• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32GB of RAM on ASRock Extreme6 Z77?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilPeppard

So I decided to upgrade from 16GB of RAM to 32GB of RAM on my ASRock Extreme6 Z77. I am using Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10).

I receive my extra 16GB of RAM (another 16GB of the exact RAM I was already using), pop it in, fire up my rig, and Dr. Debug beeps at me 4 times, and registers code '55' on my little mobo LED screen, then my computer shuts down and tries rebooting again. This cycle continues until I turn off the power on my computer and pull out the two sticks of RAM I just installed.

The beep and '55' code indicate a problem with the memory. I swapped slots, and tried every configuration I could, and my computer will boot just fine with only two sticks of the Corsair Extreme ram in, but as soon as I add the other two sticks, bringing the count to four sticks, with a total of 32BG of RAM, I get the beep codes and the '55' code from Dr. Debug.

My manual states the mobo can support a maximum of 32GB of RAM, but apparently not 32 GB of Corsair Extreme. Luckily Amazon is allowing me to return the extra 16GB of RAM.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience. I was hoping there was some 'magic button' in the ASRock BIOS, but I could not find anything to indicate why I could not install the extra 16GB of Corsair Extreme RAM. :shrug:

Just wanted to make sure the new sticks were good.

Did you try at lower mem speeds?

Well, I did go into the BIOS and check my memory settings, and everything was set to 'Auto' for speed and voltages, so I did not change anything.

Honestly, I was a little surprised the mobo bawked at the extra memory. I kind of feel that if the system will not auto detect it, the extra memory will be more trouble than it is worth.

There's not really a lot of things that would necessitate 32GB of RAM anyway

There's not really a lot of things that would necessitate 32GB of RAM anyway
I primarily wanted to mess around with the Hyper-V built in to Windows 8 and mess around with some virtual machine configs.

But besides that, the 16GB I was running was more than sufficient for my gaming and other computer habits.

Enter BIOS with 16GB, set all timings and memory clock manually to 1600 10-10-10-28 2N and higher VCCIO+VCCSA voltages ( +0.1-0.2V ). Next add 2nd 16GB and check if it's working. Can also try higher tRFC like +100 to what you already have so if you have 180 then set 260-280.
Next thing ... if you have everything to auto but not XMP then try change memory setting to XMP. Maybe board will set some other timings.

Enter BIOS with 16GB, set all timings and memory clock manually to 1600 10-10-10-28 2N and higher VCCIO+VCCSA voltages ( +0.1-0.2V ). Next add 2nd 16GB and check if it's working. Can also try higher tRFC like +100 to what you already have so if you have 180 then set 260-280.
Next thing ... if you have everything to auto but not XMP then try change memory setting to XMP. Maybe board will set some other timings.
Ok, thanks. I will check that in the morning, especially the XMP. I did see that setting. I saw I could toggle 'auto' or 'XMP profile' (or something like that).

Well, I still could not get it working. Same thing: 4 beeps and Dr. Debug code 55.

Oh well, like I said, Amazon is giving me a refund, so I need to get this packed up for return shipping.

Thanks again for all the feedback. :)

ASRock boards are known to be picky with ram when using that much. You should be able to populate all the slots with 32GiB just fine with compatible ram.

Wish I could give you more info. I stick with G.Skill and it's always worked for me in every board so far. I currently use a ASRock Z77 Fatality Pro as my ESXi mobo, and the 8GiB x 4 sticks of G.Skill ram I purchased for it work just fine. Of course, I'm not overclocking either since it is a 24/7 server setup, so that may be a factor.

Wish I could give you more info. I stick with G.Skill and it's always worked for me in every board so far. I currently use a ASRock Z77 Fatality Pro as my ESXi mobo, and the 8GiB x 4 sticks of G.Skill ram I purchased for it work just fine. Of course, I'm not overclocking either since it is a 24/7 server setup, so that may be a factor.

I too like G.Skill. I just happen to have the Corsair in this rig.

It is good to know that 32GB is supported, it just depends on the RAM.

I'm not overclocking either. I tried both the XMS memory profile and the Auto memory profile with the same results. The memory has been returned so the point is moot now, but I'm glad to know the issue was likely the type/brand of RAM I was using, and not a problem with the mobo.

Thanks again!

I realize this post is 'very' old now, but I am still running the same rig after all these years, and I have revisited the need to get 32GB of RAM in this system, especially since Asrock advertises 32GB is supported.

I reached out to Asrock support and was given the reply listed below. For the record, I am currently on BIOS 2.70, and was at the time of my original post. I have ordered another set of 16GB Corsair ram like I have now, and will follow the described steps this weekend to see if they work.

'Hello,

Please flash the bios to 2.80E from the link below.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z77 Extreme6/index.us.asp#BIOS

Please start bios update with one stick of memory first.

Corsair vengeance module is what we use on Z77 Ext6 for testing purpose. Thank you for your time.'

Keep in mind, at the time of this reply, 2.80E is a beta version released on 8/14/2015. 2.80 was released on 7/23/2017. I will likely try 2.80 first before going to 2.80E since I prefer not to run beta versions.

I will report back after this weekend.

Hope this helps others.

I haven't done anything yet. The extra RAM hasn't even arrived from Amazon yet. I plan to try all this on Sunday, Oct 1 when I have the time. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch.

I will keep you posted.

Yes please let use know how it goes .

I updated my BIOS to 2.80E as instructed by Asrock with only one stick of RAM installed (8GB). The update worked just fine.

I installed all 32GB of RAM and the system POSTED fine, so I went back into the BIOS to the OCTweak menu to change my memory profile back to 'XMP 1.3'. After saving changes and rebooting, the computer would beep 4 times, and not boot correctly. I got back into the BIOS, changed the memory XMP 1.3 profile back to 'Auto', saved and rebooted. My computer rebooted into Windows 10 with no issues on the Auto memory profile, and Windows 10 shows 32GB of RAM.

I have replied to my ticket with ASrock asking if this is intended, or if there is something else I need to do.

ASRock replied and stated this:

'Hello,

You may tried without loading the XMP 1.3 profile, just select the DRAM Freq and set the memory to 1600mhz and see if that make any different.'

Back