• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500k vs 2600k whats better? AMD video card support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Does Boinc or Seti@home benefit more from hyperthreading on 2600k or is 2500k better in the long run?

Also is AMD/ATi video card better supported since the last time I checked? Dual 6970 series would be better on f@h use than dual GTX 580 but which would be better for seti?

Does Boinc or Seti@home benefit more from hyperthreading on 2600k or is 2500k better in the long run?

Also is AMD/ATi video card better supported since the last time I checked? Dual 6970 series would be better on f@h use than dual GTX 580 but which would be better for seti?

I can't answer your question but I just wanted to clarify that dual 580's would be better for folding. Nvidia has always been on top because the FAH core for CUDA are more optimized than the opencl cores for ATI. Its been this way from the begging. Although now a 2600K destroys gpus on ppd/watt ratios.

Form my experience with Rosetta@Home, you get about 30% increase in performance with HT. Each individual WU will run slower, but you can work on twice as many at the same time, so in the end, you definitely come out on top in RAC. This is unlike the days of the P4 HT's where enabling HT slowed the science down to the point where the project (FAH)recommended against enabling HT at all.

Yeah HT is worth it. I have heard of disabling HT for faster oc. This will not improve RAC over a slower oc with 8 cores. I have my 2600k at 4.5Ghz and when it was crunching 8 cores with no vid card crunching it pulled a little over 11k RAC.

For an all around DC rig, stick with nvidia GPUs. My 6970s only see 75% utilization; 50% on AP WUs. Hopefully it will improve with v7 and driver updates.

I placed an order for i7 2700k as it's just a few dollars more than 2600k and it's likely to be better overclocker anyway :D

i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5ghz to 5ghz plus a pair of GTX 580 would let me rip through seti@home standing. Paired with my AMD rig with dual 470 GTX that already got close to 100k/day rac and... :comp: aarr aarr aaaarrrrrrrr :lol:

PS I just hope Tim Allen doesn't have crazy idea of wiring 480v to my PC for extra power :D

I'm new to the seti team but my i5 2500k has been trotting along quite well once I optimized the software (as recommended in the thread). Before optimizing, my threads looked out of sync, whereas now every single thread looks steamlined/exactly the same. I'm sure HT helps but the 2500k doesn't seem to be too much of a slouch. Mine is not overclocked, but thanks to my newfound interest in seti I'm thinking about pushing it to help with the crunching. I'm currently 817 on the list and counting.

Last edited:
Back