• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a pc with a radeon 6850 and currently have 2 monitors hooked up via DVI. I recieved a 3rd hd tv and would like to hook it up via HDMI but everytime i try to enable it a message pops up saying "unable to save display settings" .

If i disconnect one monitor i can hook it up fine, ive even tried taking one of the dvi monitors off and hooking it up via a displayport > dvi adapter, still the same message pops up. Am i overlooking something?

Wow, this thread got hi-jacked fast.

Its sounds like you could be missing an Active adaptor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998050

When running any graphics card (as far as i know) they support a max of 2 during boot fase anyway.

For the 3 monitors to work at once, you need an active adaptor, and also you need to be sure your GPU supports the 3 or more monitors.

You can get different versions of the Radeon cards, they may have the same GPU chip eg. 6990 but som support 5, some support 6 monitors. But i think its the simple case of the active adaptor. :thup:

Last edited:
I also have the same GPU AMD Radeon HD 6850. It has 2 DVI port, 1 HDMI and 1 Display. Everyone in the forums are saying that you need to use 2 DVI and 1 connecting to the DP. So I went and bought a DP to HDMI male to male cable. I still get the same error "Unable to save display settings". Everyone also said to go into CCC and set it up in there. All that did was disable 1 of my monitors and turn 2 of my monitors into a group, distorting their resolutions and make it all a big mess. Is there any real solution to this problem? I just bought the DP to HDMI cable on Amazon and am pretty disappointed that I wasted my money.

There is a way to get it yo work, when I first set it up I remember having similar issues. You just have to play around with the settings and unplug and replug-in the monitors. It might take a while but eventually it should work. The first thing I would do is diable 2 of them then go into CCC and start there, the Windows settings can't do eyefinity and there is not much point in doing anything in those settings.

another important question I forgot to ask, do all of your monitors run natively/support the same resolution? If not you will run into a problem with this.

I also have the same GPU AMD Radeon HD 6850. It has 2 DVI port, 1 HDMI and 1 Display. Everyone in the forums are saying that you need to use 2 DVI and 1 connecting to the DP. So I went and bought a DP to HDMI male to male cable. I still get the same error "Unable to save display settings". Everyone also said to go into CCC and set it up in there. All that did was disable 1 of my monitors and turn 2 of my monitors into a group, distorting their resolutions and make it all a big mess. Is there any real solution to this problem? I just bought the DP to HDMI cable on Amazon and am pretty disappointed that I wasted my money.

You need an active adapter, not a passive cable.

Hai! New to overclockers forum=)
Sitting here with the exact same card trying to plug in 3 monitors. As ive understood from this thread I cant use 2x DVI at the same time as the HDMI.
However I can use the HDMI with the DVI right next to it for 2 screens. Or is this possible even though they are supposed to share output?
If i plug the DVI into the lower on though. The one that fcomstoc called "4" The screen dies when on at the same time as the HDMI.
Is my Card simply broken or is it actually the number "4" thats linked to the HDMI?
And yes im actually wondering im not trying to be a smartass=p

Last edited:
Hai! New to overclockers forum=)
Sitting here with the exact same card trying to plug in 3 monitors. As ive understood from this thread I cant use 2x DVI at the same time as the HDMI.
However I can use the HDMI with the DVI right next to it for 2 screens. Or is this possible even though they are supposed to share output?
If i plug the DVI into the lower on though. The one that fcomstoc called "4" The screen dies when on at the same time as the HDMI.
Is my Card simply broken or is it actually the number "4" thats linked to the HDMI?
And yes im actually wondering im not trying to be a smartass=p
'

That was very confusing. Honestly sounds like you missed the whole point?

Back to basics. The card can handle 3 screens without a problem.

To be able to use 3 monitors at once you must have at least one MiniDP in use, and plugged into this MiniDP you must have an Active MiniDP to DVI adapter. The Active part is very important here, as this is what makes you able to run 3 screens. If its just a passive MiniDP to DVI adapter then it will not work with 3 screens.

Once you have an Active MiniDP to DVI adapter and one of your 3 screens plugged into this, then you can use your 2 other screens plugged in to which ever port you wish; HDMI and DVI, or MiniDP (with a passive or another active adapter) and HDMI, MiniDP and DVI or DVI and DVI.

I hope this has it made it very clear?

You MUST have at least 1 Active MiniDP to DVI adapter for 3 monitors to run at once. -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998050 <-

*MiniDP = Mini DisplayPort

Your card is not broken. Don't forget that standard HDMI and DVI next to it use the same signal. Read this slowly and carefully:

You can only use:

1. Either standard HDMI or DVI next to it but not both at the same time.
2. The other DVI below it.
3. Must use active Mini DisplayPort in any 3 monitor configuration, you cannot use a passive Mini DisplayPort. Manufacturers will not tell you if it is a passive or an active Mini DisplayPort to get you to buy a passive Mini DisplayPort and find out the hard way that you cannot use it for a 3 monitor configuration.

Don't forget that Mini DisplayPort will always be monitor #1 - main monitor, so you can get lost if you use Mini DisplayPort as secondary or third monitor. Connect Mini DisplayPort as your main monitor to avoid initial problems.

Here.

Your four signals CIRCLED, use green first:

Attachments

• 6 - Four Signals.jpg
    6 - Four Signals.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Back