• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3800X2 horrible 3dmark results did i buy the wrong processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ahbroody said:
System basics
500w
kn8sli pro board
1 gig of memory
1 7800gt

Okay i had a 3200+ ocd just a little with a 7800gt and was getting 3dmark 05 scores of 7300.

Last night frys had the 3800x2 with a cheap board on sale for 279.00. I bought it just for the core. Happy as **** go home slap it in an 3dmark to a whoping 5500. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
All I do on this home unit is surf the web and play cs source. That is all. What are my best options, did i screw something up. What are the best voltage settings??
At this point i think i would be better of getting a second 7800gt.
As far a future games needing dual core i would rather wait and get an even better dual core later in 8-12 months when thoose games are out. Wha do you guys think?????
also did u make sure the board had the bios that supported an x2 that might b ur prob also :shrug:

ahbroody said:
yup I just found this article so i guess i will be returning the dual core and going sandiego 3700 single core. I figure in about a year I will upgrade the processor again when all the new games use dual core and the processor war is in full effect. this article was very good.
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=461
Thats a good choice, a diego should hold up with all of the newer games being released this year easily. As for me, ill be wating for the Conroe quad cores.

to most of the questions asked yes.
the point i made and am making again is that all i do with the damn thing is play cs source and surf the web, and not at the same time. No one has disputed my point yet that a cheap 100 dollare processor and 2 7800gts will slap the 3800x2 with one 7800gt upside the head for gaming. I dont do cad or surf or anything else while gaming. I GAME while gaming and watch others after i die for pointers and ideas

as evilt's score of 7549 shows. I am at 7389 almost 7400ish depends on day with my 3200+ lightly oCD with out playing with my mem. If I throw a second 7800gt on my board i am stating my system will whoop his score every day of the week.

Look i know you guys love your dual cores and in a sense need to justify the purchase of them. All I am saying is for me who only uses the system to game and surf the web and not at the same time a 3200+ or 3700+ and 2 7800gt's will kick the alternatives arse. for other things yeah i will get smoked, but i was thinking that in 6 months or so when games may actually utuilize the dual core then i may buy one, but for now my money is better spent on the second 7800gt.

Michael Warren said:
Thats a good choice, a diego should hold up with all of the newer games being released this year easily. As for me, ill be wating for the Conroe quad cores.
Yeahthat is what i was thinking i want to see what happens with the intel duals coming out and see what happens with prices of everything and i am betting i might see a better alternative to the 3800 or 165 opty in a few months. I am not die hard amd i am die hard good stability and performance for a good price. I dont have to have the best of the best, just good. This is why i am going with 2 7800gts over the 1 gtx because for the price i get 40 pipelines in sli vs 24 pipelines none sli. So in 6 months i may jump back to intel, what ever is best bang for the buck. As for the 64bit yeah well it has been out for a long while now and there still is very little taking advantage of it. **** vista is still not out what a waste.

You must have some kind of issue or something as I have almost the same

setup as you and get 10K + in 3dmark 05 and 12-13K + with sli running.

Maybe you need to install the latest Nvidia Drivers for your Video Card.

Also try updating the x2 driver through windows update.

Then goto amd and install the x2 patch and you should be Burning up those

scores.

A-Rapture said:
You must have some kind of issue or something as I have almost the same

setup as you and get 10K + in 3dmark 05 and 12-13K + with sli running.

Maybe you need to install the latest Nvidia Drivers for your Video Card.

Also try updating the x2 driver through windows update.

Then goto amd and install the x2 patch and you should be Burning up those

scores.

please post proof as my numbers are very inline with what is posted on the web and yours are very out of line proof please.
Unless you are refering to evilt but i want proof anyway. The thread i posted in the begining also tends to go against your post.
I have a 3200+ and the 3800+ definetly did not work for me, maybe it was bad maybe there was some unknown issue. I dont see how, all my marks tend to be right in line with the norm. I love frys because i always try things out and then return them.

I would really like you to post some screen shots.
Mike

Last edited:
ahbroody said:
please post proof as my numbers are very inline with what is posted on the web and yours are very out of line proof please.
Unless you are refering to evilt but i want proof anyway. The thread i posted in the begining also tends to go against your post.
I have a 3200+ and the 3800+ definetly did not work for me, maybe it was bad maybe there was some unknown issue. I dont see how, all my marks tend to be right in line with the norm. I love frys because i always try things out and then return them.

I would really like you to post some screen shots.
Mike
Agreed, post a screeny

ahbroody said:
yup I just found this article so i guess i will be returning the dual core and going sandiego 3700 single core. I figure in about a year I will upgrade the processor again when all the new games use dual core and the processor war is in full effect. this article was very good.
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=461

ahbroody, with my system in my sig and my css config, I get constant 200+ FPS in Source :) your gonna love the 3700+ SanDiego is pwnage :D

InfiniteThought said:
Bench with 3dmark06 and you'll see the advantage dual core has.

However most games out there today won't do anything with the second core, CSS being one of them.

I play CSS with my X2 and use cad, surf the web, photoshop while I'm dead. Try doing that with your single core. :)

maby hes not a total nub, and doesnt die that often :)

Man stop tallking like that you are gonna make me buy the processor instead of the 7800gt. Now i am debating. I already play well enough for only playing for 6 months, i play to much i thinks :).
So yeah i am definetly staying away from dual core for now and will just wait and game with my single core. Scarry though my single core does not oc well last night at 2.5 it shut down after gaming for about 2 hours. It has never OCD well.
Mike

-aDaM^ said:
ahbroody, with my system in my sig and my css config, I get constant 200+ FPS in Source :) your gonna love the 3700+ SanDiego is pwnage :D
Yea any game using the HL code seems to utilize the processor to its extent. I get an average of 185fps on the source benchmark test completly maxed out at 1024*768.

well seeing as how i bought the 7800gt 2 weeks ago for 300ish and the 7900gt came out today for 300ish. I yanked the card out, boxed it up and will be taking it to the store this afternoon as the 7900gt is on its way from newegg. I should have bought the 3700 it seems, but it will have to wait a few weeks.
Mike

3700 new asus a8n32 deluxe and 7900 gt = 3dmark 05 score of 8670.
The gigabyte board sucks for OC I have barely began to play with the ASUS so I am sure my numbers will go up processor at 2.4 rightnow will try to take it to 2.6 and see what the score is.
Mike
A-rapture i am still waiting for a screen shot of your alleged numbers please post otherwise i say BS.

Back