• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2700X/CHVI LN2 adventure.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Had a bench session from hell this weekend. Tried out the 2700X on the Crosshair VI things were doing well yesterday got up to the mid 5 GHz did a few benches and the power went out for the remainder of the day. Tore it down and tried again this morning. Thought it wa all dried out but... Got everything going again and shortly after I got up to speed hit defaults in BIOS as I wanted to make a RAM change and it wouldn't boot after that. Code "8", reflashed and still the same. I'm done, I give up. It's obvious it wasn't meant to be. I also had issue right from the start with Win7 getting it to run properly. Then while benching CB11 would stall and scores were terrible. HWBot x265 started doing the same. Ran sfc/scannow it said there were corrupt files that couldn't be fixed. I did get a personal best in CB15 before it all went to hell.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3848428_

cb15 2504.JPG

Wanted to add a few pics. Decided that when the power went out yesterday I would do a photo shoot. Probably why the board got so wet.

caps.JPG
heatsink corner.JPG
lotsa smoke.JPG
wires.JPG

Last edited:
x470 board gonna be a lot more stable probably. haven't had any issues but not on ln2 either. I do have a crosshair vi here but haven't tried it with the 2700x. Big issue I was having was when I updated BIOS to 4008 from factory 0225. couldn't do anything after that update except boot into windows. I'm Also running Windows 10.

I assume you're talking about the X470
If that's the CHVI then try 6401 IIRC last one posted at ASUS, worked for me.

Last edited:
You didn't actually kill it did you?
Take a break, make sure it's ready to go and maybe the next time it will do better - From what you had going on before the power went out it seemed like the setup is capable. However if you did kill it I guess that's a mute point.

Speaking of such that's how I killed my MSI board I showed not long ago, had a brain-fart doing the setup and it cost me the board and a pair of chips.
Can't really blame the hardware, that's all on me.

Been there done that Doc, right now I know the CPU is fine tested it today. The mobo is still drying so that will be another day . Bust atm so might be a ways down the road. I think it was in the socket and learned long ago NOT to keep pushing it. I lost 2 chips and a board doing that in the past.

Um Shawn judging by the amount of humidity you didn't have a chance keeping that going without it getting wonky.

Back