• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K 32 inch monitor stuck at 30hz, issue with displayport/GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingdrastic1

Registered
Hi, i bought the 32" 4k monitor Samsung LU32H850UMUXEN
However, i've set everything up and it's stuck at 30hz. There's no option for 60hz at 4k resolution.
I have a gtx 780 and i've done some research and i've come to the conclusion that my GPU does support 4k resolution at 60hz. Now i will be posting some pictures since the only way i can get my monitor to turn on is via the HDMI 1 cable. I have a display port1.2 cable but it doesn't seem to work or i'm not sure what's up with it. I've successfully connected all 3 wires to the back of my monitor, the issue is connecting them to the back of my PC.
The HDMI Cable connects just fine to the back of my PC, so does the USB wire into a regular usb slot at the back. However the display port cable doesn't fit anywhere or go into anything at the back, so what i did was, i found a small attachment that was in the box full of wires and it seems the display port cable does go into this attacher, i then attached that to a small port like you will see in the picture below. I will circle where i've inputted everything. Please help me, i have no idea what's wrong but i can't even get 4k to work on my 4k monitor at 60hz. Warning: My case is very dirty, i haven't cleaned it in a long time, try and ignore it, i know i need to clean it etc, don't ask me how long it has been! i will be buying one of those air sprayers i got last time and cleaning it in a day, but before then i'd really like to see 4k on my monitor like advertised.

These two pictures are of the back of the monitor
as you can see all fit in correctly which is expected as they came with the monitor. (I've not included the img code because pictures are too big)

As you can see the display port in the middle and hdmi 1 on the left.
Now the hdmi connects fine to a port at the back of my computer, the display port does not so i found this connector in the box that had all the wires in it and it seems to fit in this connector. After it fits, i connect it to a small little port at the back of my pc right under the usb section.

After it fits, i connect it to a small little port at the back of my pc right under the usb section.
Warning, very dirty case!
I've outlined where i then connect my display port after connecting it to the adaptor like seen in the above picture. Right below the usb section there's that small port thing you can see in the picture i have arrow pointing to and that's where it seems to fit/go in. However even when i have all 3 connected into back of pc + monitor, i'm still only getting 30hz at 4k and not 60hz. Can someone explain what is wrong? i've tried searching but i can't seem to find an answer, Thank you very much for any help!

Hi, i bought the 32" 4k monitor Samsung LU32H850UMUXEN
i've come to the conclusion that my GPU does support 4k resolution at 60hz.\

This is from nVidia's page for the GTX 780.

nVidia said:
- 3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.

Source: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications

Edit:

A topic on nVidias form troubleshooting the Display port on the GTX 780. https://forums.geforce.com/default/...00-series/displayport-not-working-on-gtx-780/

Same problem i used hdmi cable ...found out my card had 2x hdmi and 2x dp i used cable that came with monitor and it worked ...i did not know anydifference till then ... all i can say its a DP cable ....

This is from nVidia's page for the GTX 780.

Source: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications

Edit:

A topic on nVidias form troubleshooting the Display port on the GTX 780. https://forums.geforce.com/default/...00-series/displayport-not-working-on-gtx-780/

Thank you, i will try and troubleshoot.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Same problem i used hdmi cable ...found out my card had 2x hdmi and 2x dp i used cable that came with monitor and it worked ...i did not know anydifference till then ... all i can say its a DP cable ....

You didn't notice a difference? well i am getting 30hz at 4k which is terrible and a big difference in comparison to having 60hz which is what i'm after. I do have displayport cable + hdmi cable as seen in the pictures. I plug hdmi 1 in and to back of my pc and it works but 4k is at 30hz and no option is available to put it to 60hz. If i try to put my displayport cable in the monitor, it plugs in fine, however on the other end of the display port cable where it's supposed to go in the back of my pc, there's no slot where it fits, so i connect it to that adaptor or whatever you call it as seen in one of the pictures i posted and then it fits in a tiny port at the back, the picture that has an arrow pointing to where i can then fit it in. I'm not sure why my PC doesn't have a port where i can plug in a display port, or if using the adaptor and then connecting it to that small port is even making any effect. Doesn't seem like it as once i take off my HDMI, and i go to the display port on my monitor, it's just a black screen.

http://www.planar.com/blog/2018/2/28/displayport-14-vs-hdmi-21/

With hdmi i was 50mhz ... then changed cable and was 120 mhz

Right but how come i cant find anywhere to connect my displayport cable? i have to connect it to that adaptor so it turns into that small plug thing and then i plug it in where the arrow i've put is.
In this image is where i connect the hdmi port, i tried connecting display port next to it but it doesn't go in/fit. Excuse the dirtyness.

What is port next to hdmi

i have no idea unfortunately, i did try a little to put the displayport cable th ere but it didnt go in, so i try again, does it have some kind of locking mechanism on the cable? on top of the cable it seems like that but when i press it nothing happens.

Displayport to Displayport cable from GPU to monitor...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423220

I have this cable already, just i cant seem to fit it anywhere on my pc. Can you take a look at these pictures and tell me where exactly it's supposed to fit?

Uh.....did anyone besides me notice the OP is plugging into ports on his mobo and not a discreet GPU?

Yes i've been notified by someone elsewhere that i'm plugging into my mobo, however they've told me that my mobo/cpu i5 4670k supports 4k 60hz so even then it should not be an issue. I've been told that the gpu port is right next to my hdmi port, i tried that port but it didn't go in so i will try again tomorrow properly and see how it goes.
So i need to firstly unplug my hdmi port and then try and plug in my display port and see if it goes in and what happens on the monitor. Does the other wire usb affect anything, not even sure what that is for.

Youre card might not be supported
Someone posted earlier that it does. :)

i have no idea unfortunately, i did try a little to put the displayport cable th ere but it didnt go in, so i try again, does it have some kind of locking mechanism on the cable? on top of the cable it seems like that but when i press it nothing happens.

I have this cable already, just i cant seem to fit it anywhere on my pc. Can you take a look at these pictures and tell me where exactly it's supposed to fit?
Please host pics locally... resize if you need to. 3rd party l Iinks become dead after idle time and they won't be here when others click on them.

As was said already your GPU has a displayport (next to your hdmi port) and according to the monitor specs, there is one on it too (check the manual to identify).

Displayport does not fit in an hdmi port...they are different shapes.

Back