• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.5Ghz : i7 950 or 920 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kanzen

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help in choosing my next rig components.

I wanted to upgrade, CPU, Mobo, Ram & GPU my money allows me to go for :

- i7 950
- Rampage II Extreme
- OCZ 3x2Go Platinum 1600Mhz
- Asus GeForce GTX 285

Obviously overclocking would be involved, cooling (that I already have from my actual "thunder fried" rig) would be waterchilling (Swiftech MCP655 + Enzotech Luna + Innovatek WB for GTX 285 + of course a R22 chiller). I wanted to get to a mere 4.5 Ghz almost 24/7, does the 950 achieve that easily ? What about the 920 ?

I was on a E8400 (early rev) with a Striker II Extreme and I had much trouble to get stable there, even though I had some nice temps (~5°C idle, ~20°C load).

Thanx again for your help, it might sound ridiculous that I ask all these even though I'm waterchilling but as I heard QPI makes i7 a different deal to overclock, and besides I'm not a crazy overclocker that tries to pull the highest Ghz I can, I only OC to get the best performance within reasonable temps so that I can run it 24/7 without slowly frying my hardware.

4.5GHz places alot of stress on an i7 system, if you can achieve it. You won't find many people, if any, who run that kind of frequency 24/7. It's more of a benching frequency, and not for daily operations.
On a 920 it's doable, but rather hard to achieve with HT enabled. I max out at 4.2GHz if I want to stay stable, but have been a bit higher for benching. 4.0GHz is the ideal speed for this chip for just about anything, and thats where I keep it. With a higher multi or an EE chip, 4.5GHz is definitely doable, but I still don't think I'd want to do anything other than bench with it that high.

Do what you want though.

Last edited:
Thanx for your answer, I think i'm gonna go for the 920, can you tell me more about it ? Like temps, voltages etc ? Thank you.

A 950 gets you a 23x multiplier and 3.07 stock. I got mine easily to 4.32 on air on a Rampage Extreme II in just a few minutes. I'm sure there's more in it but waiting till I get a water setup before pushing it further.

Yes, it's not necessarily hard to get there. Staying there for any amount of time, may prove a challenge. The extra multi on the 950 will definitely be the biggest factor, and will likely allow for a bit less total system stress.

well it doesn't seem like money is much of an issue with the parts you are building. A 950 may help with the multi, but you never know. Tech9 runs his DO 920 at 4.4ghz 24/7 with a non-chilled water setup, not typical, but doable. I would keep my eye on the classifieds for any proven clockers that would help you reach your number. If it was me, I'd buy a 920 and if it didn't work I would sell it and buy another (until I was happy).

There are several people running i920's and i950's with HT on 4.4ghz for 24/7 without issue. Mine is 13hrs prime stable, and has not crashed on me yet in 6-7 weeks it has been there. Temps were an issue even at 4.4, maxed at 84C after 13hrs prime, so upgraded pump/pump top/fans/reversed fan intakes to cooler external case vs pushing out hot air through them/changed wb and now temps max at 74C.
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4544/i950440013hrsprime.jpg

But 4.5 w/HT is where scaling and corresponding temps gets crazy on many including mine. To get 4.5 even 4 hrs prime stable, need 1.4 vcore at load and 1.40 qpi/vtt, but temps too high to run longer runs in my 26C ambients...with chiller probably be ok, and may need less volts, and have better chance of running 4.5 24/7.

For 4.4 or 4.5 for 920 DO or 950 need luck with both vcore and qpi/vtt requirements. With 950 you wont need quite as much luck in qpi/vtt requirement since you can run with 23 multi and lower bclk, and hence lower qpi/vtt. And like others mentioned probably easier to do 4.5 for sure with 950, as bckl 215 on 920 is getting difficult to run 24/7 w/ that mhz, but for 4.4 many 920's are without issue...but dont see many 950's at 4.5ghz prime stable either.

I wanted the higher multi for benching in cold...for 24/7 there are DO 920's both better and worse than mine in vcore, qpi/vtt requirements for 4.4.

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help in choosing my next rig components.

I wanted to upgrade, CPU, Mobo, Ram & GPU my money allows me to go for :

- i7 950
- Rampage II Extreme
- OCZ 3x2Go Platinum 1600Mhz
- Asus GeForce GTX 285

Hi, I am about to by the similar rig, so if you have already have it give some comment.
My post about rig is: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=617841
Thanx a lot!:beer:

Back