• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2700x.. temps these seem high ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Im not sure if this riing 360 AIO just sucks, or if this is normal or what..

The temps on my new 2700x last night on cinebench were 68c and idle was about 38c, and the cpu was throttling itself to like 3900mhz.. That seems really stupid to me, I used MX-4 on the IHS.. I just took the MX4 off and put on AS5 and temps are much lower in the 63-64c range.. Im sure itll go up more as the system is running longer.. I heard these cpu's thermal throttle at 65c.. i mean damn..

So what are normal temps for this cpu on water/air ? Im wondering if this AIO's block cant handle the heat. Obviously the loop itself is cool, but the transfer between the IHS and to the block might suck.. Also why the priase for MX-4 this is the 2nd time ive used it and the 2nd time its been much hotter then AS5.. This paste sucks

Last edited:
What AIO cooler are you using? You don't specify.

Those temps are too high unless your core voltage is way out of normal overclocking range.

Please download and install CPU-z and attach pics of these three tabs with your next post: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". That will give us lots of info about voltages and frequencies. Crop the pictures with Windows Snipping Tool and attach them with "Go Advanced" in the lower right corner of any new post window.

Thermaltake riing 360. I have all those programs.. ill get pics ina sec..

I dunno if this coolers block is able to handle this cpu.. the radistor i have no doubt but cinebench is only like 5 or 10 seconds long.. so its more of thr burst temps.. and the block is showing me it cant handle it..

running small ffts with prime95 the cpu on auto overclocking, its only at 3900mhz, 68c and holding. I dunno just sounds **** poor for AIO, but then my 4790k would tap out at 90+c on small fft's most people couldnt even do that on a intel cpu lol

pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
That CPU voltage looks rather high. AMD says to keep it below 1.35 IIRC, and 1.44 ain't that. What do you mean by "throttling", though? The thing is boosting 200 MHz despite 100% load on all cores.

Last edited:
Well, as they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. You should not need 1.5 volts to run at under 4 ghz. and that much voltage will create high temps and throttling. Your cooler should handle that CPU easily if your voltages are under control.

Did you have the bios do an auto overclock or something? Or did you set those voltages manually?

Yeah he has it on Auto overclocking trents.

Just curious what are your ambient temps? All the water in the world ain't going to help much if your room is 33c.

Where does it say 1.5v ? The picture i posted says 1.29v and 1.25VDD. When i did that test it was on auto, manually i can get to 4300mhz but it needs 1.46v and for LLC voltages im uncertain where to go from those.. Ive never used LLC voltages. The cpu autovolts itself to 1.46v as well when im gaming for example itll boost itself to 4200mhz + or -, and voltages spike to 1.46v for a second or so

My rooms temps can vary, its a small room, with a 135g fish tank, with the door closed they obviously go up.. my room temp right now is 84f, or 28.8c. Case temps via infarred probe are 28c as well

Last edited:
That's still pretty toasty and likely humid. What are your fan speeds set @ in BIOS? I'm not familiar with that cooler but if the pump and/or fan/s are controlled via the fan headers on the board make sure those are cranked manually all the way up in your BIOS settings..

Sounds to me like it's running quite normal to me.
The new Ryzen stock voltage has a large range while boost is enabled and will spike higher than you think it should. I would also recommend using HWinfo64 instead of HWMonitor but the only emp data I saw was 68° while running P95 which is about where it should be, XFR boosts to different levels depending on temp a slightly warmer ambient will reduce it. At around 72°F I was hitting 4000 ish at stock operation.

Where does it say 1.5v ? The picture i posted says 1.29v and 1.25VDD. When i did that test it was on auto, manually i can get to 4300mhz but it needs 1.46v and for LLC voltages im uncertain where to go from those.. Ive never used LLC voltages. The cpu autovolts itself to 1.46v as well when im gaming for example itll boost itself to 4200mhz + or -, and voltages spike to 1.46v for a second or so

My rooms temps can vary, its a small room, with a 135g fish tank, with the door closed they obviously go up.. my room temp right now is 84f, or 28.8c. Case temps via infarred probe are 28c as well

I was looking at this column. And yes, those ambient temps are high.

Attachments

• 1.5.JPG
    1.5.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 3,069
Oh i didnt see that, well the cpu is doing that not me. however that was a max reading, look at the current reading. Not the high.. the high is a spike.,. the current is what the voltage was while doing prime 95 or cinebench. A spike isnt going to make temps be a constant 70c or constant 65c you should know that.

Anyway, i took the plate off the pump on my TT AIO... People said not to lap it but seriously look how CRAPPY those machined swirls are.. plus the Liquid metal ruined the copper. The swirls were so bad i could feel them with my skin.. i didnt even have to use my nails..

Look at the shiny plate after... My temps dropped 5-6c doing this, temps with everything on auto in cinebench are now 57-58c, before they were at 63-64c remember ? Thats a massive drop in temps. I knew something was wrong.. Look at the machines swirls.. I circled in red what im talking about.. Its all over the block.. It looks like a tree when you cut it down and count the trees rings to see its age.. I could even see the rings on the IHS paste like a thumb print.

EDIT: Im running prime95 now, when i ran prime95 in the pics up top temps were 70c after just 5 minutes.. Now they are 63c.. Thats a HUGEEE difference... I knew this waterblock was to blame !!

nasty 1.jpg

lapped.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I'm honestly surprised Tt had a cold plate that rough?! That's definitely a significant drop in temps.

Yea thats unacceptable !! I made a ticket through and called them, explaining what i did "dont care about their warranty i can return it at microcenter no issues" and i want a explanation as to why the plate has machined circles all over, was never polished and why there are metal slivers in the liquid.. I also asked if they woulkd be willing to rectify the issue somehow.. I mentioned i posted it all online as well and their response will be posted on the forums. Im not playing around.. im pissed off Thier GPU block for my 1080ti was so mirror shined i coulda brushed my teeth and combed my hair it was so shiny.. So why did the AIO plate look like that ? Originally i never thought anything of it, but with this new cpu and those high temps i was like hrmmm i wonder those reading machines circles are probly doing it.

Now my AIO temps seem more inline with water for the 2700x.. From what ive dug online.. They still could be a little lower personally but my room is 79f right now so im sure the other 3-5c is just ambient air temp

My Coolermaster Master Liquid Lite 240 has a similar rough heat plate face with machine mark swirls. Since I recently removed it from my system I think I will lap the plate. Didn't realize it would help that much.

I use 600 grit, 1000 grit, wet sanded 2000 grit, and i used a soft 3000 grit foamy like pad to polish it. If you do plan to lap it, i hope it works. It sure did for me. You shouldnt have to take the plate off like i did, i just took it off because i didnt feel like taking the radiator out.

Last edited:
Yeah, I buggered up the nipple on the OEM Coolermaster and it is no longer round and leaks. I was trying to make it clear a case fan. Anyway, I salvaged the pump and it looks half decent except for the contact plate. Thanks for the advice. I used to lap regularly but haven't in a couple or three years. All I need is another radiator to pair it withe someday. I already have a reservoir I can use.

Well in thermaltakes defense from what ive seen online and what trents mentioned. The cold plates and pumps are all Asetek.. All the videos ive seen of various AIOS they all have the same circular plate and same pumps.. So i think the blame here is to be put on asetek for selling these companies cold plates with these machined rings...

My other Thermaltake items like the Riing plus 16.8 fans ( have 9 of em) and my thermaltake 1080ti waterblock, the thermaltake keyboard and view 71 case i have no issues with.

Not all pump combo devices, even round, are Asetek. Im not sure who has what, asetek is popular, but there are more players in the market. I remember asetek went on a litigation spree suing those who had similar designs in fact.

Many (all?) CLCs have a machined base similar to this. Some run one way (like my corsair h110i - also asetek iirc), this is circular. It just depends on the method used to machine the base. But its been proven they work just fine out of the box in reviews... lapping is just taking things to a different level for enthusiasts chasing after every degree C. Lapping success varies wildy and is dependent on other factors (convex base concave ihs, etc) as well.

Like SSurfer mentiined in the other thread, it just shows whos putting more cost into the finish on the base. Clearly these companies are good with what they have or all would have a pre lapped and polished base (similar to most cpu only blocks for custom loops). My thoughts, if it really made 6C difference, id have to imagine a company would figure that to be worth it to be the best at a given rad size.... so it makes me wonder, really, if the difference is actually that much. If its really that much better is the cost THAT prohibitive for nearly every CLC (i cant think of one with a polished base offhand) to forgoe a mirror finish base?

Comparing results to ones found online shoumd be taken with a grain of salt. Same system, same chip, same voltage, cooler, fan speed, ambient etc, can have pretty variable temperatures due to many things...leakage, mount, paste used, etc. Perhaps a ballpark figure is ok, but chips will vary a few C at the same everything.

Also something worth noting, your temps will rise 1:1 with ambient. So if you have 70c temps at 22c ambient, at 25c ambient youll be at 73c (see martin/skinee labs testing).

Whuch exact model do you have? There is a Tt Floe Riing.... water 3.0 riing... etc. Here are some reviews showing their performance...https://www.google.com/search?q=the...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
Back