• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 7990 water cooling not enough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joel1618

Registered
Alright guys so I recently got 2x 7990s and have setup a water cooling loop and am testing them out. I am consistently hitting 90 degrees celsius when my cards are only running at 75%. I have one 240 rad in the front and one 280 rad up top. Is this not enough surface area to dissipate the heat or am i doing something wrong? Just wanted to see if anyone else had had luck water cooling 2x 7990s and see what their setup was. Thanks.

You do not have enough radiator, correct. You are trying to dissipate ~750W of heat 2x375W).

I assume you have fans on the radiator. It should help if they are running at 100%, but is NOT a solution to your problem.

Which radiators do you have and what fans on them? What does your loop consist of and what is in it besides the GPUs?

Im no WC expert, but I'd the others would need some extra information on how the loop is set up and what parts are used.
Please post as much (useful) information as possible :)

:welcome:

The GPUs alone are pushing 750W. Definitely not enough radiator.

Thanks yes this is what I figured. Here is as much info as I have.
:::::::
Everythings copper.
All fans are running at full speed.
The 240mm rad is a koolance 30fpi radiator
The 280mm is a Black Ice GT Stealth
The blocks are EKWB Acetol.
The res/pump is a Koolance RP-985

Yea I kind of figured I didn't have enough rad. Oh well not going to deal with it. Gaming is no issue I use probably 20% of the processing power of the cards but when doing a stress test they reach 100+ degrees celsius if run at 100%.

The fans on the 280 are rated at 90 cfm's and the 240 at 116cfm's. Mix of brands.

Do you know the static pressure of the fans? That's what matters more on a radiator.

The 2 fans on the 240 rad are 6.3mm-H2O. Not sure about the 140mm fans. Is this too little for a 30fpi rad?

30 FPI rads need some serious Static Pressure to work at its best. Still, I don't think that is enough rad to whisk away 700W+...

30 FPI rads need some serious Static Pressure to work at its best. Still, I don't think that is enough rad to whisk away 700W+...

Definitely isn't, it normally would take the 240 for a CPU with a decent OC and the 280 would handle a single GPU, just for rough math.

No way you're taking 750W with that.

Needs another 240 rad and some real fans.

So, what monitors are you running those GPUs on? What resolution? I'm am certainly hoping 3 monitors @ 5760x1080 or greater!

So, what monitors are you running those GPUs on? What resolution? I'm am certainly hoping 3 monitors @ 5760x1080 or greater!

Probably not if he's using 20% of the cards in games. I'm guessing 1080p, maybe 1440p.

I just have a single monitor 1080p. It's all I need right now. Maybe i'll look into a 4k tv when they become cheaper.

I just have a single monitor 1080p. It's all I need right now. Maybe i'll look into a 4k tv when they become cheaper.
:facepalm:

So you have $1600+ in GPUs when a $250 GPU (7870/760) would be PLENTY? Dear lord man, what are you thinking?!!!!! :shrug: :screwy: :grouphug:

What is the rest of your system (CPU, Mobo, Power Supply).

You mine with 5870's and things along those lines. "bang for your buck" cards I hear yield the best margins.Well, Im not a miner, but I don't think anyone would pay $1600 to mine as they are power hungry beasts which mostly negates profits from doing so (unless you are not paying for the power you are using of course). Also, doesnt mining roast those cards as I believe that is GPU intensive too!

EDIT: apparently they are decent for mining.. my apologies. :)

My thought process was I can have a super nice gaming computer and it'll pay for itself in about a year and a half. yea I don't pay for electricity. I'm not looking to make any kind of profit or anything really just for fun. I'll make about 2k a year. But in process i've learned a ton about water cooling that I didn't know before so that's a plus as well!

Back