• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4670K Overclocking Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bascotie

Registered
Hi guys,

I am going through the "3 step" Haswell guide on overclocking and I wanted to reserve this thread for some questions that I know I'll be asking along the way.

Guide here: 3 step haswell overclocking

Great guide, just a couple questions for now:

1) I've set my CPU vcore to 1.25v and set it to 'override', which I assume means it won't change (like in adaptive?). I've set it to 4.2Ghz and everything is stable so far. After, let's say, 12 hours of testing, do I start bringing down the vcore voltage to see what the lowest vcore I can get is while keeping it at 4.2Ghz?

2) I'm not at steps 2 and 3 yet, but the memory I'm using has 2 XMP profiles, all the same settings but one at 1.35v and one at 1.5v. Will setting it to either of these make a difference in my CPU overclocking?

1) I've set my CPU vcore to 1.25v and set it to 'override', which I assume means it won't change (like in adaptive?). I've set it to 4.2Ghz and everything is stable so far. After, let's say, 12 hours of testing, do I start bringing down the vcore voltage to see what the lowest vcore I can get is while keeping it at 4.2Ghz?
1.25v seems like a lot for 4.2Ghz if you temps are fine I would try to load test at 4.4 with that voltage and see if its stable from there you could up the multi and voltage as need or lower your voltage if your happy with your clocks.

2) I'm not at steps 2 and 3 yet, but the memory I'm using has 2 XMP profiles, all the same settings but one at 1.35v and one at 1.5v. Will setting it to either of these make a difference in my CPU overclocking?
I never really liked XMP profiles they always seem to just throw a stupid amount of voltage at the memory controller to guarantee stability across a wide range of chips. Your much better off just manually setting your ram. :thup:

1.25v seems like a lot for 4.2Ghz if you temps are fine I would try to load test at 4.4 with that voltage and see if its stable from there you could up the multi and voltage as need or lower your voltage if your happy with your clocks.

I never really liked XMP profiles they always seem to just throw a stupid amount of voltage at the memory controller to guarantee stability across a wide range of chips. Your much better off just manually setting your ram. :thup:

Well I just noticed that at 4.2GHz with not much stress testing for long, the computer froze (no BSOD). The temperatures hit a high of 82C in real temp but mostly hovered around <70C, even during the latter part of the test.

I'm think I am doing something wrong here. Even at stock clocks I was getting pretty high temps in the bios (42C+). I'm thinking of putting the stock cooler on there to make sure it's not something with the aftermarket heatsink/fan.

I've seen a few Haswell chips that were crazy hot at stock clocks just luck of the draw unfortunately. :( Thats a lot of voltage for it to freeze at 4.2

I would set it @ 4.2 and keep lowering the Vcore until it BSOD, then up a couple of points! At least it will lower the heat as you lower the Vcore etc. AJ.

Just try it Bascotie nothing to lose anyway!!

Thanks guys,

I thought maybe I put the cooler on wrong but I just put in the stock cooler and it's reporting ridiculous temps! up to 66C just sitting in bios, can't be right.... i hope...

Last edited:
Well the word going around this site is these CPU's run very hot and really need a first class Air Cooler or a all in one water cooler. So if you are struggling then you my need to do a rethink about your cooling in your case etc! I see you have the Hyper 212 Evo, but how many fans do you have on it? Also ever thought about up grading those fans for better ones to help and get more cooling out of that unit? Anyway will post you this to read and look at for cooling etc. Best of luck AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.techspot.com/products/cooling/

As you can see from the score which are the best ones, then you need to do is match that to your case and motherboard! ;) :shrug:

Last edited:
Well I just noticed that at 4.2GHz with not much stress testing for long, the computer froze (no BSOD). The temperatures hit a high of 82C in real temp but mostly hovered around <70C, even during the latter part of the test.

I'm think I am doing something wrong here. Even at stock clocks I was getting pretty high temps in the bios (42C+). I'm thinking of putting the stock cooler on there to make sure it's not something with the aftermarket heatsink/fan.
1.25v for 4.2GHz seems like a lot. Lowering the voltage will reduce temps as well. That said, your temps are fine. I don't see a reason to get a better one if 4.2Ghz is your goal.

The bios has a slight load in it and will most always be much warmer than idle in windows. Put that Xig back on and get that crappy stock cooler off!

+1 the temps are fine and the Hyper 212 EVO cooler is fine for 4.2GHz I would reduce your voltage and see if it locks up.

Thanks guys,

I thought maybe I put the cooler on wrong but I just put in the stock cooler and it's reporting ridiculous temps! up to 66C just sitting in bios, can't be right.... i hope...
While in the BIOS / UEFI the CPU is under a partial load.

Thanks guys, I have been gradually reducing the voltage. I can't get 4.2GHz, even with 2.5volts (I've also tried lower).

Seems like 4.1 is the sweet spot and I'm down to about 1.9 volts stable :

Back