But at reboot the machine crashes.

Even if your 2600+ Barton is locked at 11.5 multiplier,

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier
so 170 x 11.5 = 1955 MHz
which your Barton should do easily, unless you have a cheapo power supply (which you should list in your sig, name PSU brand name is very important for overclocking.) Did you mess with your memory timings?

I'm wondering, has anybody tried the TMC upgrade adapter? I believe you can change multis on locked XP CPUs. Not sure if it works on Mobiles. Of course there is one caveat: you have to remove the CPU, take off the adapter, and move some dip switches on the back to change the multis, so it's not as convenient as doing it on-the-fly in the BIOS. You pretty much have to know what multi you plan to use that's best suited to your ram.

No motherboard can unlock factory multiplier locked CPUs and there is nothing that can be done to bridges or pins that can change the locked multiplier because they are not connected to the circuitry.

If you have a multiplier unlocked CPU and one motherboard can post certain multipliers with it and another motheboard cannot, then you can use "adapers," "spped strips" etc. so that even the specific motherboards that cannot post all multipliers can do so. But it's the motherboard that's the problem, not the CPU.

If you have a factory locked CPU, no motherboard can post different multipliers.

Actually I checked the manufacturer's site. The TMC unit is mainly for old boards like the KR7A, etc. They don't even mention the NForce boards, but maybe that's because everyone knows they can adjust multis. And yep, they mention that CPUs beyond 0333 or so cannot be unlocked with the adapter.

The TMC unit is great for the Iwill MPX dual Athlon motherboard where you adjust the multis on other than MP CPUs.

It all comes down to money folks. Regardless of what anyone else will tell you this is the truth right here. AMD came in second and offered us all a piece of heaven a little bit later than Intel did. After they caught our attention and our profits in the market they are up and gone. Being respected against Intels fairly they are now locking all multipliers and starting in on the money game. This is a bit jumbled I know but it's due to the fact that I'm trying to get some schoolwork done. Wish I had time to clearly elaborate my thoughts.

Just got a Barton 2500+ stepping AQFZA0411, don't have time to read though this whole thread, any word on that stepping/date.. nothign shows up in a search for it..

Back