• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3-pin fan hub?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KetoSoi

I'm looking to make a fan hub, as follows...

* 12v from Molex to 4 (or more) 3-pin fans with some sort of voltage controller.

* Use a 3-pin fan header to control the 'voltage controller' for the above.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

I have a single 3-pin fan header on a particular mobo that will regulate via SpeedFan. The problem is that the header is only rated for 1A, probably not good for 4-6 120mm fans. Its still a good built-in control mechanism, just need to use a better power source.

Thanks for any help or info....

have you looked into a cd bay fan controller? or looked into pwm fans? what kind of fans are you looking to power with this device? if we can figure the wattage im sure we could figure something out if your handy with a soldering iron.

Thanks :) I'm trying to avoid using another bay in the case.

I have 4 Enermax TB Silence LED case fans, and may add another. They need more juice than a single fan header can supply, so molex right off the PS is the way to go.

The issue for me is the voltage control mechanism. The 3-pin header has rpm sense, and a variable voltage regulator. My idea was to use that as the control signal to a voltage regulator receiving power off the molex.

I can do all the electronics work no problem, just not sure what parts to use for voltage regulation.

At the minimum, I need some sort of regulator to handle 0-12v at several amps, that will accept a control 0-12v signal.

Hope that makes sense.

Hmm, yea, Maybe one of the pro electronic guys have a thing for you, you can breadboard it.

I'm surprised there isn't one at one of the stores. In the WC forum there is a huge list of stores for PCs in the stickies. I'll try one or two myself.

You just want the variable 3 pin 12 VDC to be sent to a board that can handle more current and adjust all the fans connected as the master signal changes right?

EDIT:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=20837 ??? Pricey.

Last edited:
Hmm, yea, Maybe one of the pro electronic guys have a thing for you, you can breadboard it.

You just want the variable 3 pin 12 VDC to be sent to a board that can handle more current and adjust all the fans connected as the master signal changes right?

Yup, exactly.

Wow, that unit is $100, lol. Thats just silliness...

Not when you account for the software and USB control and all sorts of goodies. Pretty much not needed though for normal folks.

Still, all I can find really. Hopefully someone will chime in.

No worries, thanks :)

I think I have what I'm looking for though. I believe I can use a TIP41 to handle the functionality, add a Pot' for some tuning of the input signal. I'll draw something up tonight and maybe put something together in a few days.

Sorry I'm late to the thread. I saw this during class last night, but didn't have time to post a response. I won't be able to help on the electronics side, but I know that you could build a single 3-pin fan connector to six fans. I custom built this cable for someone on the forums. He didn't want a 3 pin fan connector on the end, but I could have very easily done that instead.

6 pin fan split - 1
6 pin fan split - 2
6 pin fan split - 3
6 pin fan split - 4
6 pin fan split - 5

With "non-standard" connectors, I could do a heck of a lot more.

He has a limit of 1amp or so from the mobo and wants to distrubute the voltage control to more fans. Meaning an alalog voltage control, using the voltage from the mobo at the limited amps to control a chip and a mosfet or so. Just like a fan controller but no bay slot and fullt automated.

Meaning a connection from the mobo, a Molex from the PSU, and the outputs. The electronics to make it happen is magic to me, I toss a wand and buy stuff for this level of magic..

Sounds like he's got a plan, smart dude. Like to see some of the electronics guys step in for fun and ideas.

He has a limit of 1amp or so from the mobo and wants to distrubute the voltage control to more fans.
No offense, but I did read the thread. I was simply saying that you can run a lot of fans off a single connector. So, if he wanted to design the controller with a single output to run a ton of fans, he can.

Okay, jus'making sure, I know your on the ball. Hoping you had a fix. Possibly too many amps for the connector, maybe we need to explore his fans he plans to use and he can supply specs?

Back