• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

430W Power- Enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djh101

Registered
Okay, so I went with Thermaltake TR2 430w power supply, as was recommended to me by the guy at Fry's. I was reading through my motherboard manual, though, and "For a fully configured system, we recommend that you use a power supply unit (PSU) that complies with ATX 12 V Specification 2.0 (or later version) and provides a minimum power of 450 W." So what exactly is a fully configured system? And should I return my PSU and get a higher wattage one? Here's my system:
-Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB 3.0
-AMD Athlon II x2 3.0GHz 2.0 MB Cache
-2 x 2gb 1333 DDR3 Memory
-CD/DVD RW
-Hitachi 500gb SATA Desktar
-Seagate IDE 120gb Barracuda 7200.9
-3 fans (120, 120, 140)
-8x USB (4 USB 2.0 & 2 USB 3.0 board, 2 USB 2.0 on case)

No, I'm just using the built in video. Just finished putting everything together, but I'm tired so I guess I'm going to wait until tomorrow to power it up.

That should be fine, that system might eat 150w at full burn, probably less.

Yup, I agree with what everyone has posted thus far. My folding rig (see sig) runs at 100% 24x7 and only pulls 340w, and that's with two fairly decent GPUs. You'll be fine. :D

I had a Thermaltake TR2 430w running on my second pc for about 5 years before it finally kicked the bucket. Pretty reliable considering the crap I put it through....Now I have a OCZ SXS 500w on the way.

Should be fine for your build. FYI the Thermaltake TR430 was available in several versions, and some of them are not very good. Most of the time they just took an HEC ATX 1.3 design and tossed a single PCIe 6-pin on it and called it a day. If it is one of those (has a single 18A +12v rail) then consider it a 350W PSU with low +12v. For what it is, seems okay, plus is a really good choice for replacement in older rigs (older than P4/A64).

I had that PSU. I read a review and it actually is an older tech PSU. Although it will do just fine if you put in a mid-level video card that requires PCIe power, you will have to upgrade to something better if you go with a mid-higher level VGA card, and maybe a quad core. You only have 18amps on ONE 12 volt rail.

Back