• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 pin fan, 4 pin mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kakspower

Hai

I just recently built my first PC

Not overclocking anything, so i dont need any extreme cooling whatsoever.

The case i bought, has 2 fans with it, but there is a problem, the fans have 3 pin connectors, mobo is 4 pins only.

Case i have is this one

Corsair Carbide 300R

https://www.galador.ee/t/60603089

And MOBO is MSI Z87-G43

http://arvutitark.ee/est/TOOTEKATAL...id/MSI-Z87-G43-Intel-Z87-Socket-1150-ATX-9655

My question would be that if i connect the fan 3 pin connector to mobo 4 pin connector, would it work ? Wouldnt it damage anything ?

Nah, it's fine. That missing wire is just PWM control to control how fast the fan spins. Only the first two wires are +/- for power, third yellow wire is for reporting the RPM of the fan.

Closed my pc, unplugged wires and stuff, opend case, took me like 10 mins to read the mobo book (I barely know anything about PCs), connected connectors. Tested, it works !

Thanks alot ! :)

Found 3 sysfan's on my mobo, 4 pin ones,

First pin: Ground
Second pin: Speed Control
Third pin: Sense
Fourth pin: NC (That one couldnt plug cuz ya know, 3 pin fan :D) But waht does NC mean

There was 5 fan connectors overall, 2 cpufans and 3 sysfan, i connected them in sysfans

Cpufan is kind of diffrent

First pin: Ground
Second pin: +12V
Third pin: Sense
Fourth pin: Speed control

Did i connect them right cuz you sayd that the missing one should be the control, and there was only 1 way to connect it. Like cant turn it 180 degrees and put it other way or start from other side.

NC mean no connection.

CPU fan is usually a 4 pin connector, it can control the CPU fan using the PWM software. Your mobo came with software that can control the speed of the fan of the fan on the CPU cooler.

Look at page 29 of your manual. Install the software if you haven't and figure it out.

Back