• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3900x RAM & memory controller OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can reflash too if you wish. Can't hurt I guess.

I'd be fine with FCLK of 1866 and ram at 3733 :)

---

What I did was find the most I could push my system given what my ram can do right now and 1900/3333 was best I could do.

it seems there has been no attempt to run at 1:1 ratio with 1800 fclk, I may be mistaken here. I would tender that a large portion of cpu wont make 1900 flck, and the ones that do- wont go much past that. Is there a reason for pushing for so much rather than a more modest number

Too many replies!

Johan45,
Yeah, once I got 1800/3600 IDR the timings. That was using RM.
I OC'd the CPU for funsies till windows crashed and have never gotten those settings to work agian. :(
Plenty of starts-from-fresh, etc.

Johna45
We have a plan, I'll do it and get back to y'all. Thanks!
I can reflash too if you wish. Can't hurt I guess.

---
Dejo,
I'd be fine with FCLK of 1866 and ram at 3733 :)

All,
What I did was find the most I could push my system given what my ram can do right now and 1900/3333 was best I could do.
Heck I'm fine with 1900/3333 & tight timings. But I can't even get good timings at 3333, its always very loose for the speed.

---

Dejo, All,

Yes, I push to 1900 FCLK cuz my memory (or controller, or both) can't/wont keep up with FCLK.
Also yes, I have tried even modest settings, nothing over 1600/3200 FCLK/MCLK (1:1) works, even with 1.4v DRAM & loose timings.

I'll do some more testing and report back with exact settings and give you what the max capabilities I can make it do.

lightingman117
You can multiquote responses. At the bottom right of each post is a reply with quote button next to it the (") with the (+) sign will let you select multiple posts. When done just hit reply with quote on the last post.

Ryzen Master
HWMonitor

It'll boot to 3600, but it won't be in 1:1 mode. It'll set FCLK to 1066 or something really slow.

I've tried 1.4 with XMP (3600, 16-19-19-19-39). Happy to try again, I'll have to force FCLK to something 1500 a good starting point?.

The Infinity Fabric should not need to depart from 1:1 at 3600 mhz.

lightingman117
You can multiquote responses. At the bottom right of each post is a reply with quote button next to it the (") with the (+) sign will let you select multiple posts. When done just hit reply with quote on the last post.

Beautiful, Thanks.

And yet, it does.

I have seen it on a couple of boards but it's very BIOS ver. dependant. It's as if they set it to split at 1800 not over 1800. Not sure if it's an oversight or intentional.

my guess is that if you had 100 cpu's to test that just a few would work at an fclk of over 1900. If you want to push for memory throughput- then find where your fclk lays down and then start working with memory speed/timings.
My 3700x will only boot with fclk of 1833 and no higher. I can boot at speed of over 4000, but havent really even attempted to find the max there as I just leave it at 1800/3600 and keep the 1:1 or 1866/3733.
I would also guess that trying to find a cpu that works at greater than 1900 fclk would cost lots of monies for not much pefromance gain.
If you cant get the timings you want then I would start to look at memory sticks that have Samsung b-die bits on them, but find some that are known to work at tight timings.
this is the set that I purchased and it works at 14/14/14/32 @ 1800flck/3600 and 1.4v

-That's where we're trying to get to. Hopefully a fresh start sorts things out.

Quick update. (Still need to run low FCLK & see what mem can do)

Uninstalled RM.
Did not re-flash BIOS yet.
Clear CMOS
Auto everything.
Loaded XMP profile (3600 16-19-19-19-39)
Booted to windows
HW_Info shows FCLK @ 1600

Will continue testing after playing with my offspring and update.
Thx all!

That's a step in the right direction. I'm pretty sure the system can change the fclk dynamically when all is on auto. try running CB20 and watch to see what speeds it hits. Don't forget that SW isn't always the most accurate

That's a step in the right direction. I'm pretty sure the system can change the fclk dynamically when all is on auto. try running CB20 and watch to see what speeds it hits. Don't forget that SW isn't always the most accurate

I have never heard of FCLK changing dynamically. voltage, core clock, etc; yes. FCLK, UCLK, MCLK?...no.
I can't find where Taichi reports Infinity Fabric speed in BIOS (when in auto mode) so I have to rely on software.

3600:1600
I ran CB20 got a 6900 score, FCLK did not change. CPU at ~4GHz AC OC. 76C maxT

3600RAM XMP; 1633 FCLK; no post. All stock/auto values.
I used reset button 3 times, no post.
I force powered off with power button...post...with 3600/1633?? what the heck, usually it reverts to stock settings by now.

Lets go further.
Pushed to 3600/1667 no post.
reset button...
Post after one try.

Weird, when I was finding out how high FCLK could go; I had to go in 33MHz steps all the way to 1900 (1933 wasn't stable) [memory at 3200]. So maybe the Taichi board is just finicky when it comes to memory training??

Lets go further :)
R20 7088 @ 3600/1733
Made it to 3600/1766 & posted

3600/1800 did not post [code 8d, same as all other times]
reset, posted, & booted!
R20 7109avg

Set OC to 4300 [my easily stable OC with RM]
no post, reset, post; no boot
fixed Vcore 1.4
DRAM 1.376
no post, reset, post & boot
R20 7617 @ 103C

Let's go all the way...
3800/1900
R20 7621

Go for broke?
Eh 3866/1933 didn't post. But that was fun.
I probably could if I gave memory some more voltage and played with Soc, VDDG/VDDP; I'll leave that for another time [& when I get an AIO or D15].

------------------

I found this entire process strange. I have tried nearly all these same settings and never got it to work.
But I randomly find that reset and let it boot multiple times works? Well I guess memory training works, call me a believer.
Very weird thing is after a reset the keyboard arrow keys don't work, +/- do & mouse does. Reboot fixes this.
Well..IDK what I was doing wrong before, but it's working now.

------------------

Setting back to realistic settings
3800/1900
Default everything [after a few reboots @ this setting I applied a 1.375v OC to DRAM, cuz it would sometimes not post at 1.35v]
R20 7105 CPU at ~4GHz AC OC. 81C maxT
IBT 140GFlops
RAM latency 67.3 & read/write is right under 50GB/s
P95 blend for 11min = stable-ish
So, all I need to do now is OC the core back to 4.3GHz, but I find it weird my RM OC thermal'd around 74c, but the 4.3 BIOS OC was 103c...?

Anyways, not sure what I did differently; but it's running smooth now :)

All higher ASRock X570 mobos use the same design or even share the same PCB. Taichi, Creator, Extreme, Steel, etc., all work about the same and OC CPU and memory the same. All use almost the same BIOS (with little changes) and all run with memory at 3600 and IF 1800 at auto. Only higher clocks require to set manual IF ratio.

If you keep the CPU clock at auto then FCLK clock will be changing dynamically as Johan already said. Simply, the software will show you various values that not always are correct. Still, the FCLK can't be higher than the memory clock.

Not every CPU runs at 3600/1800 IF 1:1 but most should run like that. Not every CPU will even boot at anything higher. Usually, higher memory capacity is causing problems with a higher mem clock and FCLK 1800+. My 3900X runs the same on ASUS and ASRock motherboards so up to 3800/1900 with a 2x8GB kit, up to 3733/1866 with a 2x16GB kit and up to 3600/1800 with a 2x32GB kit.

Typically, up to 3800, you shouldn't even change SOC voltage and most other things as long as the motherboard is not undervolting. It's like all at auto and play with ratios.
Your memory is based on Hynix IC so you can count on something like 3600-3800 16-19-19 or 16-20-20 and 1.35-1.45V. There can be also good results at 4133-4266 18-24-24 1.35-1.45V as long as the IC can handle it ... but I don't know how good IC is G.Skill using in these kits. If XMP is causing some weird behavior then you can try manual settings as I said and disable XMP. The motherboard should adjust all other timings which you can tweak manually later (first be sure that all is fully stable).

Last edited:
First, I really appreciate the help thus far and am very thankful. I am only seeking to understand what is going on.

If you keep the CPU clock at auto then FCLK clock will be changing dynamically as Johan already said. Simply, the software will show you various values that not always are correct. Still, the FCLK can't be higher than the memory clock..

This can't possibly be true. If it was then my 3600/auto R20 score of 6900 would equal the 3600/1800 R20 score of 7100.

I have poured over the scarce Zen2 IF documentation that I could find and I find no mention of the IF speed changing dynamically. If it was it would also incur a ram speed change with it. I have never heard nor read of DDR4 speeds changing nor can I find any documentation on that.

If this is indeed true, can someone point me to the documentation to how it's implemented?

All higher ASRock X570 mobos use the same design or even share the same PCB. Taichi, Creator, Extreme, Steel, etc., all work about the same and OC CPU and memory the same. All use almost the same BIOS (with little changes) and all run with memory at 3600 and IF 1800 at auto. Only higher clocks require to set manual IF ratio.

I also don't get this. The proof to me is in the numbers. Software or Soft-Hardware [BIOS] has to report something we can reasonably trust. What other program or way would one determine IF (FCLK) speed and RAM speed to determine if in-fact the ASRock x570 Taichi is running IF at 1800 in auto mode? I find no mention of it in BIOS; RM (when it was installed) reports same as HWinfo. If we truly can't trust what is being reported, then benchmarks should show us that if 'auto' FCLK is working as expected then the results should be reasonably close (within Std Dev).

Not every CPU runs at 3600/1800 IF 1:1 but most should run like that. Not every CPU will even boot at anything higher. Usually, higher memory capacity is causing problems with a higher mem clock and FCLK 1800+. My 3900X runs the same on ASUS and ASRock motherboards so up to 3800/1900 with a 2x8GB kit, up to 3733/1866 with a 2x16GB kit and up to 3600/1800 with a 2x32GB kit.

Typically, up to 3800, you shouldn't even change SOC voltage and most other things as long as the motherboard is not undervolting. It's like all at auto and play with ratios.
Your memory is based on Hynix IC so you can count on something like 3600-3800 16-19-19 or 16-20-20 and 1.35-1.45V. There can be also good results at 4133-4266 18-24-24 1.35-1.45V as long as the IC can handle it ... but I don't know how good IC is G.Skill using in these kits. If XMP is causing some weird behavior then you can try manual settings as I said and disable XMP. The motherboard should adjust all other timings which you can tweak manually later (first be sure that all is fully stable).

Absolutely, this all makes perfect sense. I was thinking if/when I go to 64GB I'll loose some UCLK speed and be forced down in FCLK.
Buildzoid's chart on this is excellent. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12poUIs4mYn6sd8Em78cKPk73lnux2rDiJHKCCD9g2QQ/edit#gid=0

I believe he is saying that memory is at 3600 on a r9 3900x

First, I really appreciate the help thus far and am very thankful. I am only seeking to understand what is going on.

This can't possibly be true. If it was then my 3600/auto R20 score of 6900 would equal the 3600/1800 R20 score of 7100.

I have poured over the scarce Zen2 IF documentation that I could find and I find no mention of the IF speed changing dynamically. If it was it would also incur a ram speed change with it. I have never heard nor read of DDR4 speeds changing nor can I find any documentation on that.

If this is indeed true, can someone point me to the documentation to how it's implemented?

I also don't get this. The proof to me is in the numbers. Software or Soft-Hardware [BIOS] has to report something we can reasonably trust. What other program or way would one determine IF (FCLK) speed and RAM speed to determine if in-fact the ASRock x570 Taichi is running IF at 1800 in auto mode? I find no mention of it in BIOS; RM (when it was installed) reports same as HWinfo. If we truly can't trust what is being reported, then benchmarks should show us that if 'auto' FCLK is working as expected then the results should be reasonably close (within Std Dev).

Absolutely, this all makes perfect sense. I was thinking if/when I go to 64GB I'll loose some UCLK speed and be forced down in FCLK.
Buildzoid's chart on this is excellent. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12poUIs4mYn6sd8Em78cKPk73lnux2rDiJHKCCD9g2QQ/edit#gid=0

OP says he scored 6900 on CB R20 with a Ryzen 3600. Am I missing someting?

Back