• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.25 bay pump/res combos any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I'm looking to WC a new build with 2 blocks, a 360 rad and 240 rad.

My question is if 5.25 bay pump/res combos are any good, or if it's better quality to get a separate pump and 5.25 res, or pump and tube res top.

I've read the stickies, but I'm still not clear on whether D5/DCC are types of pumps, or specific pumps that a company makes. So I don't know if one included in a 5.25 bay, for instance below, is any good:

http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/acrylic-dual-bayrespump-combo-with-one-ddc

The one you linked to has a great pump and will do the job you want for what you've listed. It doesn't have pwm control though like the one atmin linked to.

Yes, that would absolutely work!

I'm running an almost identical loop off of my MCP35X, and the MCP50X is an improved version of the 35X.

Cool! So then you'd just screw in G1/4" thread barb/compressions for the inlet & outlet, right?

And make sure you get the $140 res and pump combo.

The MCP50x is a totally new design from bottom an up. They aren't using Laing pumps anymore and decided to create their own (MCP50x), hence the much lower price than a MCP-35x.

I notice they aren't placing the temperature screen on the res anymore. I think I know why. The pins for the molex power connection keep coming dislodged.

And make sure you get the $140 res and pump combo.

Roger.

The MCP50x is a totally new design from bottom an up. They aren't using Laing pumps anymore and decided to create their own (MCP50x), hence the much lower price than a MCP-35x.

I notice they aren't placing the temperature screen on the res anymore. I think I know why. The pins for the molex power connection keep coming dislodged.

Is that a "good to know" or are you warning me of potential quality issues?

One thing about bay reservoirs that you do need to know and it all depends on the case and the res. Sometimes the res is smaller than the 5 1/4 inch bay and you have small gaps on either side.

I like how this reservoir has a bigger tank which makes priming and bleeding easier than their shallow version before. On the cons, it also doesn't seem to support a dual pump setup nor a temp gauge which I like to have and need since I use two pumps. I would also eye the Monsoon Series Two res as well but it lacks dual pump support.

One thing about bay reservoirs that you do need to know and it all depends on the case and the res. Sometimes the res is smaller than the 5 1/4 inch bay and you have small gaps on either side.

Could this be fixed with rubber washers or is it a hit-or-miss thing depending on the case & res?

I like how this reservoir has a bigger tank which makes priming and bleeding easier than their shallow version before. On the cons, it also doesn't seem to support a dual pump setup nor a temp gauge which I like to have and need since I use two pumps. I would also eye the Monsoon Series Two res as well but it lacks dual pump support.

At most I would add another block down the road, but I'll probably stick with single GPU solutions, so one pump should do me fine.
The temp gauge would be nice, but it's not necessary for me.

I'll take a look at that.

Edit: I'd have to mount the pump somewhere else for that res, which was something I was trying to avoid by using a pump/res combo. I'd like to install intake fans on the case bottom, so the only spot for a pump in the case other than on the res would be on top of the PSU, unless there's a way to attached them nicely to a case wall or something.

Last edited:
At most I would add another block down the road, but I'll probably stick with single GPU solutions, so one pump should do me fine.
The temp gauge would be nice, but it's not necessary for me.

I'll take a look at that.

One MCP35X/MCP50X wouldn't even bat an eye at two rads, a CPU, and 2 GPUs.

Edit: I'd have to mount the pump somewhere else for that res, which was something I was trying to avoid by using a pump/res combo. I'd like to install intake fans on the case bottom, so the only spot for a pump in the case other than on the res would be on top of the PSU, unless there's a way to attached them nicely to a case wall or something.

Which reservoir are you talking about? They all can support a pump.

One MCP35X/MCP50X wouldn't even bat an eye at two rads, a CPU, and 2 GPUs.

+1 :thup:

Which reservoir are you talking about? They all can support a pump.

The one that was mentioned.
Edit: Monsoon series you mentioned.

I'm not super familiar with pumps and reservoirs, what do you mean they can all support a pump? Do you mean any pump can be directly mounted to the back of a reservoir?

If you're talking about the newly released Maelstrom V2, it only supports a single MCP50x.

If you're talking about a Monsoon Series Two, it can support a single DDC or a D5 pump behind it. I really like the LED feature and silver bullets to this reservoir.

Back