• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$298 Compaq laptop @ Wal-Mart.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonTattooz

Is this such a well-known deal that nobody took the time to post it? If so, I apologize for being Mr. Obvious, but we just bought our daughter one and it's a smokin' deal.

I figure it can't hurt to make sure other cash-strapped parents know about it just in case...

Edit...Geez, it's a Compaq, not an Acer. I don't know where that came from. Maybe a Mod could fix the title?

Edit- Here's a link that describes the laptop. The store I bought ours from (we got the last one) said they were getting more.

Specs-
According to this Wal-Mart blog, the laptop features the AMD Sempron SI-42 CPU clocking in at 2.10 GHz, Nvidia's GeForce 8200M GPU, 3 GB of RAM, a 160 GB hard drive, a SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer support, and built-in 802.11b/g WLAN support. The laptop also comes pre-installed with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) and a 60-day trial of Norton Internet Security 2009.

Sorry for any confusion and in the future I will supply more information if I should find another good deal. :)

Last edited:
At least post specs or a link if your gonna blame other people for not posting it already..............What good does that do?

At least post specs or a link if your gonna blame other people for not posting it already..............What good does that do?

the link i supplied lists all the specs......its at walmart It's not my thread if you can't find walmart.com than you may be too lazy....i already looked up what it was and listed the model, and supplied a link with details of the offer and machine specs. I was just saying if you want to post a cyber deal post links because people viewing the thread shouldn't have to!

heres the wally world link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11050018

it would appear to be in store only

heres the flyer

http://www.dealoverflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Compaq-Presario-CQ60-419WM-Laptop-ad.jpg

there that should do

Last edited:
About 6 or so netbooks over at newegg that cost 300$.

They are a bit less powerful though.

Sorry for not posting the link. I was actually apprehensive about posting because I figured I'd get jumped-on for posting a deal that everybody already knew about.

Yes, it's in-store only and yes, it's a great deal. The computer "feels" like it cost a lot more than $300.

These were out of stock the morning the add came out. If there had been a post ahead of time it would have been a good snatch up.

the link i supplied lists all the specs......its at walmart It's not my thread if you can't find walmart.com than you may be too lazy....i already looked up what it was and listed the model, and supplied a link with details of the offer and machine specs. I was just saying if you want to post a cyber deal post links because people viewing the thread shouldn't have to!

Ya thanks don't call me lazy I can find walmart's website just fine. I was talking to the OP about the link that wasn't originally posted.

rarar. Let's be nice. Just for future reference providing links or detailed info is always nice. :) We see lots of 'obvious' deal threads such as those from vendor email promotions to which many people are subscribed, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be posted.

Wow, I haven't seen a Sempr0n in a long time!

Sempron is just the flagship econo chip for AMD now. Doesn't mean it sucks, just means it's not top of the line. You'll need to check AMD's site to determine if it's a dual core and the power consumption. I only remember seeing the roadmap where the Sempron was listed for all budget procs.

FWIW, friend recently bought a $300 Compaq with a Sempron and for email/basic use it seemed fine. Not any more powerful than a comparable netbook, but he wanted the DVDRW drive and larger screen. Can't blame him, not having those items does detract from the netbook.

Sempron is just the flagship econo chip for AMD now. Doesn't mean it sucks, just means it's not top of the line. You'll need to check AMD's site to determine if it's a dual core and the power consumption. I only remember seeing the roadmap where the Sempron was listed for all budget procs.

FWIW, friend recently bought a $300 Compaq with a Sempron and for email/basic use it seemed fine. Not any more powerful than a comparable netbook, but he wanted the DVDRW drive and larger screen. Can't blame him, not having those items does detract from the netbook.

Honestly the only reason I don't even look at AMD mobile chips when someone I know wants a laptop suggestion is the names are just too confusing. There's like SI-42 or whatever, TK-58, and a whole bunch of other meaningless names.

Honestly the only reason I don't even look at AMD mobile chips when someone I know wants a laptop suggestion is the names are just too confusing. There's like SI-42 or whatever, TK-58, and a whole bunch of other meaningless names.

Yeah, as opposed to 'e8600' or '5050e' ;)

Ratbuddy, they aren't exactly meaningless... M or T for single or dual core, or Z for the newer "Ultra" dual core. The later the second letter is in the alphabet, the more "mobile" it is (less power usage). The number is the speed rating (obviously, a higher number signifies more MHz).

I knew about this almost 2 weeks ago as TomsHardware did an article. I passed it onto co-workers and 1 managed to get it.

Back