• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3770K De-lidded and lapped With Liquid Pro - Awesome results.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Where did the overclock go after the change?

+1, I'm curious about that too. I've got a 3770K that's pretty hot but don't want to bother with this if the max OC on water doesn't improve.

Great results on your chip though!

+1, I'm curious about that too. I've got a 3770K that's pretty hot but don't want to bother with this if the max OC on water doesn't improve.

While I haven't exactly pushed mine harder than 48x100, I could probably get to 4.9GHz with some BCLK adjustments, especially at 1.450V. I tried 49x100 and it required too much voltage for 24/7 Stability... somewhere between 1.480V and 1.500V which was more than I was comfortable with. 5.0GHz wouldn't prime at 1.500V so I'm willing to bet it would require a lot to get 5.0GHz stable.

Water temps for me were about 30ºC after 24 hours with an ambient of 21ºC.

Running the Swiftech X20-220 with the Apogee HD block. The radiator is in push/pull with 4x Cougar Vortex 120mm fans. Only other thing in the water loop is the power delivery on the ASRock Formula OC.

It sucks to be voltage limited rather than temp limited... even at 1.500V, max temps never got into the 80's.

dtrunk: It really isn't bad, just go slow, don't go in too far and just keep working from the corners. When I did mine I applied pressure so that once the blade was under the IHS the pressure would pull the end of the blade away from the PCB to prevent nicking the PCB. Then you just apply a little pressure and rock it back and forth from the corners. Just go SLOW. didn't take me but 10 minutes and the stress was gone! :)

Where did the overclock go after the change?

This is my 24/7 stable OC.
She benches higher no problem, I use another SSD for benching, but I have yet to achieve anything stable enough for Pi32 above 4.8ghz which is dissapointing. Going to try a few tricks later like lower ram speed / toiming and voltage, plus HT off, but for tonight, its 3D Mark Fire Strike until I cant stay awake any longer.

I am loving being No:1 in the world for a while. LOL :comp:

This Liquid pro and liquid ultra, what is what, and does it have to be this when doing this?

Could you answer this please? I am planning on doing this, but i have no idea what i would use where? ATM i am just using Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste, i know my IHS is far from flat, which is another thing i want to fix at the same time, im 100% sure on how to do that, but this liquid pro and ultra, and where to put what is a still a question i have, and do i have to use this make or are there other makes out there??

Could you answer this please? I am planning on doing this, but i have no idea what i would use where? ATM i am just using Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste, i know my IHS is far from flat, which is another thing i want to fix at the same time, im 100% sure on how to do that, but this liquid pro and ultra, and where to put what is a still a question i have, and do i have to use this make or are there other makes out there??
Post #4? :shrug:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7402080&postcount=4

I can tell you that when I delidded mine I managed to overclock up to 4.8ghz with the H100 when it was previously limited to 4.55ghz...

And with the Custom loop I managed 4.9ghz with a max temp of 86C.

Overclocking will most likely improve :D

I can tell you that when I delidded mine I managed to overclock up to 4.8ghz with the H100 when it was previously limited to 4.55ghz...

And with the Custom loop I managed 4.9ghz with a max temp of 86C.

Overclocking will most likely improve :D
It should... but it depends on the chip. If you are sitting at 1.45v 4.8Ghz, it doesnt matter what the temperature is as you are already hitting the 'red' for voltage. However, if you are sitting at 1.35v and 4.8Ghz and hitting 90C, this is something that will likely help get a couple hundred MHz more. It just depends on the CPU. :thup:

@ OP Did you lap your heatsink as well? Would only make sense to finish the job after going to all that trouble on the IHS.

shoot for 5ghz, do itttttt XD

having said that if you want to push a 5ghz clock it might be worth turning off HT. I know that sounds silly considering you paid extra for it, but for example if you are mainly gaming and not using HT it might be worth it to get a higher clock. With HT off i can hit 5ghz on about 1.45v's on my 2700k. With HT on i have to bump the V's by a couple of notches. I even with 1.5vs+ for benching on 5.2/3ghz i tend to hover around 80c, so still got a bit of headroom.

To be honest this is all irrelevant if you want want to push your clock. but i would say it could be fun. I want to sell my 2700k and get a 3770k just to delid it as a project. But then again if i could only hit say 4.8ghz i would be gutted as i wouldnt see any performance increase over my current SB.

Last edited:
It should... but it depends on the chip. If you are sitting at 1.45v 4.8Ghz, it doesnt matter what the temperature is as you are already hitting the 'red' for voltage. However, if you are sitting at 1.35v and 4.8Ghz and hitting 90C, this is something that will likely help get a couple hundred MHz more. It just depends on the CPU. :thup:

It most certainly does.:)

Greg

Back