• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3770k stock cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElricM

Registered
I've got everything for a new 3770K build coming, but unfortunately I'm stuck waiting for the Swiftech H220 to become available again. I'm assuming there is no problem going ahead and doing the rest of the build with the stock cooler? Obviously will then have to remove it, clean off TIM from CPU, etc. but at least I can get the rest of the pieces working? It's all going into a Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case, so I don't think I've have any problems retrofitting the H220 when I can get one?

You are in the same situation I've been a month ago. Don't wait, go ahead, it took me 2 minutes to remove the stock cooler and clean the tim mess. The only problem is, IT LOOKS AWFUL! haha. BTW you will love the H220. OC'd to 4.5 24/7.

See, now this is where i think the H220 fails, yes it is said to be a better cooler, but i gave corsair a chance, and can overclock my 3770K to 5Ghz while barely breaking temps of 80*C at full load. Now either i have a nice chip, or it's one hell of a water cooler, i'm thinking it's the water cooler, because i'm nothing good with luck!

I should also add, it's cheaper, and i have a 24/7 OC at 4.7Ghz with 1.375V running through it. temps barely break 75C AT FULL LOAD.

See, now this is where i think the H220 fails, yes it is said to be a better cooler, but i gave corsair a chance, and can overclock my 3770K to 5Ghz while barely breaking temps of 80*C at full load. Now either i have a nice chip, or it's one hell of a water cooler, i'm thinking it's the water cooler, because i'm nothing good with luck!

I should also add, it's cheaper, and i have a 24/7 OC at 4.7Ghz with 1.375V running through it. temps barely break 75C AT FULL LOAD.

Darren, are you assuming that H220 can't keep up under 80*C at full load (prime 95)?

I don't understand your logic. You think that the H220 fails for what reason? You have a good chip (good lottery pick) and your corsair does a good job (as it is supposed to), yet you don't have any evidence or argument against the H220?

What i'm saying is yes, it's a good cooler, but you could do better for cheaper...

Cheaper maybe, but not better. Plus, you get stuck with the H100 not being able to expand it if desired. I'm a previous owner of the H100 and for me, it was noisy and not too hot, or silent and a heater.

Well, everyone has their own experiences! :p I find my to run cool, but i also have like 8 fans running in my case, that keep the board temps at like 15C

But you don't have any experience with the H220.

Sorry, didn't mean to take this off topic (@ the OP).

Darren, if you would like to discuss the merits/pros/cons of the H220 vs the H100/H110 please feel free to make a thread in the water cooling section.

Thanks. The DS 1 says it will take either 120 or 140mm on top. I'd still prefer the Swiftech, so haven't really sliced and diced the H100 vs H110 choice. I know H110 can do better on cooling, but I don't know about fan noise and if it's as flexible at controlling speeds.

The H110 as physics say can help. It's a bigger rad.

And if Corsair got the bugs out it should be fine. Mora Raddage is always good. I bet it will beat the H220 by a bit. But, the H110 is not the quality or upgrade ability of the H220.

NO CPU needs more than the H110, it's a bit of overkill. Hopefully the 140mm fans on the H110 are better than the whining and junk fans on the H100 (i) series.

I know the H220 fans are decent.

It's 220 or custom. Quality or headaches. You choose. It's a hobby, so there is NEVER a rush on a build or a need. HOBBY, not a job.

Back