• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2080 vs 1080ti for 1440p 27" and 4k 42" Monitors Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

Basically for now want to be able to game on 27" 1440p and have other things open on 42" 4k screen. I got a B-stock EVGA 2080 for $548 and then got EVGA FTW3 1080ti used for $450. Which is better to keep considering the needs, near future release of ampre with subsequent drop of prices for prior generations? I can still return EVGA. To put in perspective, I have currently 970 handling 42" 4k and 24" 1080p. I am leaning toward 1080ti. I read some comparisons and 1080ti seems to beat 2080. Is there anything outside of gaming that 2080 is much better at than 1080ti? Even in games 1080ti seems to hold an edge.
FTW 3 has 200 days left of warranty and 2080 comes with 1 year of warranty.

The card will be run on/with Asus z390-a pro, 9600k overclocked, 3600 19cl ram(maybe with lower frequency and better timings).

Last edited:
The 1080Ti outperforms the 2080 by a fair bit so if you can get one cheaper for sure the 1080ti is the better option. The only scenario where the 2080 would be better is if you want to use RayTracing. RayTracing is not optimized well for the 10xx series cards so they have a lot of trouble with it. I run a 1080Ti at 1440p 75 Hz and it can handle almost any game perfectly fine. The only game I have played that dips below 75 FPS is Control, where the FPS can drop as low as 40 with all max settings. All other games I play, it holds 75 FPS all day easy.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080/3918vs4026

Looking here they are very similar in performance:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2140?vs=2138
+1. The 1080ti surely isnt a fair bit faster.

Comparing reference/FE forms at TPU, the 1080ti is 8% slower on average at both 1440 and 4k uhd. I think SPL misread his link as it shows the 2080 is also faster by a fair amount (9%).
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition/33.html

RayTracing is not optimized well for the 10xx series cards so they have a lot of trouble with it.
Its not so much optimization for the cards as it is the 1000 series card dont have the ray tracing hardware the rtx series does to drive it. I find it a bit ridiculous to even have support for it on those cards. The performance hit is even worse without the dedicated hardware found on rtx cards.

Last edited:
What is the difference between gravity and mrender tasks ? Each card seem to succeed in own category per userbenchmark. Which one is more important?

+1. The 1080ti surely isnt a fair bit faster.

Comparing reference/FE forms at TPU, the 1080ti is 8% slower on average at both 1440 and 4k uhd. I think SPL misread his link as it shows the 2080 is also faster by a fair amount (9%).
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition/33.html

Its not so much optimization for the cards as it is the 1000 series card dont have the ray tracing hardware the rtx series does to drive it. I find it a bit ridiculous to even have support for it on those cards. The performance hit is even worse without the dedicated hardware found on rtx cards.

hmm you're right, that is weird. They say the effective speed of the 1080Ti is 10% faster, but then say the FPS is 9% higher with the 2080. Well what is effective speed then...? Seems like a misleading performance metric if effective speed of a GPU does not directly translate to increased FPS. I guess maybe that means the 1080Ti has more raw computing power but the 2080 is more efficient?

I'm not sure... but are these things you do?

I do not do those things, GPU does. hehe I just do a bit of gaming and have some Java based software running on this rig. I am just asking to better understand uses for technology.

For example, I got 750w PSU for my original build and its replacement will work for my upgrade to higher end now I do not need to shop for new PSU. Considering prices and shipping cost for sale it was a good decision. Video card and PSU is not the same, but still it is good to have information on the use for the things you own.

The two cards are almost identical, you will never be able to notice the difference if you put them side by side, even with frame counters UNLESS you're trying to run one of the 10 or so games and applications that support Ray Tracing.
If both cards have warranties, then save the 100$ and get the 1080ti.

Back