• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3900x RAM & memory controller OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lightingman117

Registered
Hi, I can't seem to get my 3900x memory controller or RAM to OC to 3600 stable.
I posted on LTT forums, but no responses to my latest so figured I'd try here in a dedicated OC forum.

I'm okay if I just lost silicon lottery on the memory controller side, but I want to confirm that.
I don't want to commit RMA fraud or whatever, but if I got bad RAM that can't hit 3600 (or lower speeds with good timings); I would like an exchange.

I have tried keeping FCLK at 1600 and upping memory speed but can't get past 3600. And even at 3333 my timings are terrible.

Here's where I'm at right now.
CinR20: 7485
AllCore_MaxF: 4300MHz
Vcore 1.3125
MaxTcore_C: 81 (Cinebench)
MaxTmem_C: 36.9
FCLK: 1900
UCLK: 1666 (3333)
DRAM: 1.375v
16-19-19-19-39

Stock voltages:
SOC 1.1
VDDP 1.0979
VDDG 1.0979

Parts:
ASRock X570 Taichi
G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
3900x Stock cooler (I've never seen a temp above 80c even while messing with everything and mostly stays around 60c even under load and light OC.)
Antec 900 case
Sabrent Rocket Gen4
MSI GTX970
750w seasonic

I have the full journey posted here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1181175-cant-hit-3600ram-my-3900x-1800-fclk-journey/

Last edited:
Welcome!

Please list your exact RAM, and motherboard to start. :)

I didn't click on the LTT link, but I assume you walked through the basics... updated your motherboard to the latest BIOS, and these sticks are on the motherboard's QVL? Is this 2x8GB, 4x8GB? 2x16GB? need specs, please. :)

EDIT: I dug in the LTT link and found it...

ASRock X570

G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

3900x Stock cooler (I've never seen a temp above 80c even while messing with everything and mostly stays around 60c even under load and light OC.)

Antec 900 case

Sabrent Rocket Gen4

MSI GTX970

750w seasonic

What ASRock X570 board though?

Last edited:
I..am dumb. I totally meant to do that. Thanks for not yelling at me :p

I updated OP with specs.

Yes, mobo at 2.8 BIOS
Not on QVL. I believe anything over 3200 is OC and not supported, I think that's how it works?
ASRock's QVL is pretty bad; but all reports of people with same mobo & memory say these should work. XMP profile does work at 1600:1800:3600, but I can't keep FCLK 1:1 with memory controller.
2x16 GB in A2 and B2 slots (Mobo specified.)

Not on QVL. I believe anything over 3200 is OC and not supported, I think that's how it works?
That isn't how it works. If you look at the memory QVL list, you should see a lot of kits over 3200...

Again, which ASRock X570 board? There are a few....... :)

I...still dumb. :screwy: I just thought you'd know..I buy the best :p You know with my stock cooler and all.

x570 Taichi.

Okay thx, re-reading QVL stuff. https://www.cgdirector.com/best-memory-ram-amd-ryzen-cpus-3600-3700x-3900x/

When I bought the memory, I looked at other builds and they were using the same stuff. I thought I was good.

Is it really that easy, just follow QVL?
Can't find any 32GB kits, will 2x16 work if the single 16GB is good for 3800?

It should be that easy... but every CPU is different. If it isn't on the QVL, it hasn't been tested... that doesn't mean it does not work.

You'll likely need to play around with the voltages a bit. This isn't my forte so I will let the experts swing by and assist.

Copy, thanks.

That's what I was thinking. I realized it wasn't on QVL after receiving it, was heartbroken, but some reading suggested it should still work as others were using it with same CPU/Mobo/Ram combo.

I tried 1.4v DRAM and keeping FCLK low while bumping RAM freq up a bit at a time.

I found I couldn't jump freq, I had to do 33MHz increments and post each time. Can't get past 3333 at 1900 FCLK or 3600 at any FCLK even at 1.4v.

I have a hunch my Taichi can't figure out correct memory settings during training and/or the memory controller on the CPU is a bit slow.

I'd rather not spend more $$ on memory, but I wouldn't mind a nice fast 1800/1833/1866/1900 FCLK to matching memory speed @ 1:1 ratio.

Thanks!

Have you tried running the memory using only XMP and leaving CPU at stock.
Just clear BIOS (save your profile if you want) and reboot set the memory (your board should set the Fclk and uClk automatically to 1800) and see if it boots. You have the 32GB kit which will put more strain on the controller but should be do-able.

Where are you getting the Fclk speed from? If you use CPUz it'll show the memory and NB (uclck) speeds. If it won't boot to 3600 for the memory then try adding a bit of DRAM voltage set it manually to 1.4V then try again.

Ryzen Master
HWMonitor

It'll boot to 3600, but it won't be in 1:1 mode. It'll set FCLK to 1066 or something really slow.

I've tried 1.4 with XMP (3600, 16-19-19-19-39). Happy to try again, I'll have to force FCLK to something 1500 a good starting point?.

Does the Taichi have a ratio setting where you can set it 1:1
Are you using RM or BIOS for overclocking?

So when it sets itself to the offset fclk, have you tried manually setting it to the 1800/1:1?

DRAM voltage likely won't help, its going to be the SOC voltage for the memory controller on the CPU.

It strangely doesn't have an easily accessible ratio. What it has is direct access to fabric speed.
BIOS = RAM OC
RM = CPU OC [way easier]

Yes, and it won't post. Just bootloops until bios resets to the default settings which is 2133 or something for RAM and 1066 FCLK.

What I haven't messed with is SOC voltage. I mostly just set it stock or static to 1.1v
I don't know about Vsoc to know what to do with it.

To be clear, all my RAM testing was with all other parameters stock.

I'm happy to re-test any configuration deemed necessary.

I think what I haven't tried and should is use XMP profile and slowly increase FCLK speed from whatever it defaults to (1066) up to wherever it stops all else being stock.

When it stops, I can post what I get to (say 1400 FCLK). Then try different SoC voltages to overcome the block and/or DRAM voltages.

---

Also, I was able to boot 3600/1800 once into Win10 and run C20 once. I then stupidly pushed a CPU OC to 4.4GHz and it crashed. I have never been able to replicate that.

I would suggest using one or the other not both. Personally I didn't enjoy my experience with RM and found that after I used it I had a hard time getting any BIOS settings to work. I ended up uninstalling it and clearing the CMOS before I felt I had manual control back. You have to remember that RM is changing the BIOS from Windows I have used many utilities for this but RM seemed to be a bit of a control freak.
If it were me trying to get this to work that's the first thing I would do. Remove RMand restart the PC. Then shut down, clear the CMOS boot to BIOS and set the memory speed from there and if needed set the Fclk manually to 1800 but most boards should do that automatically with the memory speed change. I'm just not familiar with ASRock BIOS options

Thanks Johan45 and EarthDog!

I can do that for you! I shall remove RM, reset bios, start fresh. I just don't like the Taichi core OC sub-menu, but memory/fabric configs are easy.

I enjoyed this overview of the Taichi Mobo. Albeit a bit rambly
but that's Buildzoid :)

FWIW, RM was the way I was able to get my 3600/1800 setup previously.

So it did work at one time?
I always find it best to start fresh when you're in a situation like you are. I would reflash the BIOS myself but that's up to you most likely a good 30 second CLR CMOS will do the trick.

I have a ryzen 7 3700x that wont run an fclk over 1866 and seems to be a good chip for OC

Back