• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ OC'ing (im brand new, 6 mins old)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IcedOut9mmX

Registered
I got into my BIOS and then stopped cuz i realized i had no clue what i was doing, so can someone give me a quik run-thru on a good way for a first time OCer? these forms are great i just wanna soak as much in as i can...long live oc.com

thanks! ive read that and im kind of a noob, can someone help me with the 1st steps 1-2 and 3 on overclocking my computer? like i said im brand spankin new

OK heres goes :D we also need more system specs motherboard / ram etc

Step 1 download Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) and Prime95

Step 2 Make sure your temps are NOT over 55C full load

Step 3 Go into the Bios up the FSB to around 172 then save boot to windows run prime95 for an hour :)

Steven4563 said:
OK heres goes :D we also need more system specs motherboard / ram etc

Step 1 download Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) and Prime95

Step 2 Make sure your temps are NOT over 55C full load

Step 3 Go into the Bios up the FSB to around 172 then save boot to windows run prime95 for an hour :)

Before you even go there; How's your cooling? Do you have good, adaquate air flowing thru your case?

Are you using the OEM AMD heatsink and fan? Aftermarket? Whos, and what model? What are you using for a thermal interface (the goop between the HSF and CPU)?

Let's make sure you're not going to overheat anything, before we go too much further.... ;) The Golden Rule of Overclocking will always be heat.

Increasing the bus speed alone will slightly increase the CPU temperature. Raising the voltage to the chip down the road later to extract more out of the CPU raises it yet further.

OEM heatsinks are notoriously horrible for overclocking. If that's what you're using, seriously consider spending a bit more money and getting a good copper constructed HSF. Thermalright makes some very good units...fairly inexpensive too. Copper is a much better thermal conductor than aluminum.

Heat. Our worst enemy.... Ok, maybe PC Chips motherboards is our first, but.. :p Make sure your system can handle the heat before you go too much into things. ;)

B.

Oh BTW...(duh? where ARE my manners this morning....LOL.) Welcome to the Forums! :D

Back