• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3700x worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeta09

Registered
Aww man...

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Seems the community has been strong and live since I've been gone so that's good to see.....

On to the business. I have a Ry 5 2600 paired w/ x470 Taichi on Water.

Seems that there is much buzz about the 3700x and now 3900(x) so the question is:

Is it time to upgrade?

I researched and knew back then that the Ry 5 2600 was NOT the best for gaming (that at the time was the comparable Intel chip) and I must admit the rig I have is fairly stable but every once in a while there will be hiccups during gaming sessions. Nothing to rage or complain immensely about but they have happened.

I have peeked at the above review and got some ideas but wanted to get some feedback first. I would just want to do a straight chip swap and keep everything else I have in that rig the same. I can list the specs if needed.

Thanks in advance......

Looking at reviews only (some people will have more hands on experience) there is very little between say the 3600x and 3700x when gaming. If this rig is primarily for gaming I think you would see little difference in FPS just getting the 3600x and saving a few $$$.

The extra ipc increase in the 3600x over the 2600 is a big enough jump that you will notice the difference. If it’s enough of a difference is up to you.

If you need the extra few cores for other things then by all means go for the 3700x. For gaming I’m not sure it will be worth it.

I think it depends a lot on your GPU, resolution and refresh rate. 1080p with moderate settings and a weaker GPU will show a bigger difference in CPU and 1440p with max settings which will show almost none.

If you're interested, you can set up an OSD (on screen display) with rivatuner and either HWiNFO64 or MSI Afterburner to see what your CPU usage is during gaming and specifically during the fps drops. If it's at or near 100% (on at least one core or however many are being utilized) then yeah. 3600X and 3700X have the same (4.4GHz) max boost, so unless your games are able to use more than 6c/12t (unlikely), then they will perform the same.

Somehow I doubt that you will see the difference between 2600 and 3700X in most things. 3700X will be slightly faster but nothing really significant. Games at lower display resolution will run a bit faster on the 3700X but everything at 1440p+ will be about the same. It mostly depends on the graphics card, not the CPU. Also, games won't really use additional CPU cores. 3600X seems like a better idea but also not sure if it's worth it.

Full specs would help, along with the game titles of most interest.

Hiccups during gaming could be CPU but also could be disk related e.g. if it can't stream the next bit in time.

For gaming I didn't find OG Ryzen to be great for high fps on older titles, if that is what you are going for. They weren't made for more cores, and just wanted clock/IPC, both were lacking. I haven't repeated the testing myself on Zen 2 yet, but the reconfigured cache is supposed to help, along with the IPC improvements.

Is a 3700X worth it over a 2600 = Yes indeed.
Over a 2700X, probably a lot less so.

I'd upgrade. why not? Better IPC couple more threads..... can't go wrong.

mackerel said:
For gaming I didn't find OG Ryzen to be great for high fps on older titles, if that is what you are going for. They weren't made for more cores, and just wanted clock/IPC, both were lacking

Yeah I could see it going that way. The hiccups that I had was that at times there would be sluggishness in doing things (or just crash) in X-Com 2 or after deeply investigating all the issues and getting to a fairly stable and heavily modded Skyrim it would crash here and there at times.

These are things that DID NOT happen with the OC'ed FX 8350 I was running previously. Again it doesn't happen all that often and I'm truly not complaining about the build. My gaming rig with my Ry 5 is pretty good but since they have these newer chips out I was curious.

I think I will wait for the next Gen of chips. Still researching some things tho

Zerileous said:
If you're interested, you can set up an OSD (on screen display) with rivatuner and either HWiNFO64 or MSI Afterburner to see what your CPU usage is during gaming and specifically during the fps drops. If it's at or near 100% (on at least one core or however many are being utilized) then yeah. 3600X and 3700X have the same (4.4GHz) max boost, so unless your games are able to use more than 6c/12t (unlikely), then they will perform the same.

That's a great idea!! Thanks for the tip!

I'm guessing with both of those titles you're going to see a FPS increase from a CPU upgrade (specifically the IPC improvement, as well as the clock speed - I don't think 6c v 8c matters here), but what still remains a question to me is whether you need more FPS in those games. It depends on your monitor/refresh rate etc. Also those are not twitch shooters etc that really benefit from 60+ FPS, so it's a decision you can make. What FPS are you seeing in those games now?

What you're describing sounds like an unstable memory controller tbh. What memory are you running? What speed and timings? What is your SOC voltage? Ryzen 3 series do much better than the Ryzen 2 (which did much better than the Ryzen 1) in this aspect, so if you were to simply upgrade you could leave yourself thinking you needed a new CPU, when really a bit of tweaking could have solved your issues.

Back