• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 7990 water cooling not enough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Op, get a good 360 rad or a 480 rad if you have roon for it
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta Triple 120mm Radiator

ex-rad-436.jpg

Black Ice GTX Xtreme 480 Radiator

ex-rad-110.jpg

And get some good fan too, this should do just fine
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-P...r=8-1&keywords=silverstone+120mm+blue+led+fan

just get one of those rads with some good fans and get a rad box let that **** hang out the back of your case who cares! aslong as it keeps your gpu's cool and lets you mine thats all that matters....its what i would do

sin your right he did cheap out on the stuff he shouldn't have.

but on the other side of things.

he already has a working loop mostly soooo..

joel you need to add more rad to this loop asap. and i would also look into replacing all your low static pressure fans for higher static pressure fans while your at it.

Also if you have no more rad space on the inside of the case you may have to start thinking outside of the box literally unless your willing to upgrade the case to say a corsair 900D to accommodate them something you probably should have done anyways to begin with considering the money you invested in your components.

If you need cheaper fans ive had good results with the cougar fans i bought for my loop they have competitive to syth or yate results for about 25% of the cost per fan.

I'll get it figured out just wanted some info from ppl with more experience. Typically this is what happens when you do something for the first time and I was expecting this.

I'll get it figured out just wanted some info from ppl with more experience. Typically this is what happens when you do something for the first time and I was expecting this.

Yep, always best to do your homework first :)

Glad that we were able to give you some advice, but that can explain why your temps are so high. Because of the high cooling requirement (and heat created) of mining, you should probably look to get it taken care of quickly, otherwise you may likely be better off with the stock air coolers on them until you can fix up your loop.

Is your CPU not in the loop?

cpu is on stock cooler. Actually this is cooling better than stock fans. The cards sit right next to each other and feed heat from one card into another. I think it's just an overall issue with these cards just creating so much heat it's hard to achieve adequate cooling.

cpu is on stock cooler. Actually this is cooling better than stock fans. The cards sit right next to each other and feed heat from one card into another. I think it's just an overall issue with these cards just creating so much heat it's hard to achieve adequate cooling.

Good WC gear with good pump/fan/rad will cool anything you want.

My last "huge" WCed rig was a SLI 580's with an I7 920 + the motherboard with an FC bloc. I had 2 D5 pump in series ( mostly for safety ) + 2x360 rad and i never seen over ~55°c on the 580's and mid 60°c on the 920. Both CPU and GPU was overclocked and GTX580 are heat monsters.

I had gentle typhoon on a swiftech 360 rad and triebwerk fan on a TFC360 rad. All fans @ a gentle 1000rpm.... the thing was wisper quiet.

With 1x240 + 1x280 you are supposed to be able to cool these 2 7970 a little better than you do currently. You just need better fans. For much better results, add a little more rad.

No, its that you're trying to dissipate 750W through two radiators that should probably be doing 500W.

No, its that you're trying to dissipate 750W through two radiators that should probably be doing 500W.

Give me the hardware and i put 500$ on the table that i can cool 2 7970 with 1x240+1x280 with good fans without getting the thing noisy using insane Delta fans.

I'm not joking.... 1x240+1x280 is OK to cool 2 7970.

Give me the hardware and i put 500$ on the table that i can cool 2 7970 with 1x240+1x280 with good fans without getting the thing noisy using insane Delta fans.

I'm not joking.... 1x240+1x280 is OK to cool 2 7970.

Yeah, but he's cooling the equivalent of four.

Yeah, but he's cooling the equivalent of four.

Sorry ... i misss typed... i had 7990 in my head all the time but tiped 7970 ...

Over that, AFAIK, 7990 are hardware/bios locked and will never pull as much power than 4 7970 can pull. 2 7990 most likely output the heat of 3 7970.

Sorry ... i misss typed... i had 7990 in my head all the time but tiped 7970 ...

Over that, AFAIK, 7990 are hardware/bios locked and will never pull as much power than 4 7970 can pull. 2 7990 most likely output the heat of 3 7970.

Point is, the cards are 375W each. Without better fans or more rad, its not cooling down.

Boulard83 said:
SLI 580's with EK FC bloc
I7 920 + Swiftech GTZ
Rampage III formula with koolance FC bloc.
2x swiftech D5 ( series for safety )
Scythe GT's on swiftech 360 QP
Feser Triebwerk fan on Feser TFC360
All 6 fans on radiator had 25mm shroud.

I had this setup on very low fan speed and the thing was pulling well over 750-800w at the wall while gaming and over 1100w while benching and i never ever seen temps as crazy as those.

With his current Rad setup, better fans could help alot. More rads will help even more without increasing the noise with higher RPM/pressure fans.

YES, you are right, more rad is the absolute best solution but simply getting good fans could also help alot without spending money on rads and redoign the loop.

Last edited:
but simply getting good fans could also help alot without spending money on rads and redoign the loop.

I agree with this completely.

Going push/pull on both radiators with the 120mm fans he has would probably be an improvement. (assuming he only has one set of fans on each radiator)
I say this because you won't find that high of static pressure on 140mm fans, and adapters are cheap.

OP should share pics of the whole thing. We could spot some more prolem with a few pics.

I made a small bit about fans many posts ago. If you look at Martins (all we have now since Skinnee let his die), we can see the OPs rads scale VERY well with the right fans. Bundymania is another resource at Xtreme Systems forums folks forget about. He also posts on many EU German forums.

Those rads CAN control the heat.

No one will fess up to the fans needed. So, to help the OP and to get this thread moving, let me suggest some fans. They do not come with earplugs. OP, you bought it, you decide.

Look at this first. You decode it, your problem.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9652/fantable124.png

Fans that might work.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...n_-_1025_CFM_109R1212H1011.html?tl=g36c15s562

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...n_-_190_CFM_FFB1212EHE-F00.html?tl=g36c15s562

Fan like this, probably not needed in PUSH/PULL would work. Maybe so, double the fan cost and 38mm fans are THICK.

OP: You are severly underfannaged and underradded for your heatload.

You have TWO choices. Buy a 120x9 Mora rad and NINE AP Fans and run them at 1850 RPM, still pretty quiet.

Or realize your choice of rads needs MASSIVE fannage since they are 30 FPI and you need LOUD assed fans to dissipate the heat.

You made a bad choice in rads. But not really. You got the right rads, but aren't going to like the scream of the PC in the same room if you want to make them work.

OP, you decide Spend $400 more in a new rad (Mora 120x9 and fans), or $240+ on the proper fans for your rads and heatload.

Done

Last edited:
Back