• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0 on Q6600 stock intel cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the ambient temperature is cool, if the thermal interface paste is premium, if you monitor CPU temperatures carefully...it probably would work. Would I do it? NO

If you want to overclock but don't necessarily want to reach for the stars (3.0, nice, easy OC), then consider a very inexpensive aftermarket cooler like the Arctic Freezer Pro 7. Not the best, but certainly capable of relative cool 3.0GHz.

I tried overclocking with the stock sink on one of my quads - just for ships and grins. WOW, that processor got HOT very FAST!

yeah...

Prime95 stressing 4 cores with small ffts gets about 50ish uguru and 68ish coretemp...

I'll probably go get a suitable cooler soon...

however, its relatively manageable @ stock

-Ivan-

I say take baby steps, and monitor the temps you get when you test it.
Use Coretemp to monitor your temps. Prime95 running small FFT's should show you close to the max temps, although for max temp, try coredamage, but watch your temps, and make sure that TM1 & TM2 are enabled before you do any overclocking.

Coretemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
P95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Try to keep the maximum temp below 70c.

Before I put my TRUE on my Q6600, I was playing around with OC'ing with the retail cooler. With AS5 applied I got it to 2.8 before the temps started creeping up to ~68-69°. I'm sure I could have played around with the volts a little bit and pulled the temps down a little more, but @3 I think you would really be cooking.

Then again I have a 680i mobo, which is not that great with quads. There are a ton of people using a lot less voltage on their chips with different mobo's. Perhaps you will have better luck.

I'd say with AS5 2.8 is a good shooting goal with good ambient temps. 3.0 might be a reach. I say this because keep in mind, mine with AS5 ran under load @ stock clocks around 60°. Granted this wasn't with AS5 curing all that much at all.

Either way I'd definitely recommend not using the retail cooler for any sort of length of time with a overclock. They are garbage on the Q6600.

its relatively manageable @ stock
Key word is "relatively." The posters above generally echo what was my experience for the very brief period I played with the stock cooler. If the ambient temperature (your room) stays 20C or lower consistently, then sure, have some fun gradually run the CPU clock up. If your room is like my main computer room (home office) and the temps fluctuate like crazy (no A/C, baseboard heating, third floor), you can still experiment, but don't leave the computer at OC settings if you aren't in the room.

I say just spend the 30 bucks and get a decent cooler, youll do much better, and your processor will last longer as well.

Thanks Guys

I guess I should go slow on the OC for stock, tomorrow... microcenter. :)

Back