• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Quick side question....can I run 2 of the 580's on the main psu (1500watt) and then the other 2 on a 2nd (jumpered, 1200watt) psu? Should be fine but thought it's better to ask first.

omg....if you have 580's and use the /gtx580ocp command, be VERY careful!!!

I just killed at least 1 card...snap, fizzle and a good-sized cloud of smoke :( 1.25 volts was WAY too much.

Here's the test run from late last night when I got the 4-way up and running.

Waiting for the ss to warm up so I can take everything apart and inspect the damage.

ughhhh!!!!!

Attachments

• 4x580-2600k.jpg
    4x580-2600k.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 45
  • 4x580-2600k-3dmv-56844.jpg
    4x580-2600k-3dmv-56844.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 44
Oh wow very sorry to hear that Funsoul my good friend, i hope and pray that the Damage is very slight!! And no Mobo damage to the PCI-E Slot as well, got to watch that Voltage from now on!! And maybe you could still run with the 3 GPU's and still get some points!!

As for me this is what i did today with 1 EVGA GTX 780 TI Superclocked, just a little behind you buddy lol!!

Snap 2014-01-28 at 16.44.05.jpg

Best of Luck,

AJ.

One card's dead...the other 3 survived. Smoke's dissipated but the house reeks! Wife's gonna be thrilled hehehe

Front and back pics of the friedness:

Attachments

• cooked580-front.jpg
    cooked580-front.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 44
  • cooked580-back.jpg
    cooked580-back.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Oh wow very sorry to hear that Funsoul my good friend, i hope and pray that the Damage is very slight!! And no Mobo damage to the PCI-E Slot as well, got to watch that Voltage from now on!! And maybe you could still run with the 3 GPU's and still get some points!!

As for me this is what i did today with 1 EVGA GTX 780 TI Superclocked, just a little behind you buddy lol!!

Best of Luck,

AJ.

Thanks Ajay. Yeah...live and learn :( (just wish it was with something cheaper)

That's a nice run! System wasn't pushed too hard but amazing how far vga has come these last couple years. Sweet bointage, btw!

Ss is off and I'm pouting a bit. Will get set up for 3 tonight or tomorrow.

yep that BIOS is for Ln2 only!

Sorry to hear about the card!
Hmmm...interesting. I thought the /ocp was fine for water, too...thought I just added a bit too much voltage. Should be fine if I stick closer to 1.215 shouldn't it?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that funsoul :( that's why nvidia put that cap on there some were tougher than others but most couldn't take it. The VRM couldn't handle it. But now you know it works :shrug:

Didn't the 580 Ln2 bios have a voltage offset on them IIRC?
I didn't flash the bios on the cards...just used the /gtx580ocp gpu-z option to remove the protection.

Sorry to hear that funsoul :( that's why nvidia put that cap on there some were tougher than others but most couldn't take it. The VRM couldn't handle it. But now you know it works :shrug:
Yeah...live and learn.

Funny...when I was playing with the voltages (at safer levels), the card that smoked was showing less voltage than the others. Guess that should've been a sign.

Good news is that the mobo and all slots are still fine. Loaded up a different 2600k...only got it to 52x @ 1.68v so it's not nearly as good as the 2700k or 2600k#1. Waiting for the ss to warm up and will try a different cpu. Guess I'll be selling a few 1155's shortly hehe

Oh I'll definitely keep 1 or 2...that'll leave 3-4 to get rid of.

Update: 2600k#3 also not a keeper. Will try the last 1155 (2500k) tomorrow. Looking like I'll be benching 3d at ~5.5GHz.

Last edited:
That is great news about the Motherboard and slots, now just OC the MEM and CORE and leave that Voltage alone!! Else once there was 4 now there is 3, what next i hope not!!!

Good Luck and enjoy your benching for points.

AJ.

Thanks Ajay. Leave the voltage alone?!? Won't leave it alone...will just try to pester it less ;P Got a good deal on another 580 so should be back to the quad over the weekend.

Although it may not always seem that way...am benching cuz it's a lot of fun (mishaps are less fun but poop happens) but certainly enjoy some boints here and there, too hehe

Update: Found someone looking for a pair of 2600's so sold both sub-5.5 cpus already. Going to test the 2500k tonight. Also...house still has that fried electrical smell. I was right...the wife's definitely not so thrilled with the aroma hehe

Thanks Ajay. Leave the voltage alone?!? Won't leave it alone...will just try to pester it less ;P Got a good deal on another 580 so should be back to the quad over the weekend.

Although it may not always seem that way...am benching cuz it's a lot of fun (mishaps are less fun but poop happens) but certainly enjoy some boints here and there, too hehe

Update: Found someone looking for a pair of 2600's so sold both sub-5.5 cpus already. Going to test the 2500k tonight. Also...house still has that fried electrical smell. I was right...the wife's definitely not so thrilled with the aroma hehe

Good news on the parts funsoul, too bad about the lingering smell but it will go away. Found out the hard way you can burn hardboiled eggs, that's another one that'll linger for days on end.

You have to burn some incense to get rid of the smell, and keep chanting PEACE, PEACE, it will soon go away. But you might get some funny looks from the WIFE funsoul buddy!! :p :cool:

Hey have you got that thing fired up and working yet!! i see you been doing something yeah.

Regards,

AJ.

Back