• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 way sli getting hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timesavage

Hey group. I just went from 2 way sli idle temps @ 35c to 3 way sli idle temp 65c. Whats up. I have a MPC350 pump, is this not enough? Did a third card really change it that much? I have another pump that I am going to install tomorrow, will this help? I have 1 x 240 and 2 x 120 rads, all EK blocks with 3/8 x 1/2 tubing.
Thanks

So you essentially have 2 240mm rads cooling 3 670s???! Sounds like not enough rad to me, though the temperatures of ALL three cards jumping up that much doesn't seem right.

What are you load (the important) temperatures?

Needs a LOT more radiator. I would say you should have at least 6x120mm worth.

It's probably a combination of less flow due to the 3rd card and not enough raddage.

Give us more specifics. Give us setup of your whole liquid cooling system. Is the CPU included? What FPI are your radiators and RPM on your fans? What is your delta-T and ambient temps? What are your temps at idle and load after 30 mins on CPU and each individual GPU in order? Water temp? (Optional)

Thanks for all the feedback, ordering another 240 rad right now. This was my first run in with air bubbles, I believe. I moved the computer from garage testing into the office for testing, when I turned the machine back on, mm the res level went from full to an inch lower. Temps are back to 35 idle and 61 under load. Think im good, thanks guys

Precision X is giving me the numbers. I have 7 corsair HX high static fans, 150 res, EK blocks on cards abd cpu. My loop goes res, pump, 120, cpu, 3x120, gpu, and back. Valley bench just took it to 68 under load, and back dow to 35-38

My general rule is one and a half 120mm rads per water block.

So for a CPU I would do a 120.2
For a CPU and GPU I would do a 120.3
CPU and 2 GPUs I would do 120.5
CPU and 3GPUs I would do 120.6

Now, this is very general, but works pretty well for most setups.

Power dissipation in a radiator is complex and determined through air flow, water flow, fin count, radiator size, radiator design efficiency, and more.

7 corsair high static, and 480 worth of black ice rad seems to be doing ok? What are the long term effects if I don't add another 240? Are we talking a quicker degregation of the CPU, gpu sir both? I enjoy overclocking and benchmarks very much. Thankful for the help

Yate loon is a budget fan brand. You can find them online for 3-5$ each. And more radiator does one of two things, lowers temps, or allows lower fan speed for less noise. And you have to be severely under radded to get a major temp drop from adding a radiator. I expect you would see about a 5° drop in temps adding an additional 120.2, which means almost nothing to your video cards and won't mean much to your cpu unless it bumps up against it's tjmax now.

Are your cards down clocking, or are they running full speed? It sounds like clocks and volts aren't dropping.

CPU is in the loop. So yes, 6x120.

You're looking at ~85W for the CPU and 170W for each GPU.

As you were, missed the CPU. You still might be overradding a bit, depending on goals though.

Is there a wattage to radiator equation that should be followed?

Not an equation so much as a curve that is unique to each rad.

triples-v2_heatdiss-10dT.jpg

triples-v3_heatdiss-10dT.jpg

triples-v3_OC920-275sli_deltaT.jpg

Back