• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32 inch, new resolutions for me, day to day usage. What can you recommended ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DHP

Hello guy’s

Haven’t been here for a while but it’s always the place to come back for the best tips ^^, so..

I am looking for a new monitor, and I have been learning a few things for the past week. Presently I am using a huge 37inch tv as my daily monitor, add to that a 24inch secondary screen. I wish to change that tv for a better computer monitor. I have grown fond of the screen size and so I don’t see myself going under 32inch.

I have been looking in 32 inch monitor and I see that the market is either extremely expensive(>1k$) or not suited for gaming(~500/600$). Pesonnaly I buy in europe and would be looking at 500/700€, so about the same in $.

Here is my usage:
  • Gaming: World of tanks/KSP/Adventure. No FPS or MMO, and no actual crazy esport stuff or whatever beside some group gaming on World of tanks.
  • Web browsing obviously and other stuff, no work.
  • Movie, and by movie I mean that I usually don’t use the computer but rather a media platform such as WD media center that are easier to use with a remote and more silent.
  • I also have a Chromecast that I use very frequently
  • I usually need to use built-in speaker for 80-90% of my usage, the rest being with my headset.

Here are my questions/issue:
  • Computer monitor seem to be lacking HDMI port most of the time (media center, chromecast, occasional console game), so I think I will be using some king of HDMI splitter and will only need one HDMI port, but I do need ONE atleast.
  • I’ve read a bit about refresh rate and although 144Hz seem’s nice on paper usage seem’s to be limited if your FPS don’t reach that amount to start with, which I don’t (70/90 depending). I think I will settle for 60/75Hz which seem’s to be common at this screen size as 144 for 32inch is not (from what I saw).
  • Computer to screen connecting, I’ve read somewhere that HDMI is for 1080P max. and elsewhere that it could. If I don’t use HDMI what should I use, I would just like to remind that I would prefer to use built-in speaker, so ??
  • Also What kind of issue can I encounter using a 2560x1440 with device limited to 1080p such as movie from media center for example ? Can I expect the device to do automatic scale down to use the full estate since it is still a 16/9 ?

What monitor would you recommended for this size ? I have myself read a fair bit about ASUS PB328Q 2560x1440 32-in VA-panel Monitor, this monitor seem to be the best compromise for big screen and gaming use, although it’s a VA Panel the reponse time seem to be decent enough.

Also if I can have feedback from people using they're 1440p for day to day usage including from 1080p source media.

Thank you for reading this far and even more for th response.

Back