• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4100 Questions vs Old Phenom with 660?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coolerman1992

Im thinking of getting a new rig im looking at the FX 8350 but the FX 4100 caught my eye because I can get it for 84.99 off newegg with promo right now but not sure how it will pair up vs my old AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.8ghz
also I want to look at a GTX 660 SC for 197 and free shipping off newegg but im worried it might bottleneck any ideas how well will the 4100 perform vs the old but still great amd Phenom II x4 and will it work good with the 660 or should I go for a 7850 2gb or 7870? also
what is an avg good overclock with a 990fx board and on a hyper x 212 evo?
how far should I expect to be able to overclock and be stable?

Depends on what you do with your rig.

If gaming, look at the charts.

If intense multi tasking/multi threading, a FX 8120/[email protected]/4.6GHz will serve you well, but you need solid cooling.

Sorry to say for AMD, but the way to go is Intel. Heck, even a 3 years old 920@stock is on pair or beats a 8350!

Let's not even talk about SB/IB/Haswel.

Or maybe you can find a cheap used 6 cores Thuban...

Just gaming lol is what im looking at is FPS... lol paired with a 660 ive made up my mind for that I just cant believe I can get a 660 super clocked EVGA for $197 free shipping so that's a good deal especially when bestbuy sells it for $285 lol

but as far as gaming ill be using crisis 3 & BF 3 and 4 ill also have two gtx 660 I might add and if the new haswell 4770k is a lick over $250 im not getting it or even considering it cause that'd just be bs... honestly in my opinion when later it will be way less and over the same performance for atleast a year or two even longer possibly. intel is dumb for going to 1150 also I think and newegg started selling z87 chipset so everyone knows by ASUS but they are out of stock BTW!

also if id go 8350 for $179 via newegg vs 3570k witch ive had the cpu its good and all but costs $230 not my luck when ur talk 10 - 15 fps difference between the two. :S idk? im lost and completely unasure what I want lol

Purely gaming?

Get a better heatsink (NH-D14, Venomous-X, long time investment ;)). Take your CPU to 4/4.1GHz and call it a day.

You won't get better FPS unless you move to Intel. A used 2500k with a a P67/Z68 mobo would be something to do.

You can find 2500K's for $120/$130, maybe less, that now Haswell is out. As long as they are box version, they come with a 3 years warranty. You can get a P67/z68 MoBo for around $80/$90 used (Asrock Extrem4 z77).

Your 212 will take this chip to 4.5/4.6GHz: fast enough to not bottleneck a 680 SLI!

LOL okay what i mean by upgrade from a 955 Phenom ii i dont have one now lol i sold it 4 months ago my whole rig the only thing i have so far for my rig is my hard drive, ssd, case, mousee, keyboard, screen, and ram. IF I STICK WITH AMD i have a spare 760g chipset motherboard that will handle 8 core FX cpu. so i luck with that but if i moved intel then i have to buy my two gpus my cpu and MOTHERboard :(

2 GPU's?

Much better to go with a single 670/7970 than with dual 660...

Grab a 7970 for $360, and a used z68/2500k combo for $200.

I could even say grab a used 7970 for $250/$270 and you'll have the whole bunch for $450/$470...

lol where TF could i get a 7970 for $250 i dont have access to classifeds on here and i found a i5 2500k for $150 on ebay. what about that combo for P67 for $200? can a p67 overclock that i5 2500k good?

Yep, got my 2600k to 5.1GHz with a p67 MoBo.

4.8GHz on air and 5.1 on a custom water loop.

Oh and the gpu upgrade isnt an option im getting the second one free and i cant spend a dime over $200 dont ask THERE IS NO WAY I CAN SPEND OVER $200 for the gpu so im getting that one, but i get second free dont ask,.. just leave it at that.

ok, check theUS classified (I guess you are frome the US, right?) and ebay.

I got the Thuban x6/MoBo in sig for €140... The SSD for €120, the PSU for €70, the DDR3 for €40 and the 24" LED for €65...

Sure you can get a good bargain on many components stalking the classified.

LOL thanks for the help but i ordered a shinny new brand new i might add latest awesome 4670k Haswell i5 Processor and a new Z87 Mobo for it, all i got left is the GPU and ill have to order a cpu cooler later on prolly in 2 more weeks are so idk yet but i spent a total of $400 on the mobo and the cpu :S newegg at midnight lol didnt have thier site updated but had newegg.ca updates so i went there got the newegg item id number then went back to newegg.com and entered it in that way cause even if u searched in the search bar for it none of the new cpus were availible tonight on newegg.com untill bought one hour ago, so i kindve cheated but i placed my order at 12:19 :D central stand US time :D yay me. now another $200 for the gpu and another $30 for the cpu cooler thats all i got left :D

Back