• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256c proc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GilbertC06

So....

I was using Handbrake and converting a video to mp4. Since it was going to take about half an hour I decided to go and eat dinner. When I came back the process was finished as usual but I found something rather peculiar:

Capture-1.png

My cpu apparently reached 256c while I was gone and somehow my system did not reboot...

What happened here? Is this some sort of glitch on coretemp or did my proc really get that hot and somehow didn't burn a hole through my mobo? And why didn't my system automatically shutdown?

There is no way it got that hot. If you are stress testing, your system is probably unstable.

I'm guessing that value is an unsigned 8-bit integer. The highest value you can store in it is 256.

There is no way it got that hot. If you are stress testing, your system is probably unstable.

I'm guessing that value is an unsigned 8-bit integer. The highest value you can store in it is 256.

Stress testing as we speak. Took that screenshot while on prime 95. Also uploaded it and posted this while on youtube. Passed Prime 95.

Stability testing programs don't guarantee stability. They just prove the system is stable up to a certain point.

If you aren't doing anything that requires absolute stability (building code, rendering, etc), then you are likely fine.

Stability testing programs don't guarantee stability. They just prove the system is stable up to a certain point.

If you aren't doing anything that requires absolute stability (building code, rendering, etc), then you are likely fine.

True. But that's what is weird about it. Prime 95 should be more stressful than using handbrake.

"Should" being the keyword. ;)

Both are stressful programs, but they stress the system in different ways. Handbrake may put a (higher) load on something that Prime95 doesn't, causing instability on a "stable" system.

its probably just a probe "hickup" , so it falsely reported the temp , if it doesn't repeat, dont worry about it.
Some AMD are more prone to false reporting temps as others.. don't know which ones thou; check with the AMD section guys

Back