• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32GB or 16GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KTRF

Registered
Hi, building a video editing and encoding PC using this MB, Z370 Taichi

Just trying to save a few ££ and was wondering if I would see any big difference in the day to day performance of my PC if I used 16GB of DDR4 instead of 32BG.
Would it really make that much difference not having 32BG installed.
I don't need top notch speed, more interested in a stable PC.

Thanks in advance.

That all depends on what size of files you're editing and encoding. Video editing can be incredibly RAM intensive depending what resolution, video length, effects used, etc.

The question in addition to above is will you actually use what you get? Are you close to 16GB now? Then get 32GB. If not, I would stick with 16GB. But the need is determined on how you use the PC and if you are close to/surpassing that 16GB value already.

Thanks guys, I've an old 2700K and very stable PC with 16GB of HyperX DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
I use it every day and it never let me down but think its time to go again and I was going to get myself an 8700K chip.
I've no complaints about my encoding speed although faster would be nice.

I need/want a new PC for 4K editing.

Ok. Got that from the first post already. :)

Just check to see how much RAM you are using and that will tell you how much is needed.

just did a test encode from a HD timeline and task manager says 5.0 in use and 10.0 available.

A question for the more knowledgeable. Would a chip with such a huge performance lead actually be able to use more of the RAM for those tasks? Or is the RAM scheduling on a totally different process? (software)

A question for the more knowledgeable. Would a chip with such a huge performance lead actually be able to use more of the RAM for those tasks? Or is the RAM scheduling on a totally different process? (software)

RAM in the case of video editing is all in loading the effects/video into temporary memory. The more complex the effects added and the higher resolution the video the more RAM used.

just did a test encode from a HD timeline and task manager says 5.0 in use and 10.0 available.

Well if 6GB is the greatest amount memory your using in all applications than 16GB will be enough.

Last edited:
I would buy 16GB of something popular and in case if you start doing more RAM intensive work then just add 16GB. I'm talking about popular series like Crucial Ballistix or Kingston Fury/Predator 2666-3200 just because they never change IC under the same product number so it's easy to find their kits in stores with exactly the same specs.

Well if 6GB is the greatest amount memory your using in all applications than 16GB will be enough.

OK Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you set your software to use more than the default amount of ram?

No..Don't know how to do that and thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I would buy 16GB of something popular and in case if you start doing more RAM intensive work then just add 16GB. I'm talking about popular series like Crucial Ballistix or Kingston Fury/Predator 2666-3200 just because they never change IC under the same product number so it's easy to find their kits in stores with exactly the same specs.

OK, thanks for the advice.

Guys, everyone relax LOL, First of all you must ask him what OS he uses. Because if he uses Windows 10 then you need 16GB RAM. Im talking a normal user, if you have 8GB with Win10 have fun with the trashing and lagging and what not. I was playing UT alpha last night and it was taking up 7GB of RAM. The OS alone takes up couple GB, then you need a good cache with takes up RAM. This 6GB out of 8GB of RAM must of had thrashing and hickups and lag. So you must go to 16GB which you did but, your only good with 16 if your a normal user who never wants lag and loves speed. You my friend are not a normal user, and Im just saying if your a pro user, get yourself a 32GB kit and enjoy the ride.

Guys, everyone relax LOL, First of all you must ask him what OS he uses. Because if he uses Windows 10 then you need 16GB RAM. Im talking a normal user, if you have 8GB with Win10 have fun with the trashing and lagging and what not. I was playing UT alpha last night and it was taking up 7GB of RAM. The OS alone takes up couple GB, then you need a good cache with takes up RAM. This 6GB out of 8GB of RAM must of had thrashing and hickups and lag. So you must go to 16GB which you did but, your only good with 16 if your a normal user who never wants lag and loves speed. You my friend are not a normal user, and Im just saying if your a pro user, get yourself a 32GB kit and enjoy the ride.

Windows 10 task manger and other memory utilization utilities will measure all memory in use. The OS, games, web browsing, all programs he is running all at the same time will show total amount. The OS task manger memory will add them all together to show memory is use. The extra system memory Cache is only good for programs or data you close and reopen without shunting off the PC.

Last edited:
Win10 actually uses less RAM than Win7/8 and manages it better. Even with 2 games up + some other stuff in the background I barely ever see more than ~10GB RAM in use. I play BDO which runs 24/7 and add Civilization VI from time to time on the largest map. Both can use a lot of RAM. I have 32-64GB kits laying around but I simply see no point of using them in my gaming PC (and I still use them for comparison tests but that's other thing).
If it was me then I would spend more money on a graphics card than additional RAM for games.

Guys, everyone relax LOL, First of all you must ask him what OS he uses.

Hi, I've win 10 Pro 64bit.

I don't play games, just use PC for video editing and encoding and making DVDs.
If encoding for whatever reason I mostly tend to leave PC alone, I don't find the need to open another program.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
This guy needs 16GB minimum if hes doing video editing and rendering and what not. Its a no brainer. I were him go 32GB kit and dont look back.

Hi, I've win 10 Pro 64bit.

I don't play games, just use PC for video editing and encoding and making DVDs.
If encoding for whatever reason I mostly tend to leave PC alone, I don't find the need to open another program.

Thanks everyone.

If your hardcore into video editing I prefer Cores or Threads over single core speed. When rendering you need help, not necessarily speed. Wait a month and grab the 9900k 8core 16 threads and you should be good to go. If you cant wait a month or so then buy the 8700k OC it, well help you do that and youll be set. Either way your getting a powerful CPU that will tackle your video editing needs, once again go for the 32GB since your a pro editor and its not a small hobby..good luck

Back