• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K or 1440p?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I'm looking for a new gaming monitor, but I'm not sure what to get. I need the following:

• 27" - 32" size
  • 100Hz+ refresh rate
  • GSync or Freesync

Now the monitor will dictate the rest of the build, especially the video card. At the moment there are very few 4K monitors with the above mentioned features, but there are a few 1440p monitors with those features. I'm willing to wait a few months if need be as I'm not desperate to make a purchase immediately. Since I'm planning on keeping the monitor for a few years, should I go Freesync or GSync? Obviously I'll be tied into either nVidia or AMD depending on what monitor I choose so I'm after a reliable, long term solution. I know that nVidia traditionally are better when it comes to releasing high end video cards, so is that a safer bet despite the Gsync price premium?

I'm guessing since your sig lists a 780 that you keep your cards for a while? If that's the case:

I highly recommend the monitor I have, found here. If you search the Pixio PX277 in amazon, you'll see a few other comparable monitors, including the ASUS MG278Q. They share the same panel, and the only notable difference between the two (other than branding) is the stand. The one on the Pixio is pretty unimpressive, though it holds a monitor well enough. I suppose the bezel is also much wider on the Pixio as well, though I'm not positive.

I run everything I throw at this monitor maxed out and rarely go below 144 FPS with my sig rig. Modern high end cards will easily handle this monitor, regardless of which camp you pick, I'd wager.

Also, I came from UHD at 60Hz, and I can tell you that in game, the only difference in picture quality that I can notice is that the menus in the less-than-4k-optimized games are much harder to read at UHD, and scaling at this screen size is a must. QHD is a better resolution for this screen size, especially for gaming, in my opinion.

I'm guessing since your sig lists a 780 that you keep your cards for a while? If that's the case:

Also, I came from UHD at 60Hz, and I can tell you that in game, the only difference in picture quality that I can notice is that the menus in the less-than-4k-optimized games are much harder to read at UHD, and scaling at this screen size is a must. QHD is a better resolution for this screen size, especially for gaming, in my opinion.

I should've been a little more specific. I plan on building up a whole new machine in the next few months, and I'll certainly be getting a decent video card with enough VRAM since even at 1080P I'm finding that my 3GB of VRAM is already starting to be a bottleneck.

With regards to scaling, we have a 55" 4K monitor at work and that has terrible scaling with some apps to the point I can barely see them (and I have good eyesight). If I get a decent 1440p monitor, it should still be "relevant" for AAA gaming for at least 5 years, right?

Yes I would imagine it to be relevant that long. If you wanted a gaming 4k I'd look into the monitor Asus will be launching shortly with all the specs you listed.

1440p is the new 1080p IMO. Will stick around for years, is a good balance of hardware requirements vs 4k, but still gives you that extra screen real estate and around ~27 inches that slight increase in DPI vs 24" 1080p allows you to keep that AA down to 2x or 4x vs the 8x you'd want on the 1080p screen (to help increase FPS/reduce load on your GPU).

I've used a 1440p monitor since my HD 5850 days, and would not go back, Which unfortunately makes it very expensive when my monitor dies or I want something better...

The Asus ROG Swfit 144/165hz G Sync IPS would be my go to.. But my BenQ 1440p 60hz does the job and I don't game enough to warrant the purchase without my current breaking .. XD. Also the QC issues with those monitors have been fairly well documented, so I'm waiting for the next gen anyway.

1440p is where it's at! Especially if over 100hz.

IPS is so much better than TN for color reproduction and I move around in my seat in front of the screen so the colors are solid with IPS, not on TN or VA panels.

Thanks for your advice everyone! I ended up with the Asus PG27Q (IPS). I'm very happy with it. Now I need a new gaming PC to suit, which I've started a new thread about.

I would look at OLED, HDR and black levels, contrast ratio (native), colour accuracy...

I would look at OLED, HDR and black levels, contrast ratio (native), colour accuracy...

Looks like he bought the Asus PG27Q back in June. For the cost of that monitor, I sure hope it's still going strong!

Back