• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$300 to spend on cpu and mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Klass1k

Registered
The catch is...... I need a board that supports DDR2. I think the am2+/am3 motherboards do. So far on newegg I found the Asus m4a77d motherboard. But I'm not really liking it. I know I can find something better.

Can anyone help me here? I have been searching occasionally for the last 3 days. I already have a cpu in mind. The AMD phenom ii X'4s are my choice.

Thanks.:-/

The catch is...... I need a board that supports DDR2. I think the am2+/am3 motherboards do. So far on newegg I found the Asus m4a77d motherboard. But I'm not really liking it. I know I can find something better.

Can anyone help me here? I have been searching occasionally for the last 3 days. I already have a cpu in mind. The AMD phenom ii X'4s are my choice.

Thanks.:-/
Hmmm, I see the problem. Even though any AM2+ board is still very viable for an AM3 CPU the motherboard manufacturers aren't cooperating very well - probably closing off production of these for the newer 890 chipsets.

The Foxconn A79A-S is a very good overclocking board at a price of $90 (with MIR). I recently got one of these from one of our Benching team members who is moving on to AM3. He got excellent results with it and I'm looking forward to the same. :)

MSI has a 790X chipset board on Newegg for $90. Don't have any specific knowledge of it's OC'ing ability but the 790X chipset has proved worthy and MSI has produced fairly good boards in the mid-range.

My last choice would be this Biostar 790GX board. I don't like the fact that it's short on cooling for the power system but other than that it's seen some good OC results with a couple of members.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138158

Back