• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3800X2 horrible 3dmark results did i buy the wrong processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahbroody

System basics
500w
kn8sli pro board
1 gig of memory
1 7800gt

Okay i had a 3200+ ocd just a little with a 7800gt and was getting 3dmark 05 scores of 7300.

Last night frys had the 3800x2 with a cheap board on sale for 279.00. I bought it just for the core. Happy as **** go home slap it in an 3dmark to a whoping 5500. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
All I do on this home unit is surf the web and play cs source. That is all. What are my best options, did i screw something up. What are the best voltage settings??
At this point i think i would be better of getting a second 7800gt.
As far a future games needing dual core i would rather wait and get an even better dual core later in 8-12 months when thoose games are out. Wha do you guys think?????

What is the clock speed on the x2. And also have you installed the latest drivers and fixes, this could be what's causing your problem.

The 3800X2 will give you pretty much the same 3Dmark as a single core Venice at the same speed. A single core Opteron/San Diego with 1 MB L2 will give you a much higher score. If you are looking for higher 3Dmark, you want to be looking at the L2. Even a 754 Clawhammer with a 1MB L2 will give you better 3dMark at same speed. X2 will give you the gain is in the multi-task over single core. That's about it.

Yes, you would be better of getting a second 7800gt or even a single core Opteron with 1MB L2. The second 7800gt will give you better score over the CPU (even if the CPU is a dual-core Opteron).

"The 3800X2 will give you pretty much the same 3Dmark as a single core Venice at the same speed. "

The difference is it will do this while only using 50% of your total system resources :D meaning you could run 3dmark in teh background.....and do a ton of other crap in the foreground and end up with virtually the exact same score give or take a few points.

somns rong bc i got 7*** right out of the box None oc
ill run a benchy to show u

Last edited:
yes i know they oc and yes i did oc and it improved a little but still.
My point is this:
Why am i gonna spen 279 for a processor which is going into a gaming rig which will not yield me any better frames or 3dmark score when i can keep my existing 3200 oc and instead with that money buy a second 7800gt and slap a 3800 x2 upside the head with mark and fps in cs source which is all i use it for?????

I am asking for a legitamte source that shows a 3800x2 with a 7800gt is better than a 3200 ocd with 2 7800gts. Because when you look at price of cores and cards the 2 different setups are very very close in price.
MIke

ahbroody said:
yup I just found this article so i guess i will be returning the dual core and going sandiego 3700 single core. I figure in about a year I will upgrade the processor again when all the new games use dual core and the processor war is in full effect. this article was very good.
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=461
Overclock the San Diego to 2.9 and you'll notice a nice increase in 3DMark.

If I want to build a system for application and multi-task, dual core Opteron would be best. There is a huge gain in dual-core in this area. Some have almost 100% gain.

In gaming, you'll wont gain much. It depends more on the L2 and CPU clock speed. Maybe future games may be able to utilize the dual core but that time will not be anytime soon.

In your situation, I would return the X2 and get a 2nd 7800GT if you still have your other CPU. If you no longer have it, then get the San Diego or Opteron.

no i still have the 3200 and the zalman cooler. I returned the 3800 and almost bought a san diego for 240 but said no. i will order the 7800gt tonight see what the score is then decide on the sandiego but probally will just wait till next year for a new processor.

ahbroody said:
no i still have the 3200 and the zalman cooler. I returned the 3800 and almost bought a san diego for 240 but said no. i will order the 7800gt tonight see what the score is then decide on the sandiego but probally will just wait till next year for a new processor.

Why don't you wait a few more weeks to get the 7800GT? I think price of that card will go down once the 7900s are released.

ahbroody said:

Make sure you get the exact same card if you want to do SLI. SLI with different cards does not seem to work too well.

well I ran a bfg and evag 6600gt without issue you just have to make the slower card control, but this time i will likely get matching cards. I guess i could also wait a few weeks to see if the 7800 price drops when is the 7900 supposed to come out??
Lately I have been gaming a lot on my laptop as the 7800gtx in it is actually pretty nice.
Mike

Bench with 3dmark06 and you'll see the advantage dual core has.

However most games out there today won't do anything with the second core, CSS being one of them.

I play CSS with my X2 and use cad, surf the web, photoshop while I'm dead. Try doing that with your single core. :)

thats odd..

i read a review linked off of ocforums a while back.

an X2 3800+ @ 2.5ghz runs better than a sandy @ 2.4 ghz..

sure its not fair game..

but my cpu voltage alternates between 1.34/1.36? usually stays on 1.36.

soo i have a 2.5ghz @ 1.36 while my friends sandy is @ 1.38. its interesting. :)

yes the 3dmark benchies were better with the 3800+ @ 2.5

I didn't get too well with using everything straight out of the box, had to redo memory timings, reconfigure everything. install the dual core drivers. and bang i get better scores. :) comparable to 1900XTX i guess.

3dmark03 - 24998
05 - 12228
06 - below..

soo adono.. X2 isn't supposed to be that bad >.< they're dual cores and dual cores are funky. a small .01 voltage bump gave me 500 mhz boost XD

did you try installing the windows XP dual core hotfix? that brought my scores up by a ton with my presler

Sneaky said:
did you try installing the windows XP dual core hotfix? that brought my scores up by a ton with my presler
That hotfix causes more problems that it fixes, but here is an 3dmark05 results :7549

Sneaky said:
it helped a crapload with my presler and never gave me any problems... but thats just me :shrug:
Now i dont know about the p4s but it prob did somin with them but i didnt tell a diff other than about 50points more in 3dmark06

EDIT: other than givin me the BSOD :bang head

Last edited:
Back