• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x3080 rtx heating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theanswer03

good evening everybody:) im a 3d artist and for rendering, im currently running 2x2080 ti asus turbo blower, and a 2990wx threadripper for the cpu

now the point is that i'd like to upgrade my sistem to 2x3080 rtx, but at the moment there are no blower edition, except for the 3090 by gigabyte, but wont take that into consideration, at least at the moment

my idea was to put instead of 2 blowers, 2 opened air cards, like the gigabyte eagle oc or similar; so knowing that each card will occupy 2.7 slot, will be possible to have 2 cards close to each other, and not have too much heat inside the case? which is a 750d by corsair.

thank you

thanks man. at the top i have kraken x72 . on the side of the gpus, 2x140mm fans, and bottom 1x140mm fan

It will work, but you'll be warming up the internals quite a bit. You're just going to have to test it and see... make sure that your rear exhaust is putting out some good airflow.. clean intakes too. :)

You never mentioned which motherboard or how much space you can put between the two cards. Back in the day, I ran 2x GTX 580 Strix cards. They had oversized coolers to help with the heat they produce and were uncomfortably close to each other. I did have some heat issues with the top card which I resolved by cutting a hole directly across from the top card in the side panel of the case and put an exhaust fan right there.

thanks guys for replying. motherboard is a gigabyte designare ex...i have 5 pcie slots. actually i have quite a bit of space between the 2 cards and each card occupy 2 slots. something interesting i've found out, maybe could be interesting for you also guys, is that evga is the only one manufacture to produce for the xc3 series, for both 3080 and 3090 , 2.2 slots wide cards with 3 fans. heres the link so probably i could go with them

https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=6b4f216a-4047-4b9f-8b76-ddf7baa1877e
https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=1a8b49bf-b10b-4ee9-bb61-68d806db5a65

thanks guys

just curious will 2 3080 work for your work load since the nvlink connector is only on the 3090? Not sure how rendering works with stuff like that.

so as long as a single card has enough vram you don't see a performance hit?

In rendering and distributed computing, the cards work independently. For gaming, the cards share the VRAM of one card to keep the processing in sync for the video output.

In rendering and distributed computing, the cards work independently. For gaming, the cards share the VRAM of one card to keep the processing in sync for the video output.

In deep-learning, models don't always fit into 8GB VRAM, so nvLink allows you to pool the memory of 2+ cards to give 16, 22, 48GB RAM. I like the idea of 22GB of two 2080Ti pooled of the Asus Strix or eVGA FTW...

There are no blower cards but the FE models do exhaust most of the air outside the case. It's a neat cooler, though rather heavy. I'd be more worried about hanging six pounds of metal off your PCIe slots than overheating with the FE cards :)

Half, yeah. Not sure how much does what, but one fan exhausts out, the other (at the end of the heatpipes and in the fin array) inside the chassis. g9A8EHQLvQHUDndG6v4ScX-970-80.jpg nkyv2xbkkbl51.jpg

Half, yeah. Not sure how much does what, but one fan exhausts out, the other (at the end of the heatpipes and in the fin array) inside the chassis.

Of course if you run an 'upside down' case like me, their airflow colors are backwards :p

Card still runs very cool though, so it's fine.

oVYyEQh.jpg

Back