• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

300W PSU enough for this hardware constellation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lassepmr

The system's hardware:
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz (overclocked to 3 GHz)
GPU: NVidia Quadro NVS 310 (maybe also overclocked, not sure yet)
RAM: 4GB DDR2-800
HDD: 160GB Seagate Barracuda
CPU cooler: AVC 775 cooler
PSU: Fujitsu Siemens 300W (pretty old)

As it was first not planned to overclock the system, I thought that a 300W PSU should be enough. But will it also work for the CPU & GPU overclocked?

The problem would be finding a good quality PSU rated at 300 watts. It seems manufacturers start the "good stuff" at 400 watts or higher. My choice would be a 400-450 watt, good quality PSU. (Seasonic, Evga, etc..)

The problem's the following: I built this PC for 5€ (~5.8$). That's why I only got a really old low quality PSU with a power of 300W. Is it technically possible to use this PSU for the system described above? Or should I rather use a (also old and low quality) 480W PSU which would destroy the 5€ challenge as it was too expensive?

It should be fine, but, it depends on how much power is allocated where. Can you post a screenshot of the label on the side of the PSU (should show ratings of the voltage rails, etc).

But yeah, garbage PSU and an overclock worries me. Not so much because the PSU isn't 'rated' for it, its that what is on the label may not be right (or peak values).

Video card is ~20W stock, so maybe 30W overclocked. The CPU at 3 GHz is nothing...but again, see above. :)

It shows 22a on the 12v rail so that is 284w. If it can actually output that value amd has the connectors you need. It should be ok.

Edi: ul number shows it as a delta, so should be fine.

So the 300W will be enough for the setup? 100% sure? How much Watts will the overclocked CPU take? And if there's a problem and the PSU doesn't provide enough power, will that cause damage to the hardware?

I said 'it will be fine/should be ok' above. I even broke down the math regarding power use in my post before. ;)

The GPU is around ~20W stock. Overclocked it may hit 30W (can a quadro overclock? Its not a gaming card note). The CPU stock is 105W and may use 120W overclocked to 3GHz. Simple math shows around 150W while overclocked. Add around 20-40W for everything else, and you can see we are well under its 284W rating.

Back