• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ mobile necessary for mild overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

i dont plan on heavily overclocking my processor, so is getting the mobile necessary, rather than getting a normal 2500+ barton?

the difference is like $18 and its pathetic i know, but i want to save as much as my parents' money as possible :D

The moble will run cooler and have a higher overclock.

Maybe go w/ the 2400+ moble may save you some money. ;)

The mobile xps are more flexible because of the "unlocked" multipliers. chances are if you buy a destop 2500 it will be locked. overclocking is basically a combination of changing the fsb and the multi to achieve the speed you want or the highest speed your cpu can reach and still be stable. Take away the multi and your options to oc decrease. and like slimmy said the mobiles run cooler. I have both the mobile and desktop and i can run my mobile with less voltage at the same speed.

Go with the mobile for sure. You will be taking a chance by getting a desktop Barton. I have a locked desktop barton 2500+ that will not overclock to 3200+ speeds at any reasonable voltage. My mobile 2600+ will do 2.5GHz on 1.725v. Get the cheaper mobile 2400+ if you want to save money.

As posted by all the users above, go with the mobile. I started out with an unlocked 1800+ T-Bred B (Back in the day), "upgraded" to a locked 2500+ barton, then kicked it up a notch and bought a 35w 2200+mobile:) it was only $77 @ newegg. i have mine 24hr prime stable at [email protected] (12*200)

Back