• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4-pin to 6 pin adapter on which rails?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

Hi, I have a PSU with two 12V rails rated at 17 amps, includes one six pin pci-e plug and two chains of three 4-pin molex plugs each. I will be installing a video card that uses two 6-pins and thus I will use the included 6 pin plug as well as an adapter using two of the 6 molexes (one is used by my DVD drive but I have a SATA Blu-ray that will use a SATA power cable instead later (I have two or three of those too). Is it better to use two 4 pin molexes from the same chain or one from each? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Just fine to use multiple in the chain.

What PSU is this, though? Make / model / wattage.

Should be all good as long as it isn't too hungry of a GPU/CPU combo. Only 288w on 12v.
Good quality PSU though.

Should be all good as long as it isn't too hungry of a GPU/CPU combo. Only 288w on 12v.
Good quality PSU though.

Yeah, I'm going to post my multi-meter readings (video or pics) in a few weeks when I have all my components to display its peak system levels during a few benchmarks. I think I'll have a little more than 30 watts left over 95% of the time. I won't be running Furmark because I've read it's a little too artificial. Lost Planet 2, Metro 2033 though I will. Edit: I want to keep the consumption under 288w of course and I'm interested in seeing how the frequent the peaks reach 250-260 watts in a minute and how long- not much more than that though.

Last edited:
Back