• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 fans at 1 port (M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

des2k

hello,

I have an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 in a NZXT case with 6 fans.
3 of these (1x as CPU fan and 1x Front + 1x Rear).
This one in the side panel.
And 2 of these at the Top.

Is it possible to connect 3 fans (CPU, Front, Rear) to the CPU Fan port? And the other 3 fans to the CHASIS Fan port?

Or would it be better/possible to connect 2 fans (CPU, Side) to the CPU Fan port; 2 fans (Front, Rear) to the CHASIS Fan port; and 2 fans (the 2 Top fans) to the POWER Fan port?

As I understand the POWER Fan port can't be controlled by the fanXpert Software?

Thanks
des2k

You need to find out what the connector on your motherboard is capable of supporting. For example, the number of fans isn't relevant to the limit so much as the total amperage/wattage is. To explain further, if it had a 24 watt limit, you could run one (1) 24 watt fan or twenty four (24) 1 watt fans. Once you find out how many watts that connector supports, you need to add up all your fans to find their total amperage/wattage.

The connector you linked would work fine and completely bypass worrying about the capacity of the header, but I can't imagine that would be cheap. If you don't need PWM control, it greatly simplifies the design (and cost!) of the cable since you can run it directly off the power supply itself.

In example, I've designed and made a cable that takes a single 3 pin fan connector and turns it into 6 fan connectors. Of course, this is for units that are made for that kind of wattage and the cable could easily be designed to run off the power supply.

6 pin fan split - 1
6 pin fan split - 2
6 pin fan split - 3
6 pin fan split - 4
6 pin fan split - 5

That cable cost $14.28 in materials and took me 3 hours to assemble. The most expensive part was the sleeving ($4.83).

If you are willing to sit down, design and make your own cable, you are going to save a ton of money.

I apreciate the advise and examples but I'd rather be willing to pay for the connector than make my own.

Thanks for the explanation :)

So I'm going to hook up 3 fans (CPU, Front, Rear) to this Akasa Splitter.
The MB's second fan port doesn't support PWM Signals; Can I hook up the other 3 case fans (about 9 Watt/0.7 Amp summed up) to the second port?
I'm asking because the MB manual sais the CPU_FAN port supports up to 2A/24W but not sure if the same applies to the CHASIS_FAN port.

I suppose adding 3x Y-cables to the mentioned splitter (to hook up all 6 fans to the CPU_FAN port) would be too much?
Or 5 fans to the CPU_FAN port and 1 fan to the CHASIS_FAN port? Or 4 fans to the CPU_FAN port and 2 fans to the CHASIS_FAN port?

What do you think would be the best/possible Option?

Attachments

• ASUS Fan Connectors Description.jpg
    ASUS Fan Connectors Description.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,739
I would suggest running them off the power supply if you don't need speed control and I would suggest a (good, such as the Sunbeam Rheobus) fan controller instead. I've never been one to run fans off the motherboard.

That Akasa splitter looks like it takes power from the PSU instead of the board so it would be OK. Depending on how much the Akasa costs, compared to a good fan controller (like the Sunbeam below), you might be better off with the fan controller - but I don't know what prices you're looking at where you are.

I would suggest running them off the power supply if you don't need speed control and I would suggest a (good, such as the Sunbeam Rheobus) fan controller instead. I've never been one to run fans off the motherboard.
I couldn't agree more!

Back