• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds good! make sure that the board is thawed and there isn't moisture before pulling the chips, otherwise bad things can happen

Will do Janus67. I usually wait about an hour after shutting down the ss before doing anything else. Luckily...have never had an issue with frost or moisture.

Found the 2500k and another 2600k so have 4 (3 2600k, 1 2500k) cpus left to test before deciding which 1155 is the best one for the 580's. 5.5GHz is the speed to beat atm. Starting with random 2600k #1.

It's a-a-a-li-i-i-ive!

Attachments

• 2600-2x580s.jpg
    2600-2x580s.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Well...didn't get as far as hoped today but the first 2600k is pretty fast! Have a feeling that at 5.76GHz it has a good chance of being the fastest of my 1155's. Thinking of benching everything running this cpu rather than test the others atm.

Now...could use some guidance in getting the cpu and ram all dialed in. The cpu runs pretty solid at 57x100. It passes a few p95 runs without issue and never gets above 7C (temp at the head never gets above about -44.7C...is that big a delta normal?). Wondering if the cpu's at it's wall? I can set the multi to 58x using the ockey (which I absolutely love btw) but cpuz keeps showing 5700. Can't get any of the couple futuremark apps I tried to finish at 5760 so maybe have to drop back a bit?

On the ram situation, can't get into windows (fails to post at all mostly, though) with the ram set to the 2400 strap in the bios with either the 2400 or 2666 tridentx sticks. Switched back to the 2400's for the better timings in the couple test runs. Dropping CR down from 2 to 1 doesn't really do much except add a little instability (101 and d1 errors). Can't even drop from 9-11-11-31 to 8-11-11-31.

All my key bios settings are in the screenshots below (as well as some of the test runs). Feedback, tips, hints, tricks, settings, etc to get a little more out of the cpu and a lot more out of the board and ram would be mucho mucho appreciated!

tia!!

Attachments

• 2600k-5760.jpg
    2600k-5760.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 54
  • 2700k-5758-2275.jpg
    2700k-5758-2275.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 54
  • 2600k-wp32-4.226.jpg
    2600k-wp32-4.226.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2600k-2x580-aqua-htoff-406924.jpg
    2600k-2x580-aqua-htoff-406924.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 53
  • bios1.jpg
    bios1.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 54
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 131
  • bios3.jpg
    bios3.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 54
  • bios4.jpg
    bios4.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 118
  • bios5.jpg
    bios5.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 53
  • bios6.jpg
    bios6.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 53
You may struggle to get 2400mhz ram from a 2600k, I would focus on lower speed and tighter timings as there imc is not geared up for that high speed ram

Hiya Folks

Tough benching day yesterday :/ Can't get the cpu to hold real stable at 5.7GHz anymore :( Looking like I'll have to run at 5.5 for the rest of the 2d/3d benches so will have to decide whether to move forward like this or try a different cpu. Getting no love from the setup on the ram overclocking front (can't even go from 2T to 1T or tighten any timings at all regardless of ram tried)...also think I killed 1 stick of corsair dominator gt 2133 *groan*

Also...xp keeps failing to install :( Am trying a couple different version but keep getting the same bsod error using either version (can't recall the number, unfortunately) but the error says something like Unable to initialize installation_part 3 or some such thing. The install only starts using the 1st option...text-based....option 2 (gui) loses the monitor and basically sits and does nothing (that I can tell anyway). Am trying the install at the cpu's stock settings.

In other news....did manage to pull some ok boints on Cinebench...http://hwbot.org/submission/2490490_funsoul_cinebench_r15_core_i7_2600k_979_cb and http://hwbot.org/submission/2490488_funsoul_cinebench_r11.5_core_i7_2600k_10.86_points so that's good news. Also...the quad-sli bridge should be here today or tomorrow.

So...what do ya'll think? Try another cpu (still have a couple 2600k's and a 2500k) or move forward? Any feedback on the bios settings I posted a few entries up? Any thoughts on my difficulty installing xp? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this. Moving slowly but surely.

Yeah one step at a time funsoul buddy, doing the same here with my new 4960X CPU, been overclocking it slowly. Managed to get it too 4800 Mhz using the 125Mhz Strap and multi, got some really nice Cinebench R11.5 and R15 Scores too. But overall much better than the 4930K, but i need to have more time to fine tune things here funsoul. ;) :attn:

We will both keep at it until it Surrenders and we win out overall!! ;) :thup:

AJ.

Does your XP have the AHCI/chipset drivers for that board?

Yeah one step at a time funsoul buddy, doing the same here with my new 4960X CPU, been overclocking it slowly. Managed to get it too 4800 Mhz using the 125Mhz Strap and multi, got some really nice Cinebench R11.5 and R15 Scores too. But overall much better than the 4930K, but i need to have more time to fine tune things here funsoul. ;) :attn:

We will both keep at it until it Surrenders and we win out overall!! ;) :thup:

AJ.
Thanks Ajay....yeah....I've been watching you over there! Keep going!!! hehehehe

Does your XP have the AHCI/chipset drivers for that board?
I don't think so. Am trying to install on regular sata drive (in ide mode).

XP still can't communicate without the AHCI driver to handle the SATA interface. It's the physical hardware not the bios setting

XP works fine if you have the BIOS set in IDE mode though, I've always worked that way with XP

Nice to know, I've been trying to get it installed onto and Z87 board but they don't offer any XP drivers for it. I'll have to give that a try. I gues I'm just used to the AMD side which does need them

Good morning Funsoul looking at at your bios pic's again looks like your overclocking the cpu using turbo mode if so try disabling it or leave it on auto and go into cpu power management and just change the ratio from there then it should disable turbo if not disable it and see how that works out and disable seedstep don't want your sub's getting reported for not showing cpu speed

As for xp wish I could help I sent all of Yesterday install xp some what a pain in the *** that was tried dual boot then tried to install it by it self on three different drive's kept getting bosd after bsod or i386\asms error then i pulled a old 10gb drive form the closet and xp loaded right up got no idea what was going on

Hmm, could have sworn that someone had posted (or found) XP drivers Z87 boards even if they aren't officially supported. Could be wrong though, may be worth posting on hwbot boards to see.

Mandrake has started a thread in the OS section we'll see if he gets any bites.

XP works fine if you have the BIOS set in IDE mode though, I've always worked that way with XP
Hmmm...so...any ideas? Tried with 150g and 300g raptors. Am I doing something wrong? Seems weird (ie- problem on my side) to be getting the exact same error messages for both versions I'm trying to install.

Good morning Funsoul looking at at your bios pic's again looks like your overclocking the cpu using turbo mode if so try disabling it or leave it on auto and go into cpu power management and just change the ratio from there then it should disable turbo if not disable it and see how that works out and disable seedstep don't want your sub's getting reported for not showing cpu speed

As for xp wish I could help I sent all of Yesterday install xp some what a pain in the *** that was tried dual boot then tried to install it by it self on three different drive's kept getting bosd after bsod or i386\asms error then i pulled a old 10gb drive form the closet and xp loaded right up got no idea what was going on

Thanks yet again QuickFast! Yeah...I see that, not sure when I changed that...will have to re-run yesterday's benches tonight and replace the current ones. Think I'll try to use an older/ancient hardrive. If all fails then guess I'll do 2d on vista x32 :/

Shouldn't be having any issues, are you trying to install from a DVD onto a HDD with the SATA set to IDE/Legacy instead of AHCI/RAID? That's all I can think of, I guess make sure it is on Intel and not Marvell raid controller ports as well? Could try reburning your media, could also do a search for 'I come bearing gifts at kingpin cooling' that's all I can say about that one.

Yeah...'tis weird. Trying to install from a usb drive to a hdd with sata set to ide. Not using raid but it's on the intel sata 6Gps controller. Maybe I'll try the sata 3Gps controller.

Also following Mandrake's thread.

Yeah...I know that "bearing gifts' page...some definite goodies.

I'm going to guess may be an issue installing from USB, worth a shot from disc media

Back