• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x240mm rad vs 1x480mm rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

Given the surface area being equal, I assume performance will be similar. It seems two radiators will be slightly more restrictive, but likely not enough to cause major performance decreases. Does this just come down to mounting options etc.? I was thinking about doing 2x240 Monstas in my Enthoo Primo case (one in the front, one in the bottom) instead of one Monsta 480 in the bottom. It is a bit easier in this configuration for a drain port and tubing. Is this better or worse? Will airflow from the front be changed dramatically and thus cause any issue? What should I be concerned with or am I not addressing?

Why not do UT60 480 on top and Monsta 360mm on the buttom instead of 2x 240mm monsta.

I think a better first question is, what are you trying to cool? Only the cpu? Only the video card? Both the cpu and video card? Multiple video cards?

I did not have a MB or the case in hand before I got the radiators (timing of birthday and Christmas), so I have an XT45 480 in the top Bruce. Fitting a UT60 is really close with the Extreme6 MB in push pull.

I will be cooling, initially, just a CPU and 1x970 or 980.

You won't need that much heat surface or go push and pull. Its not warranted if you have premium fans and a low FPI rad. The XT45 480 you have will be more than enough with some nice premium fans in push or pull or both if you feel the need to spend more. ;)

Yeah, I already got the Helix 120s you mentioned. I only took a cursory look at the space and it was super close so I feel okay with the XT up there as opposed to the UT. If the UT will fit, I may go that route. Depends what I can work out with Frozen. But, really, it would be like a mm or two if my measurements are right and I think I am not comfortable with that small distance. And yeah, I think we have been over my initial budget by a ton, so what's more at this point lol =P

I did not have a MB or the case in hand before I got the radiators (timing of birthday and Christmas), so I have an XT45 480 in the top Bruce. Fitting a UT60 is really close with the Extreme6 MB in push pull.

I will be cooling, initially, just a CPU and 1x970 or 980.

Great, you alre ady got xt45/480 on top. So, you already got monsta 240, might as well drop it in the buttom and let it cool. :) but if it a monsta 360mm would be a lot nicer. I would not add radiator in the front, as it is very tight in there. Unless you are using 30mm radiator and the hook up is a nightmare. Pass on that one. Just do top/buttom that is all you need really.

I actually have a Monsta 480 for the bottom. I looked at soft tubing and it was a little neater with how I was doing it to have 2x240 in the front bottom. But, if I go rigid the single 480 will look nicer, based on how I was going to route it. That isn't to say my routing was the correct way though.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like xt480 up top and Monsta 480 in the bottom. Saves me on returns etc. Now, someone just needs to talk me outta this idea I have to go rigid. I know I can do it. But, it once took me like 9 hours to install a steering wheel...second one only took like 45 min though. So, I guess I should just bite the bullet!

Rigid is nice and more for show but a pain to do maintenance. Regular tubing is your best bet to save you headaches but that is up to you and the fact that you'll be making changes as you go. Buy enough for user error. I went through a box and a half till I felt happy with mine.

Also, with that much heat surface you should run all your rad fans on the lowest setting. Hell if you really wanted to get nuts, grab another GPU for SLI. lol

The only down side with 480mm on the bottom that you loose the hardrive storage. I used 360mm on the bottom, I got to keep my hd storage and I love it. I filled mine with 5 hard drives and 2 ssd drives, as I really need it there for my video/photos editing/and storage.

Back